Solarium now 18+

21 minutes ago, mkmaj said:

I'm personally very irritated by this. We are sailing in 5 weeks and I was very much looking forward to quiet reading time with my quiet reader 16 year old. It feels like my whole cruise plan has been sabotaged.

As before, I don't expect they'll boot out anyone quietly reading with a parent.  I get it, I had one who very much appreciated the solace at that age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Td6462 said:

It was a noticeable difference on the Repo. AO said 57 total aboard 0-13. One was mine. Sorry I did not get to run into you. I looked for the sweat shirt. 

Thank's, was on from Labor Day-24th surprised you didnt. Walk the whole Ship 2 times a day in am and afternoon, Deck 13-2. Always sat up in the left hand Balcony for Shows. Was switching it up, wore my Michigan State University and 101st Air Assault Hoodies, both Black. 95% time wearing Green Cap with USA Flag or US ARMY written on it.  Done 10 the usual Boston-Florida Repo's and as said Kids normally lot lower, Sailing to Boston 2010-2020's is typically from Europe, this was new one for me. I missed the C&A get together, Capt did announce to Crew on change over day C&A numbers though I missed total passenger count, did you here what total was? Leaving next week on the 16n Radiance PC Cruise with my Daughter/SIL/Grand Daughter, only second time I Cruised with my Grand Daughter

Edited by ONECRUISER

10 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

As before, I don't expect they'll boot out anyone quietly reading with a parent.  I get it, I had one who very much appreciated the solace at that age.

I would think it could be dependent on ship and sailing and even staffer. Don't teens registered for the teen club wear bracelets of some sort? People (snarky passengers and crew doing things by the book) could be on the lookout for those, especially early on.

31 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Any age can access the food facility inside any Solarium,  (regardless of the name of that venue) But under 16 (and now 18) can only do that in the Solarium.  Food.

Pools, hot tubs, loungers.  All age-restricted.

I did not know this.  I thought that kids under 16 (now under 18) were not allowed into the Solarium at all--that would include the Solarium Bistro on the ships that have that venue.  I have been on several Oasis class ships that have the Bistro--only the last cruise in January we saw (lots of) kids in the Solarium Bistro.  I was a little taken aback by that.  But, now I know and will not be seeking this food space for a kids free space.

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I would think it could be dependent on ship and sailing and even staffer. Don't teens registered for the teen club wear bracelets of some sort? People (snarky passengers and crew doing things by the book) could be on the lookout for those, especially early on.

Teen Club is more informal, not really all Bracelets like younger ones. Hard tell age by looks, it's hard now with  Teens looking like Adults but even 20yrs ago when I Cruised with my 12-14yr old Daughter they always thought she was my Wife

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Teen Club is more informal, not really all Bracelets like younger ones. 

I've seen bracelets on teens before (your typical tear off ones, not the snap on muster ones). I always assumed that was related to the teen club.

We just aged out of Adventure Ocean and the next cruise will be my son's teen club debut, so I'm not sure what those bracelets are for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've seen bracelets on teens before (your typical tear off ones, not the snap on muster ones). I always assumed that was related to the teen club.

We just aged out of Adventure Ocean and the next cruise will be my son's teen club debut, so I'm not sure what those bracelets are for.

My Kids would hang with the Teens but not in the Club, Grand Daughter does same. Years ago they'd put the Bands on all the Kids at Lifeboat Drill. Now as my GD hasnt gone to Clubs to register then wouldnt get one. Though her parents made sure she had one on first day before she turned 12

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Only one of my 3 ever used the teen club and I don't recall a bracelet but she's now 28 so there's that lol!  And mine always looked older too, heck these days everyone looks young to me but I'd only ever call someone out if it was noise or obvious they weren't meant to be there!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gammite said:

If RC were smart they would make at least a couple of ships adult only. They would stay sold out. 

Royal Caribbean is a cruise line geared to families and so are their ships.  They will never have any adult only ships under the RC brand. You are cruising on the the wrong cruise line if you expect more than the adults only Solarium. 

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm not 100% but I think the bracelets have to do with Flowrider waiver.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mkmaj said:

I'm personally very irritated by this. We are sailing in 5 weeks and I was very much looking forward to quiet reading time with my quiet reader 16 year old. It feels like my whole cruise plan has been sabotaged.

If your 16 year old is a quiet reader they probably they won't be noticed. I have seen young people who were noticible because they were spashing around in the pool or hot tub. One family brought thier kids once who were obviously under 16 and they acted like most kids would diving in and being kids. They were asked to leave and  the family was offended. We though were happy they were asked to leave. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, moposh said:

Isn't the Solarium at the back of the ship?  At least the ships I've been on.  I wish they would restrict age in hot tubs.  Pools do that.  I guess now the hot tubs in Solarium will be age restricted.  

Are there any in the back of the ship?  Radiance class the Windjammer is in the back of the ship.  The Solarium is on the same deck, just behind the SPA.

11 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Are there any in the back of the ship?  Radiance class the Windjammer is in the back of the ship.  The Solarium is on the same deck, just behind the SPA.

Vision class (solarium back before spa, windjammer front).

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Thanks 1

So I'm also irritated at this. We are going on our first cruise in 20 years in November with my disabled mother & my 16 yr old. The 16 year old is being included on this trip mostly to be a part time caregiver & helper to my mom. (a bit of a sore point for my other kids being left at home because they were not old enough to help) This trip is primarily for my mother, even though we expected everyone to enjoy it. We did our homework on a bunch of cruise lines & the Solarium access for 16+ wasn't the only reason we chose Royal Caribbean, but it was on the list because it made things simple since all caregivers could go everywhere my mother might want to. If my daughter can't use the Solarium, my mother (81, so well over 18+) by default can't either when my daughter relieves me or my aunt. Or I just don't get respite, which seems like its the more likey scenario to play out.

If the rule had been 18 when we booked that would have been understandable, & we could have taken that in consideration with our plans. I wouldn't have let my kid think that she could use these facilities. It also just generally sucks to have to take away access that was already promised, in accordance with the rules, when my daughter already had time to be excited by it. I'm not particuarly interested in playing games with her using the facillites & hoping no one questions.

Of course, we are far beyond the time to cancel & get our money back, so we will make the best of it. I'm sure that Royal has covered all their fine print bases, but it feels very scummy & bait & switchy to make this change without notice in advance & so close to our sail date. Would it not make sense to make this change starting on an anounced future date, still within the cancel period for future cruises, so that those for whom this might be a deal breaker can have the option to change their plans? This gives me a really bad taste for Royal Carribean going in to this cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knitwit said:

So I'm also irritated at this. We are going on our first cruise in 20 years in November with my disabled mother & my 16 yr old. The 16 year old is being included on this trip mostly to be a part time caregiver & helper to my mom. (a bit of a sore point for my other kids being left at home because they were not old enough to help) This trip is primarily for my mother, even though we expected everyone to enjoy it. We did our homework on a bunch of cruise lines & the Solarium access for 16+ wasn't the only reason we chose Royal Caribbean, but it was on the list because it made things simple since all caregivers could go everywhere my mother might want to. If my daughter can't use the Solarium, my mother (81, so well over 18+) by default can't either when my daughter relieves me or my aunt. Or I just don't get respite, which seems like its the more likey scenario to play out.

If the rule had been 18 when we booked that would have been understandable, & we could have taken that in consideration with our plans. I wouldn't have let my kid think that she could use these facilities. It also just generally sucks to have to take away access that was already promised, in accordance with the rules, when my daughter already had time to be excited by it. I'm not particuarly interested in playing games with her using the facillites & hoping no one questions.

Of course, we are far beyond the time to cancel & get our money back, so we will make the best of it. I'm sure that Royal has covered all their fine print bases, but it feels very scummy & bait & switchy to make this change without notice in advance & so close to our sail date. Would it not make sense to make this change starting on an anounced future date, still within the cancel period for future cruises, so that those for whom this might be a deal breaker can have the option to change their plans? This gives me a really bad taste for Royal Carribean going in to this cruise.

I wouldn't be too worried about it in your case. A 16 year old is hard to distinguish from an 18 year old.  An 18 year old who is clearly assisting an 81 one year old passenger is unlikely to have an issue.  The 16 year olds that are the going to be asked to leave are the ones making a commotion and in some way detracting from  that peace and quiet that the Solarium is supposed to be about.  Don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise.  I doubt it will be an issue. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, moposh said:

Isn't the Solarium at the back of the ship?  At least the ships I've been on.  I wish they would restrict age in hot tubs.  Pools do that.  I guess now the hot tubs in Solarium will be age restricted.  

In front on Voyager class and up.

Quantum and Oasis class completely in front.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1