Help me understand Princess' sales

OfTheSeasCruiser

Hi all, 

I'm new to Princess after many sailings with Royal and now Celebrity. I'm used to their sales that are usually just gimmicks that never really impact a cruise price by more than a couple hundred dollars. For them, if a cruise is popular, its going to be expensive; if they need to fill cabins, its going to cheap, and that's basically it. But Princess' prices and sales seem a bit more consistent. 

For example, I've been waiting for the 2025 Canada & New England sailings that were just released today. A balcony is listed at $1548 with no clear sale indicated. I referenced the same sailing in 2024, which is listed at $948, discounted down from a starting price of $1548.

Is it safe to assume that the same discount will eventually make its way to the 2025 sailings? Based on the amount of cabins that are still available in 2024, I'm going to wait on booking 2025, but just curious if there is a rhyme of reason to when the price will come down? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Is it safe to assume that the same discount will eventually make its way to the 2025 sailings?

No, it is not safe to assume the same discount will occur.  As mentioned above, we book as soon as a cruise becomes available (usually the lowest fare you'll see) and watch the sailing for price reductions.  This way you will also secure the cabin of your choice.

Watch out for non-refundable deposits, we always book refundable deposits.

Happy cruising!  🙂 

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Hi all, 

I'm new to Princess after many sailings with Royal and now Celebrity. I'm used to their sales that are usually just gimmicks that never really impact a cruise price by more than a couple hundred dollars. For them, if a cruise is popular, its going to be expensive; if they need to fill cabins, its going to cheap, and that's basically it. But Princess' prices and sales seem a bit more consistent. 

For example, I've been waiting for the 2025 Canada & New England sailings that were just released today. A balcony is listed at $1548 with no clear sale indicated. I referenced the same sailing in 2024, which is listed at $948, discounted down from a starting price of $1548.

Is it safe to assume that the same discount will eventually make its way to the 2025 sailings? Based on the amount of cabins that are still available in 2024, I'm going to wait on booking 2025, but just curious if there is a rhyme of reason to when the price will come down? 

Their sales are very similar to PCL sales too.  Bigger reductions seem to come, if they are not full, with a lot of cabins still open.

We book when it comes out and watch for price reductions.  You have until FP to cancel if it did not go down enough for your likes.  Just pick the non refundable deposit and you've lost nothing.

If you have a CVP/TA they may check for you also.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Their sales are very similar to PCL sales too.  Bigger reductions seem to come, if they are not full, with a lot of cabins still open.

We book when it comes out and watch for price reductions.  You have until FP to cancel if it did not go down enough for your likes.  Just pick the non refundable deposit and you've lost nothing.

I think you meant refundable deposit, didn't you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Mean’t pick a “refundable deposit”!  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 7:06 AM, voljeep said:

book now

refundable deposit

pick desired cabin

watch prices closely

re-fare as needed price drops

So do you just call Princess and say that you noticed the price dropped and you want a re-fare?  Is it only before final payment?  I’ve never re-priced a cruise so I appreciate any insights.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 7:06 AM, voljeep said:

book now

refundable deposit

pick desired cabin

watch prices closely

re-fare as needed price drops

Exactly. I booked Quebec -> Florida Wednesday to get the room that is better than a mini-suite to me, a solo. I really like that 'not really obstructed' balcony so as soon as @Coral posted and @PacnGoNow got it to me in a format I could open, I sent my CVP an email to get that room with a refundable deposit. I will refare or rebook before the 90 day final payment date ....

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, PacnGoNow said:

• Like 1

Just now, camper49 said:

My concern with canceling before final payment, is that we will be out the amount of our insurance as we have to purchase after booking in order to be covered for pre existing conditions. Unless there’s a way around that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camper49 said:

My concern with canceling before final payment, is that we will be out the amount of our insurance as we have to purchase after booking in order to be covered for pre existing conditions. Unless there’s a way around that? 

The way I read the above, is suggesting that insurance must be ordered and paid at time of booking to cover pre-existing conditions a guest has at the time of booking.  I don't think this is correct. 

Don't some folks buy the insurance right away so in case something new happens between booking and sailing, they are covered for that "new existing" condition, which could be called "pre-existing" in the future, relative to the sail date.  I.E. something new comes up between Booking Date and Sail Date that doesn't prevent guest from sailing, but if there is a medical issue related to that "new thing", then they are covered if the insurance was in place before that "new thing" appeared.

Perhaps what I have written is what you intended, but it didn't read that way to me at least.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, camper49 said:

I believe I was told that to be covered for pre existing conditions, we would need to purchase the insurance within 10 days of deposit. 

Definitions section of policy:

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your Certificate for which You, Your Traveling Companion, or a Family Member booked to travel with You: 1) exhibited symptoms that would have caused a typical person to seek care or treatment; or 2) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 3) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (3) of this definition does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date of Your Certificate.

And then this: 

LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS

The following exclusions apply to: Trip Interruption, Trip Delay, Accident and Sickness Medical Expense: Loss caused by or resulting from:

1.Pre-Existing Conditions, as defined in the Definitions section;

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, camper49 said:

If you purchased and paid for Princess Vacation Protection (in order to establish the date for the pre-existing condition look back) and then you cancel before final payment, Princess will refund the premium in full, even if you have a non-refundable deposit. This is one advantage of Princess Vacation Protection over many third-party policies.

The following policy on refunds is stated in the FAQ under the description of Princess Vacation Protection:

Q: What if I want to cancel my PVP coverage? How does that work?
A: PVP is refundable until final payment is due. For new bookings made within final payment, the PVP plan cost is only refundable within 10 days of purchase provided the person hasn't departed on the trip nor filed a claim.