On board Zaandam!

CruiserBruce

On 9/20/2023 at 2:07 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Just got back from our excursion,  replete with the usual "can't make it TO the bus on time to start" (one couple), and "can't make it BACK to the bus on time" (3 different people) offenders.

Two new experiences to add...first the lady who arrived at the check in spot 40 minutes early, complaining she had been waiting A LONG TIME, and wanted to know why they didn't just load the bus up and depart...40 minutes EARLY! The nerve of HAL!

And then there was the lady boarding an adjacent bus, wearing the standard lanyard with room key pocket. Also attached to said lanyard was her Mariner medallion. Now we have about 200 days, so I think ours is bronze. But her's was shiny silver color. Not sure what message she was sending....😉

Very fun tour, came with full lobster lunch, which was great. Even DW, who prefers not to have to work for her food, dove in with gusto, resulting in gratitude for the provided bibb.

In tender ports, I operated on the theory that you only have to be on the last tender.  Did that Mykonos one time where a friend and I sat at a little cafe and enjoyed some beers while the groundlings stood in line in the sun.  When the line got down to about 75 people, we sauntered over to get in line.

One entitled woman complained loudly to us and all within earshot to the effect that...Well, we stood in line in the hot sun and it wasn't fair that we didn't.

My friend shut her down by telling her some of us are smart enough not to stand in a line in the hot sun when there was shade and cold beer just a few yards away.

She retorted that it still wasn't fair.  For the rest of the cruise she gave us the stink eye whenever we encountered her.

Maybe we should've told her we paid for the upgraded shuttle waiting area with complimentary shade and beer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 17

Yesterday, (Thursday) was our last sea day.  We attended the presentation of A City on the Sea which gave video highlights of how all the different areas of the ship work efficiently to not only keep the ship running, but lowering it's carbon footprint, while giving it's passengers a 5 Star experience.  Best part was the acknowledgement of a very long term cruising couple who were known for being particularly kind and gracious to the crew.  The presentation ended with a parade of crew representing all departments walking in to a standing ovation from the audience of passagers

Lunch was a lobster roll for me ($13), as I am trying to get my full of lobster while in the region.

Our afternoon was spent hanging out in the stateroom enjoying our last bottle of champagne watching the horizon.  We did see a sailboat off in the distance, as well as some containers ships 

The highlight of the day was meeting @CruiserBruce. DH, myself and a new friend (an Australian solo traveler) were enjoying a pre dinner cocktail by the window near Mix when a very gracious gentleman approached, and I hear "Ferry"?  It was lovely to meet him and put a face to a name.  While I am not 100% sure, I think we may have passed by each other early this morning as folks were up early as we entered the narrow passage to Saguenay.  After grabbing some coffee, we headed to the Crow's Nest, but between the lights on in the room, and the darkness outside, it was impossible to see anything. We walked out to the stern, where the stars were amazing, but it was very chilly.  We returned to our stateroom, bundled up, and I am sitting outside while I write this.  The scenery is somewhat similar to sailing the inside passage out of Vancouver, BC.  Just beautiful.

• Like 15

Yes, @Ferry_Watcher, that was me...caught me by surprise. But, no, that was not my wife. Just one of the early work out people. And yes, it was great meeting you in person, and most importantly, telling you how helpful your knowledge of Seattle is !

Sailing in to Saguenay. No clouds! Beautiful sunrise. Extremely beautiful!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Last night was the "Gold " Gala menu....you could tell by the gold napkin rings, and of course, it said so on the menu!

The Club Orange scallops dish might be the best dish of the cruise thus far. Always enjoy the escargot. But I think the chef made a little presentation faux pas. In this day of actual and perceived cutbacks,  they put the always small lava cake serving in a bigger bowl! I think maybe the serving size might have been a little smaller, but the bowl size definitely didn't help any. Still a total chocolate overdose tho...

The Ocean Band was a severe disappointment last night...more on that later. Off to  Saguenay!

• Like 9

On 9/21/2023 at 8:52 AM, WriterOnDeck said:

I've had the pleasure of watching the Superbowl from the Grand World Voyage twice -- 2020 from Antarctica and 2023 from Tasmania. Both times my KC Chiefs won! In 2024 we will be watching from somewhere in the Pacific between Hawaii and Guam. And yes, I'm packing my Chiefs jersey again. 🙂

We are KC fans, but live near Kansas City KS-the other Kansas City. Like the fact that even far from home, you pack your Chiefs Jersey.  GO Chiefs

• Like 5

What a perfect day in Saguenay! Beautiful weather. The best of the cruise by at least 7 Leagues Under the Sea.

First, the Ocean Bar Band. Last night, the opening set was a duo of Cat ( Ocean Bar pianist) and the female lead singer of the Band, focusing on show tunes. The lead singer ( sorry,  don't know her name) sang two songs, then did a few comments on her educational background...music theater...and how she much she enjoys doing show music, as opposed to pop music. Ah...hate to say it, but she needs to stay with pop music. People were walking out. The second set, the full band was back, but she sang exactly one song in the first 5 or six. Again,  people were walking out, including me. They are tired, and constantly talking about going home on Sunday. 

Took a really beautiful excursion on the Fjord today. The scenery was really amazing. The tour was a little less than well organized,  but we survived,  and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery and the weather.

Seeing a trainer about exercising our drink plan.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What a perfect day in Saguenay! Beautiful weather. The best of the cruise by at least 7 Leagues Under the Sea.

First, the Ocean Bar Band. Last night, the opening set was a duo of Cat ( Ocean Bar pianist) and the female lead singer of the Band, focusing on show tunes. The lead singer ( sorry,  don't know her name) sang two songs, then did a few comments on her educational background...music theater...and how she much she enjoys doing show music, as opposed to pop music. Ah...hate to say it, but she needs to stay with pop music. People were walking out. The second set, the full band was back, but she sang exactly one song in the first 5 or six. Again,  people were walking out, including me. They are tired, and constantly talking about going home on Sunday. 

Took a really beautiful excursion on the Fjord today. The scenery was really amazing. The tour was a little less than well organized,  but we survived,  and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery and the weather.

who is the piano player/singer in the Mix bar?

• Like 1

@CruiserBruce Bruce, when you had lunch at Waterfront Warehouse in Halifax did they still offer seafood on menu?  I just looked at website menu and didn’t see seafood. We always had oysters, full belly fried clams or lobster there.

We have really enjoyed your post and thanks for sharing your cruise.

We’ll be visiting Halifax on our Seabourn Quest repositioning cruise late October and planned to have lunch there. Bruce

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

@CruiserBruce are you talking about band in crows nest?   FYI , I was ne of the “walkers” on our Aug 23 trip orange party “warmup”.  She was off key most of the time, hubby was at movie… he would have walked way before my tolerance…

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, electro said:

So Ocean bar is the only live music in the evening? That would be very disappointing!

I board on Sunday, hoping to have a choice of music venues.

We were on the Zaandam, September 3 to 13, and the piano player was in the mix area most evenings starting around 8:30, as well as music earlier in the Ocean Bar as mentioned. There were also classical music performers in the Explorer’s Lounge.

Oddly, the daily program tended to list many of the musicians generically, as “pianist,” for example, rather than by name. I was disappointed by all the OB performers and by the piano player. None matched pre-pandemic quality in my humble opinion. 

We enjoyed more the various performers in the World Stage - Cantare, Hyperion Knight (pianist) and Step One Dance Company. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

We were on the Zaandam, September 3 to 13, and the piano player was in the mix area most evenings starting around 8:30, as well as music earlier in the Ocean Bar as mentioned. There were also classical music performers in the Explorer’s Lounge.

Oddly, the daily program tended to list many of the musicians generically, as “pianist,” for example, rather than by name. I was disappointed by all the OB performers and by the piano player. None matched pre-pandemic quality in my humble opinion. 

We enjoyed more the various performers in the World Stage - Cantare, Hyperion Knight (pianist) and Step One Dance Company. 

I was on a year ago, June 2022. There was a piano player/singer in the Mix bar and a band in the ocean bar. I would go back and forth between them. When one was on a break I would go to the other. I'm hoping for the same thing this time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andi Land said:

Thanks for the great review. I’ve been eyeing this itinerary for next year but think I’ll have to push it to 2025. You’ve reinforced for me that it’s a terrific cruise location. Thanks again. 

We were on Zaandam on the cruise that started on 23 Aug 2023, it was basically the same itinerary except we didn't have any ports changed or have to dodge a "post tropical storm". I think all in all the changes on this cruise that @CruiserBruce and @Ferry_Watcher are on have been better stops and the weather has been better for them. Entertainment has apparently been hit and miss for them, as it was for us. Entertainment, like food is so subjective. It would seem that Bruce's drinking arm is having a problem in that he needs help from a trainer so the beverage plan can help out. Maybe a straw will help.😉

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure. Have yet to see the piano being played. Have you @Ferry_Watcher?

Yes, we have seen a male pianist playing early on during the cruise, although our sighting was observational, as we were walking towards the Dining Room. 

My regret re music is not making time to listen to the classical duo.  Again, we heard them as we walked by, and the times we would have stopped, there were no seats available.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

@CruiserBruce are you talking about band in crows nest?   FYI , I was ne of the “walkers” on our Aug 23 trip orange party “warmup”.  She was off key most of the time, hubby was at movie… he would have walked way before my tolerance…

No. Talking about the Ocean Bar band.

I found out the Ocean Bar Band female lead is Micheala.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@CruiserBruce Bruce, when you had lunch at Waterfront Warehouse in Halifax did they still offer seafood on menu?  I just looked at website menu and didn’t see seafood. We always had oysters, full belly fried clams or lobster there.

We have really enjoyed your post and thanks for sharing your cruise.

We’ll be visiting Halifax on our Seabourn Quest repositioning cruise late October and planned to have lunch there. Bruce

They definitely have seafood on the menu. Lots of it in pretty big serving sizes. 

• Like 3