Move-Up : Who wins; who loses

phoenix_dream

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Every auction including online like ebay or in person can have fraud

With the Apex SV, those are often in demand once people realize the cons of an IV so yes, someone probably bid a very high amount.  FYI, on my May Beyond sailing a SV was more than both CC and AQ

Exactly!  SV’s are so coveted!  Except for the longer walk, SV’s are just smaller Sunset suites without The Retreat.  That was our impression, as we have cruised in both, one after the other in a b2b.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

So at the end of the day if I don't get it I will start my cruise disappointed and wondering how the heck much I have to bid to win!  (yes, I'll get over it, and yes, I'll do my best to have a great cruise anyway, but still, not a good way to begin the vacation).  Honestly, I would rather know now if I am even in the running and then I could adjust my expectations.

Not being rude, but the expectations should me you are NOT getting it.  No disappointment then as that's no way to start a vacation.  Could you just change your booking to the cabin you really want? 

• Like 2

Celebrity is winning because they are getting you to spend more money than you planned on a cabin that would have sailed empty.

I don’t play their game.  I don’t make any bids. I am not going to spend more money because it is a “bargain”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Exactly!  SV’s are so coveted!  Except for the longer walk, SV’s are just smaller Sunset suites without The Retreat.  That was our impression, as we have cruised in both, one after the other in a b2b.

We have downgraded our CS to an SV on Apex next year. The price difference was huge. On our Beyond sailing this year the difference between a suite guarantee and an SV (when AI factored in with OBC) wasn’t huge so I went for the guarantee. Then they cut the butler role 😬

WE travelled with friends in September 2021 both couples in Sky suites, got the Move up emails and bid for Royal Suites. Neither of us where successful but on check in at the pier 2 RS still available , went to Guest relations and both got the upgrades for half of the move up minimum bids the best part was they used our OBC so it was their own money paying for the upgrade!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, miched said:

Celebrity is winning because they are getting you to spend more money than you planned on a cabin that would have sailed empty.

I don’t play their game.  I don’t make any bids. I am not going to spend more money because it is a “bargain”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Before this move up program they actually made calls and offered upgrades. I got one for a 15 night cruise. I was oceanview and they offered veranda for 100 CDN a couple, CC class for 200 and aqua for 300. We grabbed aqua and were thrilled.

Some like us start low and hope for a 'deal' allowing the funds for it

12 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

Not being rude, but the expectations should me you are NOT getting it.  No disappointment then as that's no way to start a vacation.  Could you just change your booking to the cabin you really want? 

And not to be rude, but if you are going to start out disappointed because you didn’t get the cabin you wanted, then next time just book the cabin you truly want to avoid disappointment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, emmas gran said:

WE travelled with friends in September 2021 both couples in Sky suites, got the Move up emails and bid for Royal Suites. Neither of us where successful but on check in at the pier 2 RS still available , went to Guest relations and both got the upgrades for half of the move up minimum bids the best part was they used our OBC so it was their own money paying for the upgrade!!

I didn't know you could use OBC for an upgrade.  I would have used it for the three upgrades I have gotten over the years.

13 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

Not being rude in return, I prefer people not telling me how to feel. Like any gamble, one always hopes they win even if they know they might not. Vegas was built on that concept. Yes I could change my booking but if I could have afforded it I would have done it in the first place.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dateacher said:

I didn't know you could use OBC for an upgrade.  I would have used it for the three upgrades I have gotten over the years.

I have never, ever heard of OBC being able to be used for upgrades.  Maybe it's being confused with FCC?

Edited by phoenix_dream

23 minutes ago, RD64 said:

And not to be rude, but if you are going to start out disappointed because you didn’t get the cabin you wanted, then next time just book the cabin you truly want to avoid disappointment.

And yet this does feel rude. If I could have afforded it originally I would have.  I was asking for input on how the system works, not how I should manage my personal decisions. 

The easiest place to get the answer to this is from the company that provides the service to Celebrity (and pretty much every other cruise line):

Cruise | Plusgrade

[quote]Our solution analyzes available inventory and your pool of pledged upgrades to recommend the optimal selection of passengers to upgrade.[/quote]

There's even a quote from Celebrity:

[quote]

"We were running a very manual upgrade process. The biggest differentiator, when introducing MoveUp [the upgrade platform], is we realized that guests are willing to pay way more than we would ever have asked for. So, higher bids, huge guest excitement, and strong ability to reach our guests directly and through our trade community. In just 3 months, the revenue is 10x what we would have done in our previous program."

-Melissa Beckwith, Director, Revenue Management, Celebrity Cruises[/quote]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Which ship?  On Beyond, if I wanted to upgrade, it was the MoveUp full price; this suite stayed vacant until a  future cruise winner got three free days!   We kept our SV, at a very cheap price.  Our suite concierge was very surprised at the response we got.  Celebrity wanted almost 14,500 for an 8 day cruise and their choice to get zero, as no one paid the price.  We were very pleased with our SV and felt Celebrity did us a favor by saying no, leaving us with extra cash.  That’s why if you are fine with the cabin you have, there is no “sting” from not securing a MoveUp.

This was May of 2023 and the newest E-class ship.  
You got a great deal back then! 

Edited by Lastdance

First time on Celebrity in November - very excited! Sailing on Beyond after over 50 cruises with Royal. I am Diamond Plus on Royal, so Elite on Celebrity.

I am sailing in an Edge Single Stateroom with infinite Verandah.  I got the Move Up offer and was able to bid on just about every category, including The Retreat suites.  I bid on Concierge Class and Aqua Class cabins.

Has anyone that was booked in a single stateroom ever been upgraded?  I know I am paying double, but just curious.

Thanks 🙂

On 9/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I didn't realize the minimums changed.  Interesting. 

I've seen the opposite also.   Maybe the ship wasn't selling well.     I bid when first release and then later checked and the Max bid had dropped below my bid.    I went in and adjusted accordingly and ended up winning.   

I have to point out I have only seen this ONCE.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:59 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I've seen the opposite also.   Maybe the ship wasn't selling well.     I bid when first release and then later checked and the Max bid had dropped below my bid.    I went in and adjusted accordingly and ended up winning.   

I have to point out I have only seen this ONCE.

How can you see the current bid minimum? When I look at my bid all I see is pending with no $.