richwmn

Today is National Golf Day, National Frappe Day, and World Animal Day

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.--Edgar Allan Poe

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage
Drink of the Day - Roku Gin Sonic
Wine of the Day - Diosares Rioja Crianza
Destination of the Day - Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France Riviera

Today in History:
1883 The Orient Express departs on its first official journey from Paris to Istanbul
1582 Last Julian calendar day in Spain, Portugal and pontifical states. To sync to the Gregorian calendar, 10 days are skipped and the next date is Oct 15.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 10-06

Nieuw Statendam

Mykonos, Greece 0700-2000

Noordam

San Francisco, California 1100-2300

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece 0700-1700

Rotterdam

Kiel, Germany 0700-1700

Volendam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii eta 10-08

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan eta 10-12

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Port Canaveral, Florida eta 10-06

Zuiderdam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0800-1600

1004World.thumb.jpg.ac6d6ed7e108d13cafbe129e2b0717ec.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 16

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized with pneumonia and afib

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, on vent

1Angelcat’s friend Stephanie with leg fractures, post-surgery

Cruising-along’s friend Rhonda with kidney stones/abcess & new DM dx

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with bronchitis

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine

From the Rotation:

Haljo1935 sees Orthopedic surgeon today

Smitty34877 grieving the loss of her DD DH Lou and caring for Tana

Quartzsite cruiser’s DH Steve’s post-shunt placement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 42nd Anniversary Cruzin Terri and Jim!

Happy Birthday JazzyV (Vanessa/me)!

0106 and St Pete Cruiser flying to Amsterdam today – safe travels!

Welcome to the Daily luvtoride and Durango Sandy

Smitty34877 finding a new aide

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Kazu (Rotterdam Oct 7 to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn)

3 days for 0106 (Rotterdam Oct 7 to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn)

3 days for St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam Oct 7 to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn)

4 days for WannaSea (Eurodam Oct 8 to Oct 12, Pacific Coastal Cruise)

4 days for Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam Oct 8 to Oct 28, Panama Canal)

Vmax1700 (Rotterdam to Oct 7, Jewels of the Baltic), WannaSea (Koningsdam to Oct 7, AK Inside Passage), Mr. Boston (Oosterdam to Oct 8, Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities), Nickelpenny (Noordam to Oct 8, Wine Country & PNW), Ichiban Nekko (Zuiderdam to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast),  Cruzn single (Zuiderdam to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast), Rafinmd (Queen Mary 2/Crystal Serenity to Oct 13, NE, CA/Quebec City to NY), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific) 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Wow, the smoke smog yesterday was bad, and is still there this morning.  It is the smoke from the Canadian fires.  Prayers for those involved.

Roku Gin Sonic cocktail:

Ingredients

1 part
Suntory Roku® Gin
1 ½ parts Chilled
Soda Water
1 ½ parts Chilled
Tonic Water
Garnish:
Lemon Peel

Instructions

Fill a highball glass to the brim with ice.
Add Roku® Gin and equal parts soda and tonic water. 
Stir and garnish with a lemon peel.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 6.44.59 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today's daily reports.

We were at church this morning then got a Starbucks ham and cheese toastie and toasted fruit loaf and coffee and took them to the beach.

National golf day comes a few days after our European team won the Ryder cup.

My arthritis stopped me playing golf several years ago and I miss playing a lot.

World animal day is important.

Interesting quote and meal of the day.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20231004_111953.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  I'm having a nice 57F morning and will experience sunny skies and 83F later today.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report for Wednesday, Oct. 4.  First I want to wish Vanessa @JazzyV a very happy birthday!  And to Terri @Cruzin Terri and Jim happy anniversary today!  I wish many more for you all!

For our golfers, enjoy National Golf Day!  I should put a banner on my deck wishing that to everyone passing by down on the golf cart path below us.  I hope the frappe lovers have a great frappe day.  World Animal Day sounds like a worthy cause.  The quote is quite poetic but I haven't figured it all out yet.  The creamy tortellini soup with sausage sounds like something DH would like so I should show him the recipes later.  No thanks to the Roku Gin Sonic or the rioja wine.  Interesting facts about this date in history regarding the 1883 Orient Express and the change in calendars back in 1582. No birthdays that year between Oct. 5th and 15th, eh?  Thanks to the Food & Beverage ladies Debbie @dfish,  Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard

Prayers for our Daily group included on the Care list (or not mentioned but needed anyway).  Hoping Steve and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser are resting well and Steve is feeling much better.  Wishing for pain free days for Vanessa.  Hoping for good news about Melisa's @HAL Sailer's DH.  First prayers today went to Scott in Arizona and Susan's DB Mark, as well as my own DB.

Cheers to those on the Celebration list and our cruisers, present and future!  Fingers crossed that Jacqui @kazu has safely arrived at her destination and has a wonderful pre-cruise stay.  Sending good wishes to all celebrating happy events.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the Care and Celebration list.

Our port of the day is Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France, a first timer here.  Therefore I have no links today.  On a cruise in October, 2013 on Royal Princess we stopped in Cannes and took a tour which included a look at Nice.  Villefranche-sur-Mer is only a few kilometers from Nice so I think I can safely add some photos today. I'll get on that when I finish this post. 

Hoping everyone has a great day today.  Stay safe and please stay well!

• Like 32

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Report.

Bertie is ready for his walk, but it's still dark out so he'll have to wait.

It's supposed to be another summer day, a high of 28C (82F).  Wow!

A nice collection of days.  There will be a lot of golfers who think everyday is Golf Day.  A frappe would be nice.  Animals are important.

Interesting quote.

Not sure about the meal, but the drink sounds good, hope the wine is too.

Nice would be a nice place to visit.

Prayers for everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

In October, 2013 we were excited to be sailing on the Maiden Transatlantic voyage of the new Royal Princess.  We began in Venice and proceeded to visit lovely Mediterranean ports.  When we arrived in Cannes, we took a tour of St. Paul de Vence which was absolutely charming.  It’s a medieval village on the French Riviera.  We had a lovely time there, then they bused us to Nice for a little look-see.  Unfortunately it was rather cloudy that day.  It would have been extra beautiful with sunny skies.  These two photos were taken through the bus windows.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

In Nice they let us board an open air tram and drove us around to cover more ground.

The opera house of Nice

Compare our tram to this modern train

We went up to an overlook for a short break from the tram.  Again, way too cloudy but at least it wasn’t raining.

Heading back to our bus we saw the beach…

And this flag display including the U.S., French, European Union, and Nice flags.

Nice was fine but we really enjoyed St. Paul de Vence!🤗

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports.

We were at church this morning then got a Starbucks ham and cheese toastie and toasted fruit loaf and coffee and took them to the beach.

National golf day comes a few days after our European team won the Ryder cup.

My arthritis stopped me playing golf several years ago and I miss playing a lot.

World animal day is important.

Interesting quote and meal of the day.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20231004_111953.jpg

OK, you keep this up and I will not be impressed anymore, well maybe not! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 16

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

National Golf Day. I guess this is my day since I been trying to play golf for over 63-1/4 years!

The Edgar verse, All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. Me and my Bubba Lee!

• Like 19
  • Haha 5

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich. Vanessa (and Happy Birthday), Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Happy Anniversary @Cruzin Terri.  Welcome aboard @Smmessineo.  I assume World Animal Day includes both wild and beloved pets.  I'll pass on the other 2 days. 

I have not been to Villlafranche.  I like the quote from Baltimore's Native Son.  I wish I could have ridden the Orient Express.

Docked now in Saguenay, my only maiden call of the trip.

Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Cantaloupe Soup, Chateaubriand, and Baked Alaska as served in QM2's Princess Grill last night.

RRdishes03.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Yesterday was lovely except for the hazy smoke. Can you believe the smoke from Canada’s wildfires reached me!  Edited to add that I just saw Dixie’s post! The smoke reached even as far South as her! Today too. Some high pressure system moved the smoke in a Southwesterly direction, then our local weather pattern brought it down to Earth & and here it is. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping track of us! May your pain grow less & may you have one heck of a Happy Birthday!

IMG_1803.jpeg.bf7a1bb4f95b7aa38f0301fa89b608df.jpeg

IMG_1805.jpeg.908dee21df617216346d4de72d473dbb.jpeg

IMG_1802.jpeg.9eba44d2b304350543224eb553d3b442.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & support teams! Thank you for sharing the picture of you at “The Gahden”! Very special. ❤️

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, hope Steve continues to improve & you both catch up on your rest. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Diosares Ares Rioja Crianza

This Rioja/Tempranillo sounds lovely. Consumers really enjoy it, and I even found one critic who reviewed it. Fairly easy to find with a decent price. Online prices start at $14.99.

Critic’s review

Natalie's Score: 91/100

Dios Ares Crianza 2018 Tempranillo is great value at $20. The grapes for this vintage were sourced from the Sonsierra, and this is a different style of wine from the winery's more traditional Tempranillo -- very fruity with bright plum, blackberry, dark cherry, spicy and vibrant on the palate. The wine was matured in French oak barrels for 12 months. A very approachable fresh and food-friendly Crianza to drink now.

Crianza food pairings: braised beef dishes, turkey, roast pork, lamb.

Terrific Turkey Wine

This Dios Ares Crianza 2018 was reviewed on June 24, 2023 by Natalie MacLean

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

Good morning! Always a challenge to post right after our resident Red Neck.

First things first. @JazzyVVanessa Happy Birthday and thank for your loyal contributions to the Daily.

@Cruzin Terri Happy Anniversary.

@Kazu Jacqui I do hope your travels went well.

Our baths are coming along though we added to the workload by removing the existing large mirrors and we also will be removing the old lights that were over the mirrors.

Received our flu shots yesterday and so far not even a sore arm. 
Today our house cleaner arrives and one side of house will be off limits due to bath projects. Maybe she can find a special project to compensate. Yesterday pest control today semi annual AC/Heat service and checkup. Lot’s going on this week. It will probably remain so as we prepare for the big cruise. Taxes, mail, meds, car re-registration. All things that would be done next year we need to do before we leave.

Beautiful morning for a walk as it’s currently 68 degrees. Future forecast call for some lows in high fifties this coming weekend.

Thanks Rich and to all who make the Daily a morning habit. Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.c0c5124029c208c7094ed19b27ca0035.jpegimage.jpeg.83ba03c71882b02107f9b3b4b189eebc.jpegimage.jpeg.38ba7b68ebbaf42a56de71f0758ba30d.jpegimage.jpeg.58cc54877b62c81af5d2b0c2739d2b5e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c41883f05c0fd9042eba5365223800e0.jpegimage.jpeg.d7db529b65f6266b324cbeee0dc18b06.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 26