Solarium now 18+

25 minutes ago, gammite said:

If RC were smart they would make at least a couple of ships adult only. They would stay sold out. 

Done 50+ Sailings on Radiance Class, Cruises of 10-16 nites only one had 50 Kids, average is 20-25 but usually less. Will enjoy this Class/Size long as it's around

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Except when you go to the Park Cafe or Solarium Bistro. Plus 1-4 pm when you are on a cold weather cruise. And the original restriction was only for the pool.

The age restriction applies to the entire Solarium area, not just the pool. I don’t see this rule having much of an impact. I have seen countless people asked to leave the Solarium, including quite a few on my last 5 cruises over the past three months. However, all of these people were asked to leave because they had very young children with them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

As long as they don't go the way Virgin has.  

Won’t happen in the next 20 years. You don’t invest that much money in kids areas, climbing walls, flow riders, zip lines, water slides, family cabins, etc, etc to abandon the demographic. Some adults may use some of these things but only in small numbers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Won’t happen in the next 20 years. You don’t invest that much money in kids areas, climbing walls, flow riders, zip lines, water slides, family cabins, etc, etc to abandon the demographic. Some adults may use some of these things but only in small numbers. 

I didn't say it would.  I just think that Virgin is a unique product and is definitely not for everyone.  Their shows don't appeal to us at all and the party atmosphere is really geared towards under 50's.   Funny thing is, Royal is investing in the demographic that complains that baby boomers have all the money and that cruising is so expensive. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

LONG LONG overdue 

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

While there is no guarantee that this will eliminate childish behavior by adults, it's a start.  Now, if they would only enforce their own rules.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twangster said:

I wouldn't expect a CEO of any large enterprise to know every single policy.  

I totally agree.  However, if he's enjoyed the pleasure of cruising on one, at least, of his own ships and visited the Solarium, he'd see the signs making it an adult-only venue with the rule that you must be at least 16 to enter.  And, it's kinda big rule, it ain't like how many blue towels guests can take to CocoCay, or anything like that.  Oh, and if I were the CEO, I don't think I'd answer the question that way.  Maybe, "I'll have to get my team to look into that".  

• Like 2

Though this affects only a small sliver of passengers, it's a good move.  

I have seen the lifeguards enforcing the adults-only rule.  I can't remember which ship, but a man brought his toddler to the Solarium pool, and he'd barely let her touch her feet to the water before a lifeguard came over to him.  He left without fireworks.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Done 50+ Sailings on Radiance Class, Cruises of 10-16 nites only one had 50 Kids, average is 20-25 but usually less. Will enjoy this Class/Size long as it's around

It was a noticeable difference on the Repo. AO said 57 total aboard 0-13. One was mine. Sorry I did not get to run into you. I looked for the sweat shirt. 

7 hours ago, crazyank said:

you really need to check your facts,  we've seen the sign saying "no one under 16 allowed in the hot tubs"  many times in the solarium

OK, OK it also says on Radiance class 16+ for the pool. but anyone is allowed in the Solarium on Radiance class.  Those are the facts.

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The age restriction applies to the entire Solarium area, not just the pool. I don’t see this rule having much of an impact. I have seen countless people asked to leave the Solarium, including quite a few on my last 5 cruises over the past three months. However, all of these people were asked to leave because they had very young children with them. 

No, especially on Radiance class.

I'm personally very irritated by this. We are sailing in 5 weeks and I was very much looking forward to quiet reading time with my quiet reader 16 year old. It feels like my whole cruise plan has been sabotaged.