Lock your cabin door

BamaVol

I got an unpleasant surprise last week.  My wife was out on deck and I was in the bathroom, about to take a shower.  I heard the door open and called out “hello”, expecting my wife to answer.  Instead the door of the bathroom opened, and there was the cabin attendant.  He was very apologetic, and explained that he thought he had left a bottle of cleaner in our bathroom.  Upon reflection, he made two mistakes.  First, he did not knock and announce himself.  Second, the screen at the door should have shown that I (or at least my medallion) was present in the room.

It’s no big deal.  At least for me.  He may have needed a case of mind bleach afterwards.

But, it was a reminder that there are locks on cabin doors for a reason.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

28 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I got an unpleasant surprise last week.  My wife was out on deck and I was in the bathroom, about to take a shower.  I heard the door open and called out “hello”, expecting my wife to answer.  Instead the door of the bathroom opened, and there was the cabin attendant.  He was very apologetic, and explained that he thought he had left a bottle of cleaner in our bathroom.  Upon reflection, he made two mistakes.  First, he did not knock and announce himself.  Second, the screen at the door should have shown that I (or at least my medallion) was present in the room.

It’s no big deal.  At least for me.  He may have needed a case of mind bleach afterwards.

But, it was a reminder that there are locks on cabin doors for a reason.

I have never seen anything in the screen outside the door saying what medallions were present. You can set the DND on the screen however

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DO NOT LOCK YOUR DOOR IF YOUR PARTNER IS SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I did that & then took a nap. I did not hear my husband knock. He could not get in. The cabin steward could not get in.

They had to call a supervisor to open the door !

Use the 'do not disturb' feature on the outside panel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, theloo said:

I tried to lock the door on my cabin as an experiment and I could still get in using the medallion.  It wasn't like a deadbolt or anything.

I accidentally left mine bolted and left through our adjoining cabin, and was not able to open my door with my Medallion.  I had to go back in through Mom's room.  This was on the Sapphire. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Shippy said:

I did that & then took a nap. I did not hear my husband knock. He could not get in. The cabin steward could not get in.

Couldn’t they just call the phone in the cabin?  It’s loud.  

• Like 2

I thought the steward is supposed to have a device that can tell them if the room is occupied. Of course, if my wife was out and I was going to shower I would definitely set the DND on the screen outside. I once (pre-Medallion) had a female steward open my cabin door and then start to come into the bathroom while I was "on the throne". Not cool. I like having the DND feature. Hopefully the steward would actually have noticed.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, doghog said:

Anyone have a picture of this DNR screen feature? Haven't been on a Princess cruise since 2010 (Grand) and we had door hangers at that time. We have the Enchanted booked for March 2024. 

"DNR" and "DND", two very different meanings. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 25

One day at work I heard the woman on the front desk saying it was weird because nobody had been calling all day. I looked at the phone and pointed out the DND button. She asked what it was and I explained. I turned the DND feature off and the phone started going nuts with all the people who had been calling all day. I had to make sure to point this out to all the clerical staff as none of them had any idea the feature was available. After all, if they didn't know what it meant it obviously wasn't something they needed to ask about...🥴

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, doghog said:

Thanks. We'll be leaving out of San Pedro (LAH) on 8 October on Celebrity's Eclipse. Do you take request for good weather. 😁

The Majestic will be in port with you, as it arrives San Pedro on the 7th for an overnight, then heading to Auckland and Sydney.

8 minutes ago, doghog said:

Thanks. We'll be leaving out of San Pedro (LAH) on 8 October on Celebrity's Eclipse. Do you take request for good weather. 😁

if I could control the weather I'd be a millionaire, but it shouldn't be bad here depending on where you are going you might hit some tropical storm activity still

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

if I could control the weather I'd be a millionaire, but it shouldn't be bad here depending on where you are going you might hit some tropical storm activity still

These days being a millionaire doesn't mean much if you take net worth into account. Real estate prices are crazy. I bought my house for $109k. Today it would sell for $450k. Put the same house in San Francisco and it would be well over $1m.

Times (and perspectives) change. I like this (partial) quote from Annie:

WARBUCKS: By the time I was twenty-three I’d made my first million. Then, in ten years, I turned that into a hundred million. (Nostalgically) Boy, in those days that was a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shippy said:

I was on a Carnival ship.  My room mate locked the cabin door from the inside to take a nap.  She’s hard of hearing.  Deaf in one ear.

Knocking didn’t work

Calling on the phone didn’t work

Panicking, I went to the front desk who summoned a supervisor

Not always a good idea to lock the door from the inside.  Maybe set Do not Disturb?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

These days being a millionaire doesn't mean much if you take net worth into account. Real estate prices are crazy. I bought my house for $109k. Today it would sell for $450k. Put the same house in San Francisco and it would be well over $1m.

Times (and perspectives) change. I like this (partial) quote from Annie:

WARBUCKS: By the time I was twenty-three I’d made my first million. Then, in ten years, I turned that into a hundred million. (Nostalgically) Boy, in those days that was a lot of money.

Problem is all the houses now cost $600,000 so, in effect, you've gained very little....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Problem is all the houses now cost $600,000 so, in effect, you've gained very little....

Where I live there are a few in the $m category but a lot of housing is available in the same range as my home. There is a lot of new housing however that is in the range you mentioned. I did check some past homes I've had here in town. One very small home I bought for $19k and sold for something like $27k. It sold last year for $175k. Another I bought for something like $47k and sold it for $75k or so. It was remodeled and sold last year for $435k. If only one had the resources to buy cheap and hang onto the real estate for later profits.

I don't have any plans to sell my home in the foreseeable future but one never knows what life will bring. It's not a huge house (3 bed, 2 bath, 1700 sq. ft.) which is a bit more house and yard than we need now for the two of us but it's paid for and I detest moving.

• Like 4