Dawn across the Baltic Sea

MJN1

Having been driven away by Silversea's constant cost cutting under its previous owner and happily encamped on Seabourne for many years, we finally returned, tempted by the CPH to CPH itinerary on the Silver Dawn, circling the Baltic Sea.
Here are some first impressions after boarding last Friday, including 'apple to oranges' comparisons with the smaller SS/SB ships.
Boarding was a breeze. We arrived 15min after the scheduled 2p.m. boarding time, with many pax already on board, judging from the crossed out names at the first security control. Check-in was at the Venetian lounge and we were in our suite within 15min after leaving the taxi. Wet towels handed once on board, but no glass of Champagne in sight anywhere.
Lunch at La Terrazza was OK. Wide selection of food, beautiful, spacious lay-out of the buffet area. Less than average quality of sashimi and sushi.
Luggage was at the suite after we returned, fastest delivery we ever had.
Suite: standard Verandah cabin, mid ship; appealing color scheme, sufficient hanging space, manageable drawer space.
Bathroom: tub and separate shower, a major upgrade vs the previous climb into the tub experience on the older ships. First major plus point!
Finally met the Suite attendant just before dinner and the butler next afternoon, i.e. no personal welcome or glass of Champagne while unpacking. First minus point….
Restaurants: we had a great dinner at S.A.L.T the first night, OK lunch at Kaiseki the next day. Two great dinners at Altantide, a below average hamburger at the Grill (while not a big fan of TK, I do miss the Napa burger) and a very good pizza at Spacanapoli. The variety and number of restaurant choices is a huge plus. Atlantide being open (every day) for Breakfast is simply wonderful (and beats breakfast at La Terrazza hands-down)!
Bars: again, a huge choice. Dolce Vita is maybe a bit too large for us, but is was great to see MaryBeth again after so many years. The S.A.L.T. Bar (and staff) is another gem!
And the ship? The Dawn is simply BEAUTIFUL. Spacious, well designed, automatic doors to nearly all outside areas. One does not feel that there is a significantly higher number of guests compared to Whisper/Shadow or the Quest.
Sofar, glad we came back. 🥰

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, MJN1 said:
Having been driven away by Silversea's constant cost cutting under its previous owner and happily encamped on Seabourne for many years, we finally returned, tempted by the CPH to CPH itinerary on the Silver Dawn, circling the Baltic Sea.
Here are some first impressions after boarding last Friday, including 'apple to oranges' comparisons with the smaller SS/SB ships.
Boarding was a breeze. We arrived 15min after the scheduled 2p.m. boarding time, with many pax already on board, judging from the crossed out names at the first security control. Check-in was at the Venetian lounge and we were in our suite within 15min after leaving the taxi. Wet towels handed once on board, but no glass of Champagne in sight anywhere.
Lunch at La Terrazza was OK. Wide selection of food, beautiful, spacious lay-out of the buffet area. Less than average quality of sashimi and sushi.
Luggage was at the suite after we returned, fastest delivery we ever had.
Suite: standard Verandah cabin, mid ship; appealing color scheme, sufficient hanging space, manageable drawer space.
Bathroom: tub and separate shower, a major upgrade vs the previous climb into the tub experience on the older ships. First major plus point!
Finally met the Suite attendant just before dinner and the butler next afternoon, i.e. no personal welcome or glass of Champagne while unpacking. First minus point….
Restaurants: we had a great dinner at S.A.L.T the first night, OK lunch at Kaiseki the next day. Two great dinners at Altantide, a below average hamburger at the Grill (while not a big fan of TK, I do miss the Napa burger) and a very good pizza at Spacanapoli. The variety and number of restaurant choices is a huge plus. Atlantide being open (every day) for Breakfast is simply wonderful (and beats breakfast at La Terrazza hands-down)!
Bars: again, a huge choice. Dolce Vita is maybe a bit too large for us, but is was great to see MaryBeth again after so many years. The S.A.L.T. Bar (and staff) is another gem!
And the ship? The Dawn is simply BEAUTIFUL. Spacious, well designed, automatic doors to nearly all outside areas. One does not feel that there is a significantly higher number of guests compared to Whisper/Shadow or the Quest.
Sofar, glad we came back. 🥰

MaryBeth was in my 1st SS cruise several years ago. She is great.

dawntrdr,

apologies for the confusing description of "no glass of Champagne in sight anywhere." 

We did get the Champagne bottle in the Suite. As lincslady mentioned, the Suite Attendants on SB visit you before the Musterdrill with Champagne and Canapees to introduce themselves, explain the room, discuss the setup of the minibar, the choices of the bathroom products, etc. We see this as the "1st date" and usually discuss our daily routine and how we will communicate with them during the cruise. Yes, the same can be done by picking up the phone, but it is a ritual we have come to appreciate on SB.

6 hours ago, MJN1 said:

dawntrdr,

apologies for the confusing description of "no glass of Champagne in sight anywhere." 

We did get the Champagne bottle in the Suite. As lincslady mentioned, the Suite Attendants on SB visit you before the Musterdrill with Champagne and Canapees to introduce themselves, explain the room, discuss the setup of the minibar, the choices of the bathroom products, etc. We see this as the "1st date" and usually discuss our daily routine and how we will communicate with them during the cruise. Yes, the same can be done by picking up the phone, but it is a ritual we have come to appreciate on SB.

And it works well for the guests and the stewardess.

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

Usually there is a bucket of bubbly in the cabin upon arrival but I have never had a butler offer me a glass. 

My butlers have always offered to open the champagne and pour me a glass. I sort of miss the glass on arrival, but often hands are full with the carry on and a shoulder bag, and perhaps a jacket.  Within minutes of boarding you can be sitting comfortably and order a fresh, cold champers though.

7 hours ago, MJN1 said:

dawntrdr,

Apart from bringing canapés, what you describe is exactly what occurred with my butler on boarding the Muse last week: mini bar, bathroom products, daily canapés or not, etc. I guess not all butlers are equal.

One of the attractions of this itinerary are overnight stays in Stockholm and Tallin. This also allowed cruising through the islands around Stockholm during the day, twice. Absolutely gorgeous.
We had a very good dinner at La Terrazza the other night. Really huge selection of appetisers, pasta and mains to choose from. And better quality than during buffet times...
Another place we like is the Arts Cafe on Deck 8. Nice, comfy place (and without the lines of loud talkers waiting for help at the SB Square). The outside area is also easily accessible through sliding automatic doors, instead of having to balance cookies/coffee while man-handling heavy doors.
The only negatives: the cakes are, at least for us, overly sweet and creamy (not to say cloy). In order to get an Affogato, one has to fetch a ball of vanilla ice cream from Scappanapoli on Deck 11 first, as they don't have any icecream at the Arts Cafe. Well, at least you burn up the calories to be consumed running up and down the stairs. 😘
On the practical side of things, the Chronicles are delivered in paper-form during turn-down service, while being available on the TV screen also. We had to make a special request for the Herald to be delivered as paper on SB, although that may have changed since. 
We did find the SB Source App to be easier to navigate than the SS Info system on the TV or Mobile, but this may be a personal (capability) thing. Being able to send messages via SB Source directly to fellow passengers was, however, a huge plus.
One stop stopping for services at the SB Square, vs seperate desks for Excursions and Reception here, is a wash for us, but waiting times have been very short sofar.
The Laundrette set up, one machine on every floor (compared to four on one floor) involves a bit more stair climbing to find an empty one and eliminates the social element, chatting with a glass of Champagne in hand, while waiting for a machine to finish.
Last, but not least, the question of 'which floor' is best? We think we made a perfect choice with Deck 7. 😍

Midpoint of this cruise and enroute from Mariehamn to Riga. The sea is a bit choppy and it is nice to notice that we are on a ship after all.
On the dining front, we enjoyed an excellent dinner at Restaurant 38° during the overnight stay in Tallin and appreciated the added partitions and heaters at dinner at the Grill two nights ago.
Yesterday‘s excursion in Helsinki, a 2 1/2h Kayak trip, did meet all the warnings (extensive activity, physical fit), but we alll made it back despite the strong headwinds. Today‘s hike in the north of Aland Island allowed to burn off some additional calories. Beautiful views of the islands all around. Buses half on both excursions.
We also discovered that the Arts Cafe turns into a Cocktail Bar at 6:30 p.m., another enjoyable venue for pre-dinner drinks. We do love the number of bar choices on the Dawn, and - differently from the restaurants - they are all excellent.
One practical aspect I forgot to mention: SS does return the laundry the same day compared to SB‘s 48 hours, a major plus. And needless to say, the free laundry after 100 days on SS does beat the SB Club benefit of a free laundry bag every seven days.

20230914_150023.jpg

20230915_120917.jpg

20230914_111807.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/13/2023 at 2:34 AM, MJN1 said:

Another place we like is the Arts Cafe on Deck 8. Nice, comfy place (and without the lines of loud talkers waiting for help at the SB Square).

And here I thought it was just me who dislikes the "loud talkers" in SB Square in the mornings while I am in a semi-coherent pre-caffeinated state 🙂

Thd "loud talkers", on top of the loud machinery sounds of the grinding and blending equipment, lead me to avoid SB Square in the mornings (and the pumped in  music thumps lead me to avoid it later on unless I needed its wifi connection or had a problem the service clerks needed to resolve for me).

The best AM ritual is still coffee in my own suite, whatever the ship is, or in the quiet observation lounge equivalents with a pastry (preferably buttery), or the deserted outdoor deck loungers  early in the morning when no one is there yet to facetime his grandkids without headphones.

I am really appreciating luxury land trips more than I did pre-Covid (I am convinced the Brits do those best, on average, by far).  But I still feel compelled to cruise despite the skyrocketing and ridiculous prices.  But I only have four more cruises lined up within the next year so far, ( on four different lines) with probaby only 1-2 additional likely to happen, depending on whether or not I can justify $50,000-$70,000 to stare at ice and fog for two weeks.

• Like 2

Venetian Society Event yesterday evening: 50/50 split newcomers/VS members. One person with over fivethousand days on board: the captain 😘 Next a couple with over 1500 days. We would need about 11 World cruises or 4 years of non-stop-cruising to catch up.🫣
Short (5h) day in Riga. Docked next to old city center, another beautiful city to stroll around. Nice fish sandwiches and a dark beer at the local market before heading back to the ship for scones and espresso at the Arts Cafe.
The Dawn is cruising down the Daugava towards the Gulf of Riga, enroute to Klaipeda, Lithunia. We down to 4th and S.A.L.T. 

20230916_134540.jpg

20230916_143309.jpg

20230916_182629.jpg

• Like 7

Did SS hire a used-cars-salesman (no woman would make it so complicated) to design its cruise fare structure? 

We are really glad we returned to SS and discovered the Silver Dawn. Thus met up with the future cruise consultant to book a Venetian Society cruise in 2024. 
I can understand that the 5% on-board saving plus the 5% VS discount and the 5% for 100 days are actually only worth 14.3% as they are applied consecutively. No big deal.
However, those discounts (except the 5% on board one) are only applicable to the D2D fare, not P2P as this one is already a "promotional" fare!
After deducting a small amount for the limo and a mid three digit number for the flights included in D2D, that fare turns out to be £ 2,100 more expensive than the P2P fare for two. 
However, P2P requires a 25% deposit, non refundable, but moveable to any other cruise. 
D2D has a 15% deposit, refundable except the first £200/$250 per Person (which one gets back if booking another cruise). 
Are you still with me? Or can I now sell you an 18months financing plan, some insurance and an upgraded warranty?
We thus decided to clear our brains by going on-shore and walking around Klaipeda...

20230917_131942.jpg

20230917_132318.jpg

20230917_133450.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, MJN1 said:

Did SS hire a used-cars-salesman (no woman would make it so complicated) to design its cruise fare structure? 

However, P2P requires a 25% deposit, non refundable, but moveable to any other cruise. 

What a lovely stroll! 

One question - I know the P2P deposit is non refundable, but thought that it could not be applied to other cruises. So your onboard consultant says it can be? 

Re: used-car salesman….  Approx. 6 -7 years ago I had placed a deposit with a Silversea cruise consultant who became very unprofessional and antagonistic when I went to transfer the booking to my TA.  His behavior and style were so misaligned with the Silversea brand that I was curious where he had worked previously and did a quick Google search of his name which turned up a LinkedIn profile.  
Turns out that his previous jobs were with a collections agency! 😮🙄🤯😂

• Haha 2

On 9/17/2023 at 6:50 PM, Dolcevita Diva said:

One question - I know the P2P deposit is non refundable, but thought that it could not be applied to other cruises. So your onboard consultant says it can be? 

Yes, confirmed this today once more: the 25% deposit can be transferred without penalty to another cruise. (I guess any used car dealership would allow you this, too 😘).

Had a wonderful tour and stroll through Gdansk this afternoon. It is amazing how this city has been, and still is being, rebuild after WW2. They even opened the Museum, normally closed on Monday, for us to see the famous "Last judgement" painting.  So here are just a few impressions. 

20230918_130809.jpg

20230918_130759.jpg

20230918_132640.jpg

20230918_133429.jpg

20230918_161744.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MJN1 said:

Yes, confirmed this today once more: the 25% deposit can be transferred without penalty to another cruise. (I guess any used car dealership would allow you this, too 😘).

Had a wonderful tour and stroll through Gdansk this afternoon. It is amazing how this city has been, and still is being, rebuild after WW2. They even opened the Museum, normally closed on Monday, for us to see the famous "Last judgement" painting.  So here are just a few impressions. 

20230918_130809.jpg

20230918_130759.jpg

20230918_132640.jpg

20230918_133429.jpg

20230918_161744.jpg

Great pictures!  This itinerary is on my Top 3 list for sometime in the next few years.

Thanks for double-checking re: the port-to-deposit.  That would make P2P pricing much more attractive, as others have been told that they would lose the deposit if they made aany changes. 

We DO enjoy this cruise tremendously, but there are some 'silly' things, which deserve at least an 🙄...

Last seating for breakfast at La Terrazza is at 10 a.m. OK, but why do they come to your table at 9.55 to tell you that the buffet will close in 5 minutes? And it does close exactly at 10:00! 🤔
One of our fabric suitcase covers was damaged last year enroute to a Seabourn cruise. As we lamented the fact on board, the room stewardess suggested the deck department could probably fix this. Voila, she returned two days later with the holes in the cover beautifully taped and stitched over. Needless to say, we sent a thank you note included some Austrian chocolate downstairs. 
Different cover, similar holes this year and another cover seam needed some simple stitches. So we called the butler and suggested how it could be fixed. He took the covers and called back 20min later. Yes, it can be done, but there would be a $20 charge. OK, so I did sign the charge slip he proudly presented later. 🫡
Dinner at the Atlantide: "What beer do you have?" "Stella, Becks and Coors Light(🫣)". "Could you get me a Sapporo from Kaiseki next door?" "Let me check." 5min later. "Sorry, the Sapporo is exclusive to Kaiseki". 🙄
As I always tell my wife: accept, appreciate, and be patient. So, I better do the same. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1