River cruise featuring Germany

JLobdell

Hello everyone!  I've been on one river cruise previously- AmaWaterways Christmas Markets on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam - and absolutely loved it, despite being the youngest on board and initial worries about river levels.  It was a trip I took with my mother, grandmother, and aunt.

I've convinced my parents we should do another river cruise. Mom and dad have always been interested in Germany and other than the previous river cruise haven't been.  Herr are the parameters I was given: Aug to Oct 2024, goes to Germany, 7-12 days in length.  In trying to not do the exact same itinerary as before I need some more help with my research.  So far I've looked at Ama, Viking, and Avalon.  Personally I like Ama's Europe's Rivers and Castles (Luxembourg to Nuremberg), but have also considered Ama's Treasures of the Main Rhine (Nuremberg to Amsterdam), Viking's Cities of Lights (Prague to Paris), and Avalon's German Grandeur (Basel to Nuremberg).  The Viking and Avalon cruises are slightly longer than the AmaWaterways ones...

But I was wondering if anyone had any input on these itineraries. I would again likely be the youngest at 39 with my parents in their upper 60s/low 70s.  Overall my dad is very active, my mother less so but definitely not what I would consider slow.  I like Ama for their variety of excursions with different paces depending on desire and capabilities. For those that have been on Viking I see their excursions listed as one free per port, is that pick one of three and it is free and if you want to do more it costs money... or is there only one free option that most end up doing so you're in a big group? (Hopefully that difference makes sense).  What else should I be considering?  Which trip would you go on?

1 hour ago, JLobdell said:

Which trip would you go on?

Ama Rivers and Castles. It is the itinerary route that came to my mind even before I read your choices. Remich (Luxembourg) to Nuremberg gives you the lovely Moselle with a bit of French influence, the Rhine Gorge and the Main with its cities and villages. If you can at the beginning, spend a day in Luxembourg or cross over the river into France. Connect to Munich at the end for another interesting German city. Alternative company to Ama: Avalon. Disclosure: I have a personal dislike of Viking (marketing and payment policy).

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JLobdell said:

I'm sure there are no bad choices.

That is totally correct!

I am partial towards the Mosel and would follow notamermaid’s recommendation.
It doesn’t appear that the itinerary includes any significant time to tour Nuremberg, you might enjoy an extra day there. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JLobdell said:

What else should I be considering? 

Perhaps not something you should consider but you may want to be aware of the risk of low water impacting your cruise in the time frame you are looking at. It may or may not happen. This would most likely only affect the Rhine Gorge. Overall, Ama and Avalon do a tiny bit better as regards the draft of their ships than Viking. Way to more or less avoid the risk: choose a 110m ship. Way to almost completely avoid the risk: do not go through the Rhine Gorge. That means chose the Moselle and at Koblenz go downstream on the Rhine, or sail from Basel and then go on the Main. But, again, mostly not a big deal, just be aware and go with the flow and plan B of your company.

2 hours ago, UDChE89 said:

Viva also has a number of Germany focused cruises.

Definitely a European company to look at. You may want to check if they guarantee English-speaking guides on your cruise.

You could also look at Riviera Travel UK if you want to "be among the British".

notamermaid

1 minute ago, JLobdell said:

Would there be tea and scones? 😍

Oh, good question. That would be nice. No idea. I have heard that you can tell a British ship from an American ship by the fact that the British one has got tea-making facilities in the cabin. But that may just be a rumour. :classic_biggrin:

All in all though I would say the river cruise itineraries of Ama and Avalon are closer to what you and your family are looking for.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I have heard that you can tell a British ship from an American ship by the fact that the British one has got tea-making facilities in the cabin. But that may just be a rumour.

Definitely true on ocean ships.  In fact many seems to carry the equipment in the hold somewhere and move it to the cabins when a sailing originates in the UK.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Definitely spend a couple of days in Munich at the end. Neuschwanstein Castle, all the beer gardens and Old Town Munich are all very worthwhile and interesting. 

I second that. We went west bound, and spent 3 days in Munich before hand. Did Neuschwanstein, Dachau, a 3rd Reich Walking Tour and a beer and food walking tour. Loved Munich.

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Definitely a European company to look at. You may want to check if they guarantee English-speaking guides on your cruise.

You could also look at Riviera Travel UK if you want to "be among the British".

notamermaid

Viva has English speaking crew.  English speaking guides would be a function of how many English-only speakers are on the boat.  They did not fire any for me on the Danube last year as I was the only non-German speaker but excursions weren’t included in the fare and I didn’t need them.

• Thanks 1

Just a small glimpse behind the scenes here to all of German origin, you would be surprised as to how many British speak or at least understand to a certain degree - German. In fact my grandson just entering senior school requested German as his second language and was put into the French class because the German was full, he knew his Grandad my DH spoke German and wanted to copy him, still another chance for extra grandson - grandad relationships. My DH will say he only speaks restaurant German but I know he understands an awful lot of technical. 
Must just try to get my head around the Gallic now but Welsh sorry no way.