Are the connecting cabins noisey?

SAS21

Wondering if connecting cabins are noisy? Sailing on Harmony I saw a couple comments on cruisedecks.com that the connecting wall is very thin. We have a connecting booked and now I am a little concerned. 

13 minutes ago, SAS21 said:

Wondering if connecting cabins are noisy? Sailing on Harmony I saw a couple comments on cruisedecks.com that the connecting wall is very thin. We have a connecting booked and now I am a little concerned. 

Same wall.as every other cabin on the ship.  Any noise would come through the door and depending on how tight it seals could add some additional noise.  A large part will depend on who is in the other connecting cabin.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A large part will depend on who is in the other connecting cabin.

That would be my answer. I had one last year and didn't hear a thing but I'm sure if our neighbors were loud we would have heard them.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

But isn't that the case with any cabin (connecting or not)?

I feel there is at least somewhat less sound insulation from a connecting door than a wall with no breaks in it. I don't have the science to prove it of course. If you disagree, that's fine.

Yes, super noisy neighbors would be heard through a solid wall... and guest services would receive a call if they were THAT loud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAS21 said:

As indicated by others, it depends who is in the other cabin. The only connecting cabin I had, the couple returned to their cabin on nights 1 and 2 about 11 pm then argued. I could hear what they were saying but did not understand as they did not speak in English.

Night 3 as I was dressing for dinner, I heard them return to their cabin (not arguing), I turned the tv as loud as it could be & I never heard a sound from their cabin again that cruise.

58 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

But isn't that the case with any cabin (connecting or not)?

Could be as on 1 cruise (non connecting cabin) I could hear the person in the next cabin sneezing, talking on the phone & the loud volume of their tv in the early morning hours. The only connecting cabin I had, I could hear louder and clearer the noise from the connecting cabin. DId not know at that time to put a towel at the bottom of the connecting door.

13 hours ago, birdofsong said:

We were in a connecting room on the Allure last month, and we heard nothing.  

Same here on Oasis & Anthem.  What I find frustrating, when I need a connecting cabin for my party, they are more expensive than a non. However, when I travel solo without anyone, the connecting ones are much cheaper.  Can't win in life.🤣

• Like 1

We’ve had connecting cabins a number of times, and it doesn’t seem to us like it makes any difference at all with the noise. Just booked again and didn’t even give it a second thought. It was more important to us to be a few cabins closer to the elevator.

When we first started cruising many years ago, noise was often a problem from the people next door. Especially if we ended up next to partiers. You can hear things like a usually noisy sliding glass door to a balcony no matter if you have a connecting cabin or not. Bring ear plugs. They help, though won’t block out all sound. It’s much worse if you are under a dining room where the chairs are being dragged on the floor or next to any big show room, even when they are rehearsing. And of course, above or below any musical venue like a bar with loud music or something. I’m saving next to it storage room or another venue for a cruise is sometimes worse with regard to noise and most things. Seems like there is a lot of clunking and odd noises that come from those rooms so if your next one, can you hear it. 

The newer ships do a pretty good job of insulating from the noise of your cabin mates, as compared to years ago. Just the same, I guess everybody has their opinion. We again had a cabin with a connecting door on the Quantum this past July, and that wasn’t an issue at all.

Edited by mlbcruiser
  • Haha 1

Booked one cruise late, and all that was left were connecting cabins.  

Figured we would take the chance.  Never again.  

The thin door did not filter noise at all.  The neighbors had two young boys that were very boisterous and loud.  When Mommy and Daddy were apparently out, they were even louder.  Plus...they kept trying to open the connecting door.  I finally had to yell through the door "We are not letting you in, so cut it out!!!:  That stopped that...but not the continued noise.  

We’ve been in dozens of connecting cabins and I’ve never had an issue. Never heard the people next-door, because of the connecting door. 

Some ships have different furniture to make room for the connecting door area. For example, there might be a large chair in a connecting room versus a loveseat or couch in a non connecting room. 

I don’t care if the room is connecting,  but lately, the connecting rooms have been more expensive than the non-connecting rooms so there would be no reason for me to book one, unless I needed it. 

m

On 9/20/2023 at 4:05 PM, Tlbecker1 said:

It really depends on who your neighbors are.  

Absolutely nailed it.  We never heard a peep from the family in the connecting cabin, but the people on the non-connecting side ran their TV loudly all night long.

I never book a room with a connecting door.  We have had one in the past and heard the coming and going of our neighbors and I don't want to hear that again.  I also make sure to have cabins above us.  We have been under the pool eating area because you hear the chairs scrapping all time of the day and night.  Even when they are cleaning very early in the morning.

On 9/20/2023 at 3:30 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Same wall.as every other cabin on the ship.  Any noise would come through the door and depending on how tight it seals could add some additional noise.  A large part will depend on who is in the other connecting cabin.

Yes. We had a connected cabin once where the couple seemed to always leave bathroom door open when one was using toilet so they could talk. We could hear everything the said + some other rather unpleasant sounds. Never again!