CC Shortcuts for Dear Wife, Dear Son, etc.

USN59-79

At one time there was a listing of the shortcut for dear people in your life, such as DW for Dear Wife.  But I am unsure of some of them particularly when the first letter could describe something else, like is DS Dear Sister or Dear Son.  Can anyone point me to the listing?

Thanks

Ray

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

At one time there was a listing of the shortcut for dear people in your life, such as DW for Dear Wife.  But I am unsure of some of them particularly when the first letter could describe something else, like is DS Dear Sister or Dear Son.  Can anyone point me to the listing?

Thanks

Ray

I can't help you on that but anyone dear to you is easily referenced by D to start.. For dear. I call them beloved but that's me. My small circle.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks

Ray

As this question on the “Daily” they know everything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the listing is gone now.  There’s no way of knowing if DS is Dear Son or Dear Sis to my knowledge except by the inclination of the poster’s tone.

To add to your misery, I added a new one - DD DH = Dearly Departed DH.

• Like 11

I'm on the young end of the HAL demographic, and even I don't find it necessary to use these abbreviations.  Is it really that much harder to write "my wife" than "DW"?  It's certainly less open to interpretation and potential confusion.  It's always been a pet peeve of mine on this site, and this thread gave me the perfect opportunity to vent a bit--thank you!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Nice to know that I am not the only one who struggles with this.  I can usually figure it out from the context.  However, today a person mentioned losing their SO and I don't have a clue of what she meant.  Thought it could have been a typo, but later someone offered their condolences, so someone knew what it meant.

Ray

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Nice to know that I am not the only one who struggles with this.  I can usually figure it out from the context.  However, today a person mentioned losing their SO and I don't have a clue of what she meant.  Thought it could have been a typo, but later someone offered their condolences, so someone knew what it meant.

Ray

I think SO would mean "significant other" (?) 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Not what I would call my dear wife though.

Many people use SO (significant other) because it is a committed partnership but they are not married.

The acronym I hate is SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) I think husbands who use it think they are being funny but I find it very disrespectful.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Many people use SO (significant other) because it is a committed partnership but they are not married.

The acronym I hate is SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) I think husbands who use it think they are being funny but I find it very disrespectful.

Using the term SO also could conceal the issue as to the gender of the other partner — given that sometimes it was (and in areas of the world still is) necessary to hide queer or nonstandard relationships.

I use the full phrase when referring to my own husband when speaking a few times — and I’ve been married for a fair bit of time (over half my life now) — but that is usually depending on the company I’m in at the time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

I also dislike acronyms, why are people too lazy to write it out in full, is our life that busy?? 

Many of these abbreviations date back decades — I know I encountered many of them way back on bulletin boards (BBs) long before the World Wide Web launched.  They were useful then because of speed issues (most were on dialup modems).  They remained useful when the first mobile phones were doing texts — that whole using keypad on phone to type things out and having to tap three times to get certain letters). They remained useful due to ability to type a response quickly even though phones moved to keyboard interfaces.  Now they are part of the urban language basically.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Shalandara said:

Many of these abbreviations date back decades — I know I encountered many of them way back on bulletin boards (BBs) long before the World Wide Web launched.  They were useful then because of speed issues (most were on dialup modems).  They remained useful when the first mobile phones were doing texts — that whole using keypad on phone to type things out and having to tap three times to get certain letters). They remained useful due to ability to type a response quickly even though phones moved to keyboard interfaces.  Now they are part of the urban language basically.

In the early days of sending telegraphs you were charged by the word, these abbreviations started then to cut down on the number of words used to convey a message

• Like 6

14 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks

Ray

D stands for designated not dear...

1 hour ago, vswan said:

I know I'm getting old when I see a string of letters and have to google them to figure out what someone is trying to say.

There are some I have to google also.  I am not necessarily someone who uses acronyms as I used WAY too much in my previous work life!!  🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vswan said:

I know I'm getting old when I see a string of letters and have to google them to figure out what someone is trying to say.

At least google knows, which is helpful. At first I was confused but I got used to it and now it keeps me on my toes when a new abbreviation comes along. I'm comfortable with it, "lol".

14 hours ago, iceman93 said:

I'm on the young end of the HAL demographic, and even I don't find it necessary to use these abbreviations.  Is it really that much harder to write "my wife" than "DW"?  It's certainly less open to interpretation and potential confusion.  It's always been a pet peeve of mine on this site, and this thread gave me the perfect opportunity to vent a bit--thank you!

Based on the 13 likes this post has gotten it seems many have the same pet peeve.

I'm also on the young end of HAL demographics and have never even given abbreviations a second thought, let alone considered it a pet peeve. 

Goes to show just how different perspectives are. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2