Rogueperson's **LIVE** Jewel of the Seas 9/14/2023 - 9/28/2023.

Rogueperson

6 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

On other ships we've had "Brunch" on most, if not all,

sea days.

We had 8 sea days.  It was

lunch on all those days.  Yesterday, i was surprised at brunch.  I looked at the schedule for today and it appears that it was a separate breakfast and lunch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

After dinner is the famous 70s Party.

IMG_8848.thumb.jpeg.47e175d2d2b01141d79462fa624d4687.jpeg

IMG_8849.thumb.jpeg.f5351f06e24a94d977aff3256b41e499.jpeg

Someone else hit it on the head.  Kat is very rigid.  She needs to find her niche and/or style.  But my wife indicated to me that this was a very rigid demographic, so this cruise was not a good cruise for her to cut her teeth.  I think she’s new, but someone else can chime in on that.  I’d never heard of her before this cruise.

Thank you for all of the information!

The thread that lists the current CDs says this about her:

JEWEL: Katheryn ‘Kat’ Falcon 7-23-23/Mid November

So she is about 1/2 way into her contract. I am sorry to hear she is a little stiff.  We are doing a B2B from Oct 20-Nov 9.  There have been comments on the roll call and FB regarding Halloween.  In my experience the quality of those special day activities very much depends on the CD.  I guess we had better temper our expectations.

45 minutes ago, Crism said:

She's very nice and pleasant...just a little stiff and hasn't let loose yet. It's a WELCOME face compared to Ken Jones or old Bill B (Voyager). They're monotone and excruciatingly boring.

She’s not bad, don’t get me wrong, but it appears she’s either afraid to push the envelope or she’s not sure what direction she wants to go.  She’s way better than Paul Rutter who I feel just sucks fun out of a crowd.

58 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Thank you for all of the information!

The thread that lists the current CDs says this about her:

JEWEL: Katheryn ‘Kat’ Falcon 7-23-23/Mid November

So she is about 1/2 way into her contract. I am sorry to hear she is a little stiff.  We are doing a B2B from Oct 20-Nov 9.  There have been comments on the roll call and FB regarding Halloween.  In my experience the quality of those special day activities very much depends on the CD.  I guess we had better temper our expectations.

I think the crowd on your cruise will be different.  This demographics here is rigid, so i feel for Kat and her hesitance to try new things.  She has potential.

• Like 1

Lunch today kicked my butt.

Izumi’s entrance is a little disguised.  On Brilliance i could have sworn was to facing rear, not to the left here.

IMG_8851.thumb.jpeg.6230150f8298b5c634af92484b165d32.jpeg

This is the sushi Sake’ lunch

IMG_8852.thumb.jpeg.53dbcef16613cbf161feb7e0e76d873c.jpeg

Yellowtail Capaccio with Sho Chiku Bai

IMG_8854.thumb.jpeg.e97fcd8758b33cfd04f0b0bffe6d5769.jpeg

IMG_8855.thumb.jpeg.836048f8edd28a153424064d8b6b2b79.jpeg

Crispy shrimp & futomaki with what i believe is the best drink on board, She’s a geisha.

IMG_8857.thumb.jpeg.2b856138018f04945c2266ae84f7b020.jpeg

Champagne Lobster & Creamy lobster with Choya (plum sake)

IMG_8858.thumb.jpeg.01ed55b5d4fe31f49e9f27ec32e55c7c.jpeg

IMG_8859.thumb.jpeg.441f3804099babb656678d89269abf0c.jpeg

Fried Rice with Teppan Beef with Soto Junmai.  I’m biased against this dish.  In my view, fried rice is used as a vehicle for leftovers.  Never a main primary dish.  The sake here was good stuff.

IMG_8861.thumb.jpeg.f42e01aeadf37cf716f2314e5b7479dd.jpeg

IMG_8862.thumb.jpeg.2cd2798b9448394b7c8114e0dea48e8b.jpeg

and Mochi ice cream which is always good.

IMG_8863.thumb.jpeg.c5c399c60643468ad41d33835fcf38ed.jpeg

Yeah, sake and me.  I was down for a couple hours after.  This was why I didn’t want to do this on the last day.  I forgot to book so was relegated to what was available.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 12:48 PM, Rogueperson said:

You’re right.  The free coffee is only good for Cappuccino, Latte or Americano

One quick note.  YMMV.  I’ve added 3 additional shots of espresso and it mostly counted towards the daily freebee.  The freebee on top of our freebee, I’m well aware of the irony 🤗

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I think the crowd on your cruise will be different.  This demographics here is rigid, so i feel for Kat and her hesitance to try new things.  She has potential.

We're on the same b2b as Dragon is.  It's a 10 night CL to Quebec City and a 10 night back to CL. It is definitely going to be an older demographic.  I doubt we'll have many children or young adults based on the itinerary and time of year.  

As a side note, I didn’t interact with Kat, but I found her staff top notch. Some of the best I’ve sailed with, especially Fernanda, Ashleigh, Marcus and Eddy. 
And thanks to @Rogueperson , @little britain and others for pics and updates.

I couldn’t imagine trying to do a live report and post pics with this internet. It was beyond sad. I know there are those that like smaller, older ships, but after sailing the Jewel, I am more of a bigger, newer ship kind of gal. Still had a great time, but I’m ready to go home. I have an 8 month gap until my next sailing. It will be my first Celebrity sailing on the Edge to Alaska. And after my 54 nights on Ovation this year, I’m ready for some home time. 
Safe travels to all….Debbie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, BND said:

We're on the same b2b as Dragon is.  It's a 10 night CL to Quebec City and a 10 night back to CL. It is definitely going to be an older demographic.  I doubt we'll have many children or young adults based on the itinerary and time of year.  

Its not the age.  Its passenger base.  Here we have an inordinately high count of passengers who have been on at least 20 Royal Caribbean cruises and a good number I dare say at least 100.  This is a bucket list cruise.  This one I believe was the first roundtrip Greenland cruise Royal’s done.  If i’m wrong, someone let me know.

I have never been on a cruise that is this skewed towards the upper levels.  Diamond plus and Pinnacles make up 1/3 of the demographics here and if you add Diamond, its 1/2 of the ship.  Usually the numbers skew the other way with only a handful of Pinnacles.

I don’t know the full number of passengers on this sailing as the number of c&a tiers equal 1860.  This ship holds 2500 passengers?

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Its not the age.  Its passenger base.  Here we have an inordinately high count of passengers who have been on at least 20 Royal Caribbean cruises and a good number I dare say at least 100.  This is a bucket list cruise.  This one I believe was the first roundtrip Greenland cruise Royal’s done.  If i’m wrong, someone let me know.

I have never been on a cruise that is this skewed towards the upper levels.  Diamond plus and Pinnacles make up 1/3 of the demographics here and if you add Diamond, its 1/2 of the ship.  Usually the numbers skew the other way with only a handful of Pinnacles.

I don’t know the full number of passengers on this sailing as the number of c&a tiers equal 1860.  This ship holds 2500 passengers?

We almost booked it too, but I had a feeling about September and seas lol.  So, we booked the 10 day NB and 10 day SB.  Quebec City, PEI, Saguenay, Sydney NS, Portland, Boston, some not visited very often by Royal so we could be in the same "boat".  We know of at least 30 b2bers and those are just the ones that post on our roll call on CC and on FB.  So, I'm expecting a lot of experienced cruisers.    We personally know 4 Pinns that will be onboard.  Two are our tablemates that we met last year on another cruise and two are people we met several years back on GR and have met up with on several cruises and all 4 are b2b.  These are two one way cruises that require a passport.

2500 is capacity. I think double occupancy is closer to 2100.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Yeah, sake and me.  I was down for a couple hours after.  This was why I didn’t want to do this on the last day.  I forgot to book so was relegated to what was available.

I'm doing this in November! It's on our only sea day (day 2). So I guess I should try to do the FlowRider before! 

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:39 PM, Rogueperson said:

There some snacks and offerings that are not offered elsewhere.  Its not major, but when you haven’t had lunch, it works in a pinch.  Mostly, last night they nailed my weakness for pate as they had a pate in a pastry and i went crazy with it.

Or like us, always have late dining esp on a ship that doesn't have Sorrentos or other places to get snacks, the DL helps with that.  

Last Dinner Menu

IMG_8876.thumb.jpeg.c414018f003f7bb0977650beeaf50409.jpeg

Mediterranean Tapas.  Awful.  Avoid.IMG_8877.thumb.jpeg.e14153eb08985bba6d05b29b72808608.jpeg

Pan seared asparagus.  This looked suspect, but was actually good.

IMG_8878.thumb.jpeg.3f31ba72b2e6a622ee2f0ed611b2a2f3.jpeg

French Onion Soup.  Historically, this has been overly salty.  This one was good.

IMG_8879.thumb.jpeg.fb6d3a1b418cfbbab03e6e055f8989fe.jpeg

Braised Lamb was opposite.  This is usually done well.  But this one was dry.

IMG_8880.thumb.jpeg.65c6228a0be229deecb447cc3e04ab8e.jpeg

crema catalana.  Lots of versions of creme brulee.

IMG_8882.thumb.jpeg.cfd7306a36a66b0bdb35c2f65f309e56.jpeg

Warm Apple Crumble.  This was meh.IMG_8883.thumb.jpeg.791ea14ebd49d9851fe2d26eb19506f9.jpeg

• Like 1

Good Morning from Bayonne.  This cruise did something GENIUS.  They saved the time change for the night before disembarking.  Thats incredible.  An extra hour of sleep.  They could have saved the 30 minutes from St. John and made it better, but no more than that.

I’m at breakfast in the MDR.  Once we disembark, we’ll get on the road.

I’ll post my final thoughts in a day or so after i settle in back home.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Good morning 🌅 

We are staying on for the b2b up to Quebec.

IMG_1664.jpeg

@little britain Thank you for your additions.  Hey, why don’t you start your own thread for the next leg.  i would definitely follow you to continue the experience and live vicariously through you.

• Like 1