A new perspective on Cabin Stewards not doing nightly turn down

amajaa

Those images got me thinking

I do hope the cabin stewards wash and dry their hands thoroughly on fresh (separate) towels (that aren't in our cabins) before putting their hands all over every inch of the towels they make into these lovely animals for us

(Can't be the most hygienic way to provide us with towels when you think about it?)

But I'm not complaining. Just saying....

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

44 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Those images got me thinking

I do hope the cabin stewards wash and dry their hands thoroughly on fresh (separate) towels (that aren't in our cabins) before putting their hands all over every inch of the towels they make into these lovely animals for us

(Can't be the most hygienic way to provide us with towels when you think about it?)

But I'm not complaining. Just saying....

I just think we have all managed to survive until now without all the paranoia that we seem.to have generated over the last 40 yrs or so. We need to be exposed to germs to build an immunity but now everyone is so used to being wrapped in cotton wool from an early age that people don't seem to have the ability to fight infection. Just my opinion and I know that people will disagree. 

Bring on the towel animals and the waving of the napkins;-)

• Like 17

If anyone watches any of the Farming programs you will notice the kids rolling in the mud, the hay and all sorts. The Yorkshire Shepardess used to have the donkey in the living room . The kids gave the animals food and then ate the same food the animal had just taken a bite off.  All the kids were healthy and thriving 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

If anyone watches any of the Farming programs you will notice the kids rolling in the mud, the hay and all sorts. The Yorkshire Shepardess used to have the donkey in the living room . The kids gave the animals food and then ate the same food the animal had just taken a bite off.  All the kids were healthy and thriving 

When I was teaching, the pupils who had 100% attendance every term were usually farming children. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Malcolm142 said:

Presto, absolutely right. We all need some exposure to build up our resistance to germs and bacteria.

I don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool just a nice big fluffy towel 😄

One of my Mums favourite expressions was "a little bit of dirt never hurt anyone", which I always thought a bit odd when she was so house pround, and even pumiced the front step.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2023 at 11:32 PM, Ardennais said:

To reduce our carbon footprint, how about getting rid of tablecloths?! 

I was a little taken back in the MDR watching them brush the crumbs on the floor and reset the table after guests.

I'm really glad we always dined early as I wouldn't have wanted to sit at a table that wasn't clean having had other guests food and hands all over it! No table cloth would be better than this! 

On the towel front, being on the ship isn't quite the same as being at home, it's a more damp environment and towels are often used more than once per day. You also have the stewards hands all over them.

For this reason I would have them changed more frequently than at home, but not twice a day.

42 minutes ago, windra06 said:

I was a little taken back in the MDR watching them brush the crumbs on the floor and reset the table after guests.

I'm really glad we always dined early as I wouldn't have wanted to sit at a table that wasn't clean having had other guests food and hands all over it! No table cloth would be better than this! 

On the towel front, being on the ship isn't quite the same as being at home, it's a more damp environment and towels are often used more than once per day. You also have the stewards hands all over them.

For this reason I would have them changed more frequently than at home, but not twice a day.

As I said before 

If people are concerned about stewards hands being all over the towels why do we like the towel animals so much?

And why have we never wanted to put a stop to them before?

Are they a good thing or a bad thing?

1 hour ago, windra06 said:

I dont understand this damp environment comment, and others who say their towels do not dry overnight. Our towels dry very quickly, we leave them hung on the hangers behind the bathroom door after showering before dinner, and by bedtime they are dry.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont understand this damp environment comment, and others who say their towels do not dry overnight. Our towels dry very quickly, we leave them hung on the hangers behind the bathroom door after showering before dinner, and by bedtime they are dry.

Perhaps your body is a lot smaller than the average cruiser's and therefore the towel doesn't get as wet!

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

Perhaps your body is a lot smaller than the average cruiser's and therefore the towel doesn't get as wet!

Hairy bodies too! Not only very wet towels but the inevitable shed.  Maybe P&O could offer gentleman full body waxes on day one in the spa.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, windra06 said:

We were amazed at the poor clearing of tables in buffet on Arvia recently. Many tables were left for some time covered in used plates and some people were clearing tables were being cleared by cruiser's and piling them up on a nearby tables. When tables were finally cleared they were never wiped down properly just wiped over and any crumbs brushed on floor using a used serviette left on the table. This happened on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

At home and onboard ship I use a microfibre towel for the initial dry off and hang it behind the bathroom door, don't use a blue one, mine is green.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:46 PM, Ardennais said:

When I was teaching, the pupils who had 100% attendance every term were usually farming children. 

Same thing goes for having an animal in the house.  Children who are brought up with a dog or cat very seldom have allergies or get bugs as much as those who are kept in a totally clean environment.

• Like 6

Covid proved that you need germs in your life. What i mean by that, lots of children i know, daughters friends, not 1 cold or illness during lock down. Most people didn't mix, washed their hands and kept apart. Even for us key workers very little in way of colds. As soon as lockdown finished, kids back to school, adults forgetting to wash hands and etc boom snotty noses, rough colds etc. This is being proven by how many get colds, ill lately on cruises. Too many not bothering washing hands at least. 

The period of masks, hand cleaning, speration reduced the spreading of common germs and thay reduced our ability to quickly get rid of them.  So IMO you need some germs in your life to teach your body how to fight them. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 9:06 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

As I said before 

If people are concerned about stewards hands being all over the towels why do we like the towel animals so much?

And why have we never wanted to put a stop to them before?

Are they a good thing or a bad thing?

Why would we want to put a stop to them, they are only a bit of harmless fun.

• Like 4

On 9/12/2023 at 6:23 PM, amajaa said:

Now reading on here and other social media the main concern about the Cabin Stewards not servicing the cabins in the evenings is people saying they can't now get their towels changed twice a day, which personally I ( and others) find a bit rediculous with most people saying how often do you change them at home.  If they are that desperate to have clean towels twice a day go up to the pool deck and get clean ones from there.  Aren't we supposed to be saving the oceans or whatever it says on the leaflet in the bathrooms? 

Well read this - unbelievably a staggering 44% of people only change their towels every 3 months. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66735226?xtor=ES-211-[64317_PANUK_NLT_37_ENG_StateOfChaos_RET_O35]-20230912-[bbcnewsbeat_howoftenshouldyouwashandchangeyourtowel_healthandwellbeing]

Now that's taking it to the other extreme. 

My take is that if you believe a towel needs changing you put it in the shower tray. Never had a bath in a cabin but presume you would leave the dirty towel in the bath. I am lead to believe that Princess cruises cabin stewards visit your cabin twice a day. On our most recent P&O cruise in March apart from in the morning when going for breakie it was the only time I saw our cabin steward and to start with he kept our stock of tea, coffee, milk etc well stocked. But the longer the cruise went on the more I had to chase after him to keep the supply going and in the buffet area the supply of cups was appalling. The dispensing machines were constantly breaking down.