Bermuda to Caribbean

mpbolero

1 hour ago, mpbolero said:

How is the sea from Bermuda to Caribbean in beginning of november ?

Are you asking about a time when there is a storm in the area, or perhaps even a late hurricane-like storm?

Or are you asking about when the relevant weather is calm?

Nope, I'm not trying to be annoying.  But it's impossible to tell in advance, given that it would depend upon the weather, including some activity that could be some distance away.  You could get sea that is almost glasslike, or you could get quite a bit of tossing about.  The cruise ships tend to have good stabilizers, but those can't eliminate all of the motion of the ocean when the seas are rough.

And given the distance (how far south into the Caribbean?), there could be several different "experiences".

I'd love to take a cruise like that, but we don't get seasick (even when we had very rough seas in other areas of the world), heading into those nice warm waters...! 🙂 

GC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mpbolero said:

How is the sea from Bermuda to Caribbean in beginning of november ?

It could be anything from smooth to rough. It depends on weather fronts the can't be predicted  in advance. Sea conditions can change from week to week. Even day to day. Best to pack some bonine or Dramamine just in case.

By the way If your cruise travels from Bermuda to San Juan you will be in the notorius Bermuda Triangle.... 

• Thanks 1

Sea conditions are next to impossible to predict and can change rapidly from calm to rough and visa versa.  Weather and other factors that would influence sea conditions are typically only accurate a week or so out, so there is no way to even begin to predict anything now.  You are also asking about conditions in an area covering more than 900 miles just to reach the Caribbean.  Things could change multiple times over that range. The only situation that could add impact to be considered is that November is the end of hurricane season so the conditions that are present that could favor storms developing will still be present to some extent.  But even that is impossible to predict.

In other words there is no way to know this answer. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, George C said:

Water around Bermuda can definitely be rough , only time in 75 cruises that I was seasick was by Bermuda.

And I will counter by saying that the calmest water we ever experienced in 30 years of cruising was around Bermuda - smooth as glass.  The roughest was in the Caribbean near Panama where we hit 25 foot waves - and not resulting from a storm.  So anywhere can be rough - or calm. Generally no predicting.

• Like 1

While you can’t predict weather ahead of time; I think it’s fair to say that open waters are usually rougher that hopping between islands. I would expect waters to be on the rough side and plan ahead for that if you need seasickness medicine. I get horribly sea sick and am generally fine in the Caribbean. But if we go far enough out to have 2 sea days in a row I’ve always felt the difference.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

I have done that itinerary a number of years ago (Bayonne, NJ / Bermuda / Caribbean) - although it was in the summer months - and the waters between Bermuda and the Caribbean were fine and not noticeably rougher than the transit to Bermuda or the Island hopping in the Caribbean.  This was our experience and yours can certainly vary. 

We also did the 5-day transit from Hawaii to Vancouver during April and a couple of days were very smooth and a couple were more noticeably choppy.  While there are certain specific areas of the world where seas are more regularly defined caused by conditions in the region,  I don't think there generally is any "typical when it comes to sea conditions - there is no pattern or firm prediction.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I was on a cruise 50 + years ago that actually sailed through the Bermuda Triangle.The water was very smooth ,the sun was shining when seemingly all of a sudden it began to storm and the water was not at all calm.Every passenger and crew member including the ships Doctor became sick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1