Extension cord?

Kitty Ellas Mom

4 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

My cord is 12 feet (approximately 4 meters) long. I've needed it that long for my CPAP machine in some cabins. It does not have surge protection. The cord resides permanently in my carry-on bag.

This may be a silly question, but having never traveled to Europe and having a CPAP machine, would I just bring an adapter to use for my extension cord? Then my CPAP would work fine through the extension cord?

21 minutes ago, Hollyann said:

This may be a silly question, but having never traveled to Europe and having a CPAP machine, would I just bring an adapter to use for my extension cord? Then my CPAP would work fine through the extension cord?

Since Europe uses 220V (not 110v) service you need to make sure your extension cord can handle the load first. Mine doesn’t so it has *never* been plugged into a European socket with an adapter. Also check your CPAP machine if it can handle 220V. There should be a label on the power supply. In hotels overseas I’ve never had an issue using the appropriate adapter on the CPAP cord plugged directly into the wall socket. Hotels usually have more outlets available than a cruise cabin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hollyann said:

Husband has used his CPAP in Europe and on cruise ships.  His CPAP (verified with the supply store) can be used either 110 or 220.  There is a label on the CPAP with 110/220 also.  We use a European type plug for the European hotel wall outlets and then we can use a regular US extension cord in  it if needed.  Otherwise, we just plug the CPAP cord plug into the European plug in the European wall outlet.  On the cruise ship, there will be a European wall outlet behind the bed that the lamp is plugged into.  We unplug the lamp and use the European plug for that outlet and then plug in the CPAP.  Haven't had to use an extension cord in a long time either at hotels or on the cruise ship.

We got our European style wall plugs while we were living in Germany so we could use all our US stuff.  People on Cruise Critic  have posted pictures of the different types of European or other countries  wall plugs they have bought off Amazon.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

Since Europe uses 220V (not 110v) service you need to make sure your extension cord can handle the load first.

CPAPs draw such a light load that *any* standard duty US extension cord will work. You really don't need to stress over this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Here is the cord we always bring along with no issues.

Screenshot_20230315-112806_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.0c87d3950a9d642a67a075b9a145580e.jpg

That is the exact surge protector we have bought for previous cruises and have loved to be able to charge electronics with it. On an European cruise will an adapter allow us to use this type of power strip with so many great charging stations on it? 
Sounds too good to be true. 

We have a couple of European adapters I bring.  On some of the ships, you can get to the plug for the bed table light on each side and plug it in and have access to electricity that way without cables strung across the cabin.  Not sure about the newer ships though.

I have extension cords similar to the ones above with both outlet and USB.  They are not surge protected though.  You can buy them on Amazon.  I typically use the European adapter, then plug in the extension cord, and now I have electric and USB right on the table besides the bed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We have a couple of European adapters I bring.  On some of the ships, you can get to the plug for the bed table light on each side and plug it in and have access to electricity that way without cables strung across the cabin.  Not sure about the newer ships though.

I have extension cords similar to the ones above with both outlet and USB.  They are not surge protected though.  You can buy them on Amazon.  I typically use the European adapter, then plug in the extension cord, and now I have electric and USB right on the table besides the bed.

The Royal class ships have the European outlet behind at least one bed.  DH uses it to keep from bringing an extension cord.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollyann said:

On an European cruise will an adapter allow us to use this type of power strip with so many great charging stations on it? 
Sounds too good to be true. 

You either need one with a European plug, or buy a European to US adapter, plug the adapter into the wall, then the extension cord.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

You either need one with a European plug, or buy a European to US adapter, plug the adapter into the wall, then the extension cord.  

Thank you, that is what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure.   It all sounds Greek to me... teehee🤣😂😅

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

My cord is 12 feet (approximately 4 meters) long. I've needed it that long for my CPAP machine in some cabins. It does not have surge protection. The cord resides permanently in my carry-on bag.

14 hours ago, Hollyann said:

8 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Husband has used his CPAP in Europe and on cruise ships.  His CPAP (verified with the supply store) can be used either 110 or 220.  There is a label on the CPAP with 110/220 also.  We use a European type plug for the European hotel wall outlets and then we can use a regular US extension cord in  it if needed.  Otherwise, we just plug the CPAP cord plug into the European plug in the European wall outlet.  On the cruise ship, there will be a European wall outlet behind the bed that the lamp is plugged into.  We unplug the lamp and use the European plug for that outlet and then plug in the CPAP.  Haven't had to use an extension cord in a long time either at hotels or on the cruise ship.

We got our European style wall plugs while we were living in Germany so we could use all our US stuff.  People on Cruise Critic  have posted pictures of the different types of European or other countries  wall plugs they have bought off Amazon.  

Easy peasy: buy one of these...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is almost always an outlet behind the bed for the lamp. Pull the bed away from the wall (or ask the steward to do it), plug the CPAP into one of the 110 outlets, the lamp into a 220 outlet and the adapter into the wall. Shove the bed back and you're good to go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Easy peasy: buy one of these...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is almost always an outlet behind the bed for the lamp. Pull the bed away from the wall (or ask the steward to do it), plug the CPAP into one of the 110 outlets, the lamp into a 220 outlet and the adapter into the wall. Shove the bed back and you're good to go.

You guys and gals spoil me!  In the cart and bought!  I appreciate all of you!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Dh has been doing this for years by himself.  Plug adapters we have are good for us.  Use them in the European desk outlet too. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, coo359a2 said:

On the cruise ship, there will be a European wall outlet behind the bed that the lamp is plugged into. 

On 9/19/2023 at 4:08 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

There is almost always an outlet behind the bed for the lamp

We will be in a mini suite next month on the Regal Princess.  DH uses a Cpap. Does anyone know if there is a plug under the bed on the Regal?  From the cabin pictures I have seen, it appears the only plug is on the desk across the room from the bed.  For safety reasons, I want to avoid running an extension cord across the room.  I have an european adaptor and a multi plug US type extension with a short cord.

2 minutes ago, Cajuntraveler said:

We will be in a mini suite next month on the Regal Princess.  DH uses a Cpap. Does anyone know if there is a plug under the bed on the Regal?  From the cabin pictures I have seen, it appears the only plug is on the desk across the room from the bed.  For safety reasons, I want to avoid running an extension cord across the room.  I have an european adaptor and a multi plug US type extension with a short cord.

Our last Regal cruise was march 2023. There is a European plug behind the bed. The nightstand lamp is plugged into this outlet. We use a European plug in the wall outlet and plug DH CPAP into that. We are on the Grand Princess now and it has the same European wall outlet. DH hasn’t had to use an extension cord for his CPAP since he found this outlet years ago. Sure makes it easier not having to set up ir walkover an extension cord . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1