Urgent help - parents passport stolen in Athens

Mark_UK

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Perhaps, although I suspect the embassy will have no problem locating your passport information with, or without, a paper copy. There's certainly no harm in carrying a copy though. 

I am following the checklist on the US State Department website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-checklist.html#:~:text=Make two copies of all,it separate from your money.

Safeguard Your Documents! Make two copies of all your travel documents in case of emergency. Leave one copy with a trusted friend or relative at home and carry the other separately from your original documents. To help prevent theft, do not carry your passport in your back pocket, and keep it separate from your money.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I’ve always read posts from people who say you must take your passport ashore every day. This unfortunate thread should highlight once onboard if the cruise line don’t take your passport (which I prefer!) it’s passport to the safe until disembarking unless there is a legal requirement to have it with you ashore. 

I accept some countries ask that you carry an official document and many guests just use the passports again we never do that -  we will use our driving licenses whenever we can

I know the original passports were stolen before the guests got on board and once on board, perhaps the inconvenience is a little less, but still don’t carry passports ashore unless you absolutely have to. 

I hope things are beginning to settle down for the poster and his parents, and the time they are able to enjoy a wonderful

Some countries like Japan require you to have your passport on you at all times for identification.  It is a legal requirement. They can fine you if you do not have it and they will not accept other identification.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, uktog said:

I accept some countries ask that you carry an official document and many guests just use the passports again we never do that -  we will use our driving licenses whenever we can

I leave my passport in the safe on the ship if a passport is not required on shore. I also leave my driver's license on the ship if I am not renting transportation, and bring my passport card as ID. The passport card is the one piece of ID that would not be a minor life disrupting event to replace.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I leave my passport in the safe on the ship if a passport is not required on shore. I also leave my driver's license on the ship if I am not renting transportation, and bring my passport card as ID. The passport card is the one piece of ID that would not be a minor life disrupting event to replace.

There are so many times ashore I need ID - to get age discounts, confirm a credit card transaction I carry my license ashore all the time. Like many cruisers I come from a country that doesn’t issue passport cards just passport “booklets”

51 minutes ago, uktog said:

There are so many times ashore I need ID - to get age discounts, confirm a credit card transaction I carry my license ashore all the time. Like many cruisers I come from a country that doesn’t issue passport cards just passport “booklets”

I never have needed to carry my drivers license as ID anywheres except when I am driving or buying alcohol. Or on a cruise.  Yep, even though a senior I have to show my license when buying wine at Target. At the pharmacy to pick up a prescription they ask me my birthdate. I don’t have a passport card. It is worthless for any travel I do. I am not OCD enough to need a backup ID. So on a cruise I do take my ID ashore as ID. However next time I renew my book I will probably get one as backup ID  because it is cheap. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, uktog said:

Just as an FYI to other cruisers, there has been discussion on the Italy Ports of Call board very recently about carrying your passport ashore. Italy has long had a "requirement" on the books for everyone to carry something that serves as a "national ID".  In the past this has been honored mostly in the breach although from time to time certain parts of Italy have gotten tetchy about it. (I recall for a few years the Venice authorities required it when entering the port area to reboard ship -- we were warned by the cruiseline).

At any rate, Italy has stepped up random checks for this kind of ID, specifically in Rome and in places like train stations and tourist spots. If you do not have a document that passes muster (e.g., not a copy), you will be fined on the spot.

The problem for US travelers is that we have no ID issued at the national level other than a passport. (Drivers' licenses are issued by states, which does not seem to fulfill the Italy requirement.)

The strong suggestion is that one should carry one's passport, for now. But be VERY careful with it as pickpockets are quite active in tourist locations in Rome, Florence, Naples, etc.  Keep it secured in a secret/inside/zipped pocket or money belt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm curious about other's experience.    I have traveled to Japan for 20+ years on business as well as pleasure.   I've never carried my passport on me nor have I ever been asked for it except when checking into a hotel.

I have never been stopped by the Police (as I'm sure is true of most of us) nor asked to present it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm curious about other's experience.    I have traveled to Japan for 20+ years on business as well as pleasure.   I've never carried my passport on me nor have I ever been asked for it except when checking into a hotel.

I have never been stopped by the Police (as I'm sure is true of most of us) nor asked to present it.

I have had the same experience as you, Jim. I have never been asked for a random identification check at any destination around the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Most of us have never, and will never, encountered a problem.  But there's just no point in taking the chance.  I've dredged up my little valuables holders and will now carry my CC, PP and whatever else every day of travel outside the USA.  Just put the thing on every morning, add it to my routine.  My bottom line is to avoid wasting time on anything so easily fixed with foresight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjfship said:

I have had the same experience as you, Jim. I have never been asked for a random identification check at any destination around the world.

Mexico at a certain time 2 years ago was checking for ID. People were detained with the migrants for not having passports on them, however mostly this happened on bus transport. People would leave the passport in the hotel. This subsided.

18 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Some countries like Japan require you to have your passport on you at all times for identification.  It is a legal requirement. They can fine you if you do not have it and they will not accept other identification.   

That was not the case when we were in Japan.

• Like 1

As mentioned in another thread, last year in Rome I was in the train station and the police were going around asking for ID from all the tourists. I had to show them my passport and they were really checking it out (maybe because it's Canadian but birth country is UK)

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's like buying insurance - 99.9% of the time it's a waste of money but when you need it it's vital. When a country requires us to carry out passports we do it ( stored in security pocke). Last time we had to show it Buenos Aires to use a Credit Card - unfortunately we hadn't brought it (just popped out for a coffee and the boss spotted a beautiful hand made neckless). I was despatched back to the hotel while the boss waited to make that the neckless wasn't sold to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peteymil said:

That was not the case when we were in Japan.

Not sure when you were in Japan, but they've had this law for many, many years.  They don't stop everyone, but it is actually a law - foreigners / tourists are required to carry ID and can be stopped and asked to show it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I never have needed to carry my drivers license as ID anywheres except when I am driving or buying alcohol. Or on a cruise.  Yep, even though a senior I have to show my license when buying wine at Target. At the pharmacy to pick up a prescription they ask me my birthdate. I don’t have a passport card. It is worthless for any travel I do. I am not OCD enough to need a backup ID. So on a cruise I do take my ID ashore as ID. However next time I renew my book I will probably get one as backup ID  because it is cheap. 

I wish I had read this thread before sending my info in for my passport renewal! 

• Like 1

Due to this issue of stolen passports, I thought I better go and read all the fine print in my trip insurance for my upcoming travel. It does have a part that it will cover stolen passports and trip interruption.  I don’t think I ever looked at all the fine print before. 

I am so sorry this happened to your parents. 

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just as an FYI to other cruisers, there has been discussion on the Italy Ports of Call board very recently about carrying your passport ashore. Italy has long had a "requirement" on the books for everyone to carry something that serves as a "national ID".  In the past this has been honored mostly in the breach although from time to time certain parts of Italy have gotten tetchy about it. (I recall for a few years the Venice authorities required it when entering the port area to reboard ship -- we were warned by the cruiseline).

At any rate, Italy has stepped up random checks for this kind of ID, specifically in Rome and in places like train stations and tourist spots. If you do not have a document that passes muster (e.g., not a copy), you will be fined on the spot.

The problem for US travelers is that we have no ID issued at the national level other than a passport. (Drivers' licenses are issued by states, which does not seem to fulfill the Italy requirement.)

The strong suggestion is that one should carry one's passport, for now. But be VERY careful with it as pickpockets are quite active in tourist locations in Rome, Florence, Naples, etc.  Keep it secured in a secret/inside/zipped pocket or money belt.

Hmm, this is quite a conundrum. Yes, I could carry my passport on the chance I am stopped and asked for it. Does Italy need the fine money that bad that they will harass tourists who are doing nothing but trying to see sights? 😉

Yes, I understand that it's a requirement but it seems like a lot of annoyance for little actual gain. I guess I will go over to the Italy board and check it out <sigh>. It never gets easier, does it? 🙂