Travel insurance, who do you use for trip interruptions etc

rowval

Hi 

I booked a celebrity cruise today, thru celebrity. They said that they cannot sell Canadians travel insurance

who do you use? I wanted insurance in case a medical issue comes up and we cannot travel. We already have out of country medical insurance 

thanks

2 hours ago, rowval said:

Hi 

I booked a celebrity cruise today, thru celebrity. They said that they cannot sell Canadians travel insurance

who do you use? I wanted insurance in case a medical issue comes up and we cannot travel. We already have out of country medical insurance 

thanks

We bought cancellation/interruption insurance through RBC.  We had some on our credit card but topped it up to cover the cost of the cruise.  We have our out of country medical insurance through Tour Med.  Also Canadian

I’m just finishing up with a complicated (in my mind) claims procedure for emergency medical and 2 different trip interruptions on a 3 month holiday earlier this year.   Medical involved surgery in Australia and trip interruption involved that surgery, catching up to a cruise as well as an interruption non medical related at the end of the cruise in Canada.  catching a long distance train tour.

I used Tugo insurance bought via our insurance broker and they covered all my claims…. It has taken awhile to get the checks but it does involve Manitoba Health as well.   

We had separate trip interruption policy’s and bought a medical policy as well…

I am open to all and any questions if there are any

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

And federal government employee or retiree can get an annual Medoc policy. 

We have MEDOC and are satisfied with it.  I believe there are all kinds of other groups with access to the plan (or variations of it in any case).  A person might want to check the Johnson insurance webite to determine eligibility.

• Like 1

Currently we are using Blue Cross annual plan, and that was a decision made for several reasons... 

The cost was very reasonable for 365 days unlimited trips up to 17 days - I think - BUT the max payout per person is $5,000.00 regardless of the trip cost.

We gambled with this as our first cruise under this policy was close to double the payout per person, but the next trip we are taking is land based and the non-refundable portion is less than the 5k per person.

Overall, we always hope we don't have to use it, but we feel it is necessary, and this Blue Cross plan met our needs with risk we were willing to take on the first trip.

And this covers us even if we want to do a weekend to Vegas or a quick PV Mexico around Christmas.

We feel that this annual plan was a good deal.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I use and like Manulife, and buy it through Costco for competitive rates. 

Interesting.... we are Costco members and we priced Manulife through Costco a couple of years ago, and the cost was cheaper for us to go direct to Manulife on their website.  Not significant, but there definitely was no savings going through Costco.

Have you priced them separately?  Through Costco and then direct?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

Definitely Costco Manulife.....way cheaper than AMA....Credit cards don't cover you at all if you are 65

Sorry, but that's an incorrect generalization, certainly as regards medical coverage. My Visa Infinite Privilege card definitely does cover medical, but has different conditions and shorter coverage periods if you're over 65 requiring supplemental coverage at extra $$$s for longer periods.  I'm a bit north of 65 now ;o( and I do have to buy the extra coverage at slightly extra cost if I want to  be covered for an entire trip.

• Like 1

With stand-alone insurance,  it goes almost without saying that Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).  It's not one size fits all, and it's important to shop around for price and coverage.  I always do. 

Costco exec members have preferential pricing for Manulife policies, and to date, I've found substantial savings going that route, with pricing that undercuts other companies, good coverage and good service, 

YMMV. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Sorry, but that's an incorrect generalization, certainly as regards medical coverage. My Visa Infinite Privilege card definitely does cover medical, but has different conditions and shorter coverage periods if you're over 65 requiring supplemental coverage at extra $$$s for longer periods.  I'm a bit north of 65 now ;o( and I do have to buy the extra coverage at slightly extra cost if I want to  be covered for an entire trip.

I found the same with CIBC IP Visa , it was the least expensive option 

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Plus the 2% cash back I assume.

I hadn't even factored that in, to be honest.  It's Manulife that sells the product and invoices me (not Costco), so I don't actually know if I get the 2% rebate on it.  But now I'm curious and I'll ask Costco if a 2% rebate is provided.

3 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I hadn't even factored that in, to be honest.  It's Manulife that sells the product and invoices me (not Costco), so I don't actually know if I get the 2% rebate on it.  But now I'm curious and I'll ask Costco if a 2% rebate is provided.

I thought it might be like booking a cruise, the money goes directly to the cruise line, but you still get the 2%. If Manulife invoices you directly, though, perhaps not. Hopefully you'll get a pleasant surprise!  

On 9/9/2023 at 9:51 AM, d9704011 said:

We have MEDOC and are satisfied with it.  I believe there are all kinds of other groups with access to the plan (or variations of it in any case).  A person might want to check the Johnson insurance webite to determine eligibility.

Our plan is a better price due to the base insurance that we have.. already medical for 40 days