Twice daily cabin service?

bphman

We will be sailing in a Neptune suite next year and cannot find anything regarding cabin. service.  We sailed another line and had to choose between morning or evening service.  We were not happy since any used glasses, food items, used towels were not addressed until the next time.  Call me spoiled but we like coming back to a clean cabin prepped for the evening.  All. of these cutbacks are affecting the pleasure of cruising.   Thanks.

We were on N Statendam in August and we had a choice of once per day or twice per day. We chose once per day  because our cabin stewards had so many more rooms than they did prior to shutdown.  We also requested ice in the evenings - just ice but they always checked our towels and took any dirty dishes.   Not a ‘full turn down’ but they took very good care of us.  

• Like 6

Had service twice a day on both the Oosterdam (Neptune Suite) and Koningsdam (verandah).  I don’t think you should have an issue, OP.   there may be the card in your cabin where you can select options.  I don’t believe I had one on the Oosterdam - I suspect for suites - twice a day service is the norm.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gigi1977 said:

We were on N Statendam in August and we had a choice of once per day or twice per day. We chose once per day  because our cabin stewards had so many more rooms than they did prior to shutdown.  We also requested ice in the evenings - just ice but they always checked our towels and took any dirty dishes.   Not a ‘full turn down’ but they took very good care of us.  

That was the same service I received on the Rotterdam in March and I was in an inside room as a single.  Additionally, when i encountered my steward in the hallway he always asked me if there was anything I needed. I can't say enough good things about the service I have always received on HAL!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Choose what you want as far as how many times a day (1x or 2x) from our April cruise......

We chose 1x in the morning but extra towels & bring the daily program in the evening....I like that we have choices and selections based on what we want......The room stewards were fantastic. 

• Like 1

What everyone is sharing doesn't even just apply to suites. I have stayed in just a verandah and have always gotten it twice a day. This is standard for all rooms on their ships. As others have said some have started asking if you want it once or twice. Also, if for some reason you don't receive turn down service just ask your room steward and they will make sure it happens. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

Staying in a suite on HAL, they have never even asked us if we want 1x or 2x per day,

We were in a suite (Signature Suite if that qualifies as a suite) in March/April of this year (Oosterdam) and our cabin stewards did ask 1x or 2x and all the other requests (ice, extra towels, evening delivery of the daily program, whatever).......We requested 1x in the morning and we also were able to pull our bedding down so we could get in the bed in the evening w/no assistance needed by the room stewards.

Enjoy the journey....whether it is 1x or 2x a day room steward service!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gigi1977 said:

This was my experience on the Zaadam in early September. We asked for once a day service with just ice in the evening, but the dishes & trash was cleared in the evening and towels were refreshed. And no matter how often I hung the towels I wanted to reuse, they were replaced twice a day.

• Like 3

Morning service is enough. As mentioned before, how hard is it to do a turn down? For me, I am a little irked to find the curtains drawn at turn down. I like to see outside anytime of day or night. Also, with staff cut backs, it gives my cabin attendant a bit of a break.

• Like 5

When we boarded Rotterdam on Saturday our steward told us we had the option of once or twice a day, whatever we wanted.

We told him we would be happy with once a day, but in the evening.  It works for us as we have the day free from 'stewarding' but wet towels are replaced each evening.  

• Like 1

Also in the navigator app you can choose your options for service.  I believe it’s under “order now” or “service now” and you can request things for one time (extra hangers, pillows, etc) or to be done daily (AM ice, turndown, etc)

i used that option last month on zuiderdam as I didn’t see the attendants during the first 24 hours (rare- I usually run into them and introduce myself etc on first day) and it worked perfectly.   

anither nifty feature of this section of the app allows you to request things be retrieved. (Dirty room service tray, laundry, etc) this is handy if you miss the AM service but want to send laundry out or whatnot. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Also, with staff cut backs, it gives my cabin attendant a bit of a break.

Royal Caribbean went to once a day service early this year. No it wasn’t a big deal, but it was a cut in service. 

Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America still provide twice a day service. It’s one of the little things that makes these lines a notch above the others. 

If it makes someone feel better about only having once a day service, fine,  maybe if a person asks for service every other day (like some hotels), they would have even more of a break. 

Thank you for all the responses.  I can certainly turn down my bed at night as well as make the bed in the morning as I do at home.  However, when on a vacation, I like a little indulgence.  I usually hang my towels and, if changed, great.  If not, they will be the next day in my experience.  I do like clean glassware and my wife and I will have a drink before dinner and, with usually only 2 glasses per cabin, I would rather not have to clean them for a nightcap.  I appreciate the extra effort and I tip accordingly.  We also keep our cabin neat and everything put away.  No dirty laundry or towels on the floor.

10 hours ago, highscar said:

I’ve been turning down my own bed for over 80 yrs. I’m sure I can remember how to do it on a ship. Lol.     

And I'm sure you know how to do your own laundry, cook your own meals, and clean your own dishes.  Lol.  But when I am on vacation, and particularly on an upscale cruise, part of what I'm paying for is NOT doing any of those things.

Is evening turndown going to make or break my experience?  No, but given that our afternoon often involves a nap (messing up the sheets), a workout or pool time (requiring an in-cabin shower which uses towels), or bringing plates or glasses back to the cabin which need to be removed, we appreciate the evening service which returns everything back to perfection before we return for the night.  Pillow chocolates and towel animals are bonuses.

I guess the point of this thread is that HAL is wisely asking guests what they prefer.  Those who want the full pampering of two daily services can get it, while those who just want once-a-day service can choose that.  Seems like a win-win for all, with no need for snark.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Morning service is enough. As mentioned before, how hard is it to do a turn down? For me, I am a little irked to find the curtains drawn at turn down. I like to see outside anytime of day or night. Also, with staff cut backs, it gives my cabin attendant a bit of a break.

We open ours from time we board until they kick us out on last day. 🫣 It always irked me, too, to come in to curtains drawn late day until I remembered to ask Cabin Steward to please leave them open. They mostly remember.