ripped off?

md9

cruise.gif

Italy, Croatia, & Montenegro, Mediterranean
Rome to Rome on Celebrity Beyond, Celebrity Cruises
Cabin Details: Sky Suite 1, Cabin Grade S1
Fare Code: K8293541
Duration: 10 nights
Embark 7th Jul 2023, 17:00, Returns 17th Jul 2023, 06:00 ((Cruise Only))
$800 On Board Credit
Adults 2, Children 0, Infants 0

Date

Name

Arrive

Depart

7th Jul 2023

Rome

17:00

9th Jul 2023

Olympia

08:00

18:00

10th Jul 2023

Corfu

11th Jul 2023

Dubrovnik

23:00

12th Jul 2023

Kotor

07:00

14th Jul 2023

Sicily

15th Jul 2023

Naples

16th Jul 2023

Florence/Pisa

09:00

19:00

17th Jul 2023

Rome

06:00

€14365.00

Includes Pre-Paid Gratuities

Includes $800 On-Board Credit

$800.00

Final Price

Total

€14365.00

Per-Person (2 people)

€7182.50

Kind regards

Hi All, this is what my agent charged me. He claimed he had given me a great price and rebated 2/3rds of his commission. I found out on board we had significantly been overcharged. It was 1 adult 1 child no alcohol, but we were booked as 2 adults with alcohol, he said no price difference. 

Does anybody have any supporting evidence from your own experience to show me how much he over charged us, or alternatively if you paid similar and feel this was a great price, please do correct me. It was booked in March 23.

Many thanks for your help

MD

There are no child fares (unless there is a rare 'kids sail free' promotion) so that part rings true as there would be no difference in price for 1 adult + 1 child vs 2 adults.

Suite pricing includes a Premium drinks package, it is not a separate line item so no saving there either although your child would have got the alcohol free version, but no lower price for that.

So you are left with having paid around $750 pp/day for a Sky Suite...  I've seen worse...

Why is your invoice in Euro when you are based in the UK according to your profile?

Generally it isn't cheaper to use an EU based agent if you are UK based.

32 minutes ago, md9 said:

cruise.gif

Italy, Croatia, & Montenegro, Mediterranean
Rome to Rome on Celebrity Beyond, Celebrity Cruises
Cabin Details: Sky Suite 1, Cabin Grade S1
Fare Code: K8293541
Duration: 10 nights
Embark 7th Jul 2023, 17:00, Returns 17th Jul 2023, 06:00 ((Cruise Only))
$800 On Board Credit
Adults 2, Children 0, Infants 0

Date

Name

Arrive

Depart

7th Jul 2023

Rome

9th Jul 2023

Olympia

10th Jul 2023

Corfu

11th Jul 2023

Dubrovnik

23:00

12th Jul 2023

Kotor

14th Jul 2023

Sicily

15th Jul 2023

Naples

16th Jul 2023

Florence/Pisa

09:00

19:00

17th Jul 2023

Rome

06:00

€14365.00

Includes Pre-Paid Gratuities

Includes $800 On-Board Credit

$800.00

Final Price

Total

€14365.00

Per-Person (2 people)

€7182.50

Kind regards

Hi All, this is what my agent charged me. He claimed he had given me a great price and rebated 2/3rds of his commission. I found out on board we had significantly been overcharged. It was 1 adult 1 child no alcohol, but we were booked as 2 adults with alcohol, he said no price difference. 

Does anybody have any supporting evidence from your own experience to show me how much he over charged us, or alternatively if you paid similar and feel this was a great price, please do correct me. It was booked in March 23.

Many thanks for your help

MD

This is definitely on the high side for a sky suite but I wouldn't say its egregious, as I've seen worse.

When you say "I found out on board we had significantly been overcharged"--is that based on comparing the rate you paid to others?  Remember that people who book early (such as when onboard another cruise) often get much lower rates, so comparing your fare to theirs is not going to establish that your travel agent ripped you off.

• Thanks 1

Assuming you talked to other people onboard and felt they paid a better price? Rates adjust all the time. You booked an expensive ship, expensive itinerary during an expensive time of year. There is no child rate and suite bookings comes with drinks by default. You were accepting of the price when you booked and assuming you did your research up front, agreed to pay it. As they say...that ship has sailed. Literally. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lol. Just because you may have paid more than what someone else on board claimed to have paid does not mean you were ripped off. As previously stated, the second person in a suite pays same price, regardless of age. Gratuities and the premium beverage package are an included part of the fare. 

Also, the cruise lines use dynamic pricing; just like the airlines do. Meaning that fares can change dramatically  (up or down) over time, even day to day.

• Thanks 1

No, I doubt you were ripped off by your agent.  But one way to be sure is to ask him for a copy of the Celebrity booking confirmation.  They should match - if not line for line (as some agents may show different line items) they should show the same total.  Celebrity (as do most lines) issues one with each booking to the agents.  At least in the US they are always provided. If not by the agent automatically, then by request of them from the customer.

And if your ‘source’ of cheaper rates is other passengers ……. beware of the ‘source’. I find many (not all) who are interested in sharing what it costs them, tend to, shall we say, ‘exaggerate’ a bit. And thats why I dont get into discussions certainly on board and not on this forum on what I paid. “Oh, I got a better price”….”Oh, I got a better price, free flights, free Specialty Dining; free tours”….you get the idea.

As stated, there are no child rates and your arent charged for drinks in a suite, it part of the ‘deal’ and for any passenger, including your child. I guess your TA could have checked on some ‘deal’ for a child, but they are very much usually charged the same. 

I Very Much stay away from checking what others pay for their cruse: there is always someone onboard who beat your rate, no matter what they actually paid.

And of course, all kinds of deals are available. I usually get better rates using my TA who has group rates on many cruises. Just booked an Aqua SR and it didnt show the 75% for the 2nd person; called my TA. Turns out the rate she found beat the cost of a 100% and 75% rate for the room. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You booked in March ‘23 for a July’23 cruise so you’re not going to pay the same price as those who booked earlier than you, unless there was some sale. 
You were given a substantial OBC as well amd you travelled in high season on an Edge class. All these things have to be factored in. 

Hopefully you’ve had a great cruise, don’t overanalyze now. You’re in the ballpark that many are paying for a SS so your price sounds about right. 

Although that sailing has passed, you can check the price for the same cabin on the next nearest equivalent.

20th Oct, Celeb Beyond, S1, Rome to Rome, 10 nights.

And the price is...EUR7188 per person.

You weren't ripped off (in terms of that being the market rate).