Using the Medallion for the state room door

beshears

9 hours ago, deltahog said:

So if I send my kid, who has a separate room, to my room to retrieve something, I have to hand over to him my medallion?

8 hours ago, skynight said:

Believe it is possible to have the system programed to recognize more than one cabin. You can have access to your kid's cabin and visa versa. Visit passenger services.

They can program a medallion to open another room. To get your medallion programmed, you need to go to Guest Services with someone booked into that other room.

We use a clip that is designed to hold an Apple Air Tag. I don't like that it covers my name but it's extremely secure and makes holding the Medallion in my hand much easier. When boarding or disembarking the ship (such as at a port stop or initial embarkation) you have to physically press the Medallion against a reader and I have a hard time holding the Medallion itself when doing that. My hands don't work as well as they did when I was young and this allows me to hold the Medallion securely. Other than times such as mentioned above (and also when "registering" at your muster station) I keep the thing in my pocket. My wife has been known to actually use the clip which is very snug and secure.

image.jpeg.c24de6fd30df3bdba6c565a0281e292c.jpeg

image.jpeg.8b11ef64f456d713ff549036051532b4.jpeg

Medallion holders purchased from Princes allow your name and the voyage info to show;

ocean-medallion-logo-picmonkeyed.webp.3e9f7f4e6f54ed623d80699bb934e4b2.webp

Edited by Thrak

3 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

They can program a medallion to open another room. To get your medallion programmed, you need to go to Guest Services with someone booked into that other room.

If it is a cabin occupied by your own child, you aren't going to need their permission.  OTOH, @deltahog might want to think twice if they want their kid to be able to open the cabin door anytime it strikes their fancy.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If it is a cabin occupied by your own child, you aren't going to need their permission.  OTOH, @deltahog might want to think twice if they want their kid to be able to open the cabin door anytime it strikes their fancy.

@deltahogdidn't say how old his kid was. If a cabin is occupied by your adult child, then you would definitely need permission - even if you paid for the cabin. Also, I just said what he could do - I didn't recommend that he do it. I would certainly recommend that a parent get access to a minor child's room. If the parents have a balcony and the children are in an inside, they may want to give the children access to the balcony (depending on their age and maturity). No one else can decide for them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm trying to remember if the "medallion door locks" still have the dead bolt that can be set from inside.  Seems it does, but I'm not sure.   

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

They do.

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yes it does

I think these two replies answer the main problem with giving your kids (of whatever age) access to your cabin - as long as you remember to lock the dead bolt whenever you don't want to be interrupted.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I think these two replies answer the main problem with giving your kids (of whatever age) access to your cabin - as long as you remember to lock the dead bolt whenever you don't want to be interrupted.

That, and they also have a do not disturb setting.  

15 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I certainly am not expecting to win again... probably ever and I wouldn't pay for it neither do I ascribe any value to it regarding the Premium package. It is a freebie that really isn't going to benefit many.

Yes, we were luck. It was the first time we even had a mini-suite too so it kinda made that cruise special for us.

Did you have the Premiere package?

9 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The medallions are small disks about 30mm in diameter and about 7mm thick. As posted above, there are tons of way to carry them, and there are also lots of non-Princess accessories as well. Mine fits in a small plastic holder the size of a credit card and stays in my pocket at all times.

We put up a magnetic hook on the wall within easy reach and hang our medallions on it.  We grab it on the way out.

23 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Whatever you do, please don't have it around your neck while walking around in port.  You scream tourist and might end up being a victim.  In Mazatlan, there cruisers who kept wearing the Medallion on the lanyard around their neck, who were constantly being harassed by the locals in the port area.  Cruisers might look different from the locals, but there's no reason to absolutely make known that you are a tourist.

Spot on.

In any port or in any city, there are several things to keep in mind for personal safety.  The first is to be aware of your surroundings and always be scanning the people around you.  Second, be one of the wolves, not one of the sheep.  Make eye contact with those around you so they will know that you are aware of their presence.  Third, don't advertise that you are a tourist, don't wear your tour number sticker after the tour and don't wear your ship card/medallion for everyone to see. Fourth, leave your jewelry at home or in your cabin safe.  There are many more steps, but I'll leave you with this - profile as you walk around.  If someone or someplace looks sketchy, cross the street or turn around.  

I have spotted thieves watching tour groups in several instances just by watching those around us and profiling.  When that happens, I make sure to make eye contact and usually they will nonchalantly move on.

Safe cruising.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

With or without a medallion hanging around your neck, I think the bad guys can still pick out who the tourists are in any city in the world.

Just saying….

image.thumb.png.34ba6837d2fc8c3b11af4b61c18a2379.png

Especially if you stick a big wallet in your back pocket, wear socks with sandals and look around at everything 

• Haha 2