Paper Boarding Pass

JTBCruiser

Just now, jean87510 said:

of course.  Husband has that.  I have both boarding passes on my phone.  We work as a team.

Just as well you aren’t traveling solo then, or you might hold people up.

Some people have elderly, children etc to deal with not everyone has a helper.

I have mine in the wallet too but since you need to show your passport it is just as simple to have the set sail pass as a bookmark as stated above.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Just as well you aren’t traveling solo then, or you might hold people up.

Some people have elderly, children etc to deal with not everyone has a helper.

I have mine in the wallet too but since you need to show your passport it is just as simple to have the set sail pass as a bookmark as stated above.

My iPhone works just fine as a bookmark in my passport.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

Worst place to ne at check in is behind someone who has their boarding pass on their phone and has to scroll through pages of photos to find it - just print the boarding pass directly from the app - 10X quicker

I get it, but, this is true for anyone who is not prepared.  As long as you have the boarding pass ready to go, regardless of the format it is in, you'll get through quickly and you won't have the people behind you cursing the day you were hatched.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Same here.  Our set sail passes are in our wallet on our iPhone. 

We avoid getting in line behind someone with their big folder of everything cruising who then inevitably starts handing out paper set sail passes to everyone they are sailing with.

Yes exactly what we do also.

Its just so easy and the modern world same as airline tickets.

When we see people with folders and such we to always avoid them.

No printing off passes at home no papers or folders to carry.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Why would pulling a piece of paper out take longer than pulling a phone out?

Because some people have never had to function without one. Boarding passes are in our passport books; passport books are in my hand as soon as we exit our car, and it takes less time to open the book and hand over the passes than it would for me to even take my phone out of my pocket and get to the home screen, let alone open the wallet and pull up the digital pass. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

I get it, but, this is true for anyone who is not prepared.  As long as you have the boarding pass ready to go, regardless of the format it is in, you'll get through quickly and you won't have the people behind you cursing the day you were hatched.

Absolutely. Unfortunately those people seem to be in the minority

Speaking only for myself, I find the paper-printed boarding pass easier for several reasons: 

- Paper can't run out of battery 

- I can't accidentally touch paper's screen and knock it to a wrong app just as I'm ready to show it 

- I can slide paper into my passport book and have all my items together 

- This allows me to keep my phone securely in my pocket /no danger of dropping it 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Because some people have never had to function without one. Boarding passes are in our passport books; passport books are in my hand as soon as we exit our car, and it takes less time to open the book and hand over the passes than it would for me to even take my phone out of my pocket and get to the home screen, let alone open the wallet and pull up the digital pass. 

The wallet is open to the set sail pass before you enter the terminal.  Facial recognition unlocks the phone and you swipe up, set sail pass is there.  Someone can show you how to do it if you don't understand.  As far as never having to function without a phone, you are just grasping for a reason not to use your phone.  If my 86 yr old mother can open her phone to her set sail pass, anyone can do it.

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Speaking only for myself, I find the paper-printed boarding pass easier for several reasons: 

- Paper can't run out of battery 

- I can't accidentally touch paper's screen and knock it to a wrong app just as I'm ready to show it 

- I can slide paper into my passport book and have all my items together 

- This allows me to keep my phone securely in my pocket /no danger of dropping it 

If you have that many issues with your phone, then it makes sense to use paper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

I keep my boarding pass on my iPhone in the Wallet, same place I keep boarding passes for the airlines.  Easy Peasy.

Ditto... I couldn't be easier.

The worst is those paper folks rummaging through their purse of carryon trying to find some rumpled piece of paper.  

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not sure what the folder is for. I have my printed cut out set sail pass inside my passport. It’s one small piece of paper.

Some people will have their Set sail pass, their receipts for every excursion they purchased on the cruise planner, the recipe for their drink package. printed maps of the ports of call.  On top of that, possibly their flight itineraries, a list of dining times for their UDP, a spread sheet of events they want to go to onboard.

There truly is no end to the amount of extraneous things people will print out prior to a trip.  I trust my tech.  I has never failed me.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Opening the wallet on an iPhone is literally two clicks of the power button. I promise you I can do it faster than you can open a book.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Some people will have their Set sail pass, their receipts for every excursion they purchased on the cruise planner, the recipe for their drink package. printed maps of the ports of call.  On top of that, possibly their flight itineraries, a list of dining times for their UDP, a spread sheet of events they want to go to onboard.

There truly is no end to the amount of extraneous things people will print out prior to a trip.  I trust my tech.  I has never failed me.  

The printed copies are like travel insurance. It's extraneous until you need it and don't have it. Printed copies are cheap and don't weigh much or take up much space in my carry-on bag. It's much better if there's an issue to hand someone a printout, versus a phone, if they're having computing problems and need to disappear for a moment to talk with someone to get the situation rectified. Paper copies are also seen as more official traditionally by many in customer facing positions. It's more likely to be seen as the truth versus a phone if there's a difference between a personal claim and what their system is showing.

Edited by Rackham
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I'm old I love paper😱

AND I HAVE been behind those people that can't pull up their boarding passes on their phones  at the airport 

Some are going to have issues whether they are using paper or phone.  We got stuck behind a couple who were clueless about how to go through the xray machine at the point.  The guy was sent back four times until he finally emptied all pockets, took off his belt, took off his hat, stopped carrying his iphone, etc.  Some are a lost cause.

You can keep your paper, as long as you don't lose it. 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Obviously, you didn't understand I was joking with Ellen.  She has cruised enough to know she can show up with neither and still get on the ship.

No, I didn't get the joke, sorry. I don't doubt the 2nd part though.

• Thanks 1

It never fails for me, I get behind someone at a toll booth, ATM, Cashier, whatever and the people in front of me or a few ahead of me just don't realize that it takes money, credit card, or other document to get by.  Then he has to get his wallet out of his back pocket and fiddle with it for what seems like an eternity OR she has to rummage through a purse that is as full as the NYC landfill.  PEOPLE HAVE YOUR STUFF READY.  

Oh, and then there are those that after spending an eternity looking for whatever, the card is declined.  Then there is the arguing about it.  PEOPLE, the attendant/cashier has nothing to do with a card being declined.  It's the bank!  Get out of line and call the bank, the number on the back of the card.  Arguing with the attendant is futile, he/she has nothing to do with it, especially if you swipe, tap, or insert it.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1