Got our travel tags today, but...

longterm

5 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I love that you have the higher end luggage, but I don't want to pay for airlines to scratch and damage it.  

I don't put my money into fancy designer luggage...My luggage is Tumi.   They would survive a nuclear explosion.  It is expensive luggage due to being rugged...the porter gorillas have a hard time destroying them. 

Long ago we stopped buying the cheap luggage, only to find it come out on the belt in pieces.   

• Like 2

We do the same--we only use the red Viking tags for Viking cruises. What I was really needing were the paper baggage tags that help baggage crew get our bags to our stateroom. 

All good, TA is forwarding my wife's tags, and I think Viking's sending us a new package anyway. Somehow, when we added the TA to our booking, Viking changed the mailing address for me, but not for her. No biggie.

58 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Affixing Viking Logos to our foreheads as I type. Flying today and taking no chances Viking misses us.

HAHA! I do like the Viking Luggage tags and have them on my stuff even if I am not flying to a Viking cruise. 

Phil, what cruise are flying to have another great vacation?

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We use the Viking Red luggage tags when travelling to and from a Viking cruise, but not for non Viking travel either personal or business.

Why?  For those that know Viking, they also know that it is higher end price and we feel that these tags are very visible and could set you up as a target for unwanted attention.

They arn't that high end, more middle market price particularly for the lower cabin categories, they are about the same price as a good hotel. 

In an airport nobody cares. We have expensive brand cases but only because they were on clearance. I wouldn't have paid full price for them. 

We did have a delayed luggage situation, when filling the form in we discovered our inexpensive but presentable holiday clothes were worth less than the case they were in. 😁

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:27 AM, longterm said:

Thanks, what a kind offer; we have a bunch of them as well. I agree about the stickers, but like the lemming that I will be in that situation, I'm sure I'll stick it to my shirt. 🙂

They don't give away those nice brown pouches any longer; we have several of them, which are great for packing.

I miss those pouches & the travel book.

20211025_141407.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, island lady said:

I don't put my money into fancy designer luggage...My luggage is Tumi.   They would survive a nuclear explosion.  It is expensive luggage due to being rugged...the porter gorillas have a hard time destroying them. 

Long ago we stopped buying the cheap luggage, only to find it come out on the belt in pieces.   

We have some Away suitcases, which are really great; after traveling all over Italy and bouncing down cobblestone streets, my bag has held up amazingly well. 

The only issue I've had is that the pull-up handle started sticking; I contacted Away, and they told me they didn't have one at the moment for my carryon, so they sent me a whole new suitcase. Got it in about 3 days! What a great company; that kind of customer service is so satisfying.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I miss those pouches & the travel book.

20211025_141407.jpg

Perhaps we have been on too many Viking Cruises because we have so many red luggage tags that we will probably never use in our lifetime, and too many of these pouches too!  

I use these for different packing options but wish there was a way to effectively label them on the outside as to what is inside...  If I have 3 or 4 of these in the carry on, I am zipping and peaking to find what I want, and as it always goes, what I want is in the last one opened.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Perhaps we have been on too many Viking Cruises because we have so many red luggage tags that we will probably never use in our lifetime, and too many of these pouches too!  

I use these for different packing options but wish there was a way to effectively label them on the outside as to what is inside...  If I have 3 or 4 of these in the carry on, I am zipping and peaking to find what I want, and as it always goes, what I want is in the last one opened.

Those tags go for as much as $10 each on the Bay.

There are four different pouches - which apparently are no longer given out.

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Really?  We have probably 10-14 tags that we would gladly sell... Gonna check that out.

I think we have three different colour pouches.

On 9/7/2023 at 8:05 AM, CDNPolar said:

Why?  For those that know Viking, they also know that it is higher end price and we feel that these tags are very visible and could set you up as a target for unwanted attention.

Bingo. When you're traveling you want to be low key.... not advertising to the world that you have money.

It also drives me nuts when X, Princess and HAL leave those free tote bags in rooms and then you see ppl disembark the ship at every port with it. Way to go at advertising to the world that you're not from there, and you probably have no idea the town or city you're in being high level details. I don't know if Viking provides those tote bags.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, longterm said:

We do the same--we only use the red Viking tags for Viking cruises. What I was really needing were the paper baggage tags that help baggage crew get our bags to our stateroom. 

Yup, and I tag at the cruise terminal or pier.

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

What people ask for and what people get are two different things... much like auto and car sales. Also, eBay and shipping will take a healthy cut.

6 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

What people ask for and what people get are two different things... much like auto and car sales. Also, eBay and shipping will take a healthy cut.

I was not referring to what people ask for. I was referring to completed sales - "Those tags go for as much as $10 each on the Bay." And yes, eBay, not surprisingly, has fees. And yes, if you ship shipping must be paid for - again not surprisingly. And yes, the poster will do better on the Bay with his tags than leaving them in his drawer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

Green, blue, grey, brown.

We also have 2 Viking mesh bags...a red & a gray. They are see through so handy to put my passport & other documents in to carry & grab inside my purse/carry on. They have a small Viking logo tab on the side. Love all the free quality gifts they use to send...made you feel so special & pampered when those were included with your travel tags for an upcoming trip. Also have a black very nice quality documents pouch with a round metal Viking logo on the front. We've been traveling with Viking for a very long time...(before Ocean ships). We were so impressed with the organization, quality & care that went into each adventure have never switched back to any other cruise line.....hope that never changes too drastically! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gma1 said:

Viking mesh bags...a red & a gray

We've received the mesh bags, packing cubes, cosmetic zippered travel bags, a power adapter and at least 8 of the felt bags (all 4 colors) before they discontinued them.  I suppose we miss most the brochure that accompanied the final documents.  

• Like 3

If we are NOT sailing with Viking, we remove the Viking Tags.  Porters tend to gather up all the Viking Tagged luggage they see to move to a transfer bus.  WE had to stop a porter from putting our luggage on this cart with other Viking tagged luggage.  The porters replied "Not Viking, so sorry;. you will be back"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, MSEm said:

If we are NOT sailing with Viking, we remove the Viking Tags.  Porters tend to gather up all the Viking Tagged luggage they see to move to a transfer bus.  WE had to stop a porter from putting our luggage on this cart with other Viking tagged luggage.  The porters replied "Not Viking, so sorry;. you will be back"

Had not thought of this, however we only use Vikng Tags when travelling with Viking.

This could very well happen as in our most recent trip to Eastern Europe, there were several cruise and tour groups in the same hotel and all were leaving for the airport at similar times... this could easily get your luggage on the wrong bus.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:49 PM, MSEm said:

Good point!  This also nearly happened with us.

You are definitely "identified" if you have the red luggage tag on.

I also remember going on a Viking cruise and talking with a woman who picked up her suitcase with a Viking tag, saying what a fun cruise this will be.  She said she wasn't going on any cruise but had been years ago.  Ha!

On 9/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, island lady said:

My higher end luggage sets me up more for that than a little red tag...but I get what you are saying.  So far no problem...yet.  😦

Never any problems with our peasant level luggage…

• Haha 1