The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 10th, 2023

richwmn

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute Ada Lovelace. I'll face some fears, but not today. Working in healthcare, I'm used to using metric for some things. And in baking, ingredient measures in grams and ml is much more accurate. The quote sounds typical for Chandler's style of detective fiction. It's also World Mental Health Day. I like the meal, pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I have been to Wellington, on my first HAL cruise in 2006; I mainly toured LOTR sites. 2 notable days in history, one very sad.

Very late today. It's only 60 out, but partly sunny, which helps. I got a few things done this morning, then was preparing to leave for PT when I got a call from the pain medicine office. They had a cancellation and wanted to see if I could come in tomorrow, instead of Nov 16. Of course I said yes! I'm glad as for the last week, in addition to the leg pain, the leg frequently feels tingly and numb, like when your arm falls asleep. That's been freaking me out a bit. So I'll see what they say, whether they want a new MRI or if they think epidural steroids will help. Then I went to PT and got a good workout in, and stopped at Aldi before coming home. Now I'm tired and hungry.

@grapau27 Your meals have been looking very good. And thanks for the info on Ada Lovelace.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely pictures from Wellington, as I didn't get to see much of the city. Continued prayers for Scott, and Susan's and your DBs. My arm is still sore from Saturday's RSV shot.

@cruising sister I'm glad your asthma is improving. Sad to hear that Murphy isn't showing improvement; prayers for her and the family.

@smitty34877 Good news that the aide seems to be working out. 

@rafinmd Nice sunrise. And your meals have been nice to see too.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear of all the issues. Lately I've been getting those "USPS" texts about my address being wrong, when I know there's nothing coming, and just delete as scams. Deep breaths, you'll get through everything.

@Heartgrove Thanks for the book recommendation.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry your sleep is unrestful; I can relate. You have so much going on - hugs.

@kazu I hope you're having a blast on your cruise! 

@sailingdutchy Great Wellington photos.

@Cruising-along I hope Rhonda gets better and able to be discharged soon. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I'll salute Ada Lovelace. I'll face some fears, but not today. Working in healthcare, I'm used to using metric for some things. And in baking, ingredient measures in grams and ml is much more accurate. The quote sounds typical for Chandler's style of detective fiction. It's also World Mental Health Day. I like the meal, pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I have been to Wellington, on my first HAL cruise in 2006; I mainly toured LOTR sites. 2 notable days in history, one very sad.

Very late today. It's only 60 out, but partly sunny, which helps. I got a few things done this morning, then was preparing to leave for PT when I got a call from the pain medicine office. They had a cancellation and wanted to see if I could come in tomorrow, instead of Nov 16. Of course I said yes! I'm glad as for the last week, in addition to the leg pain, the leg frequently feels tingly and numb, like when your arm falls asleep. That's been freaking me out a bit. So I'll see what they say, whether they want a new MRI or if they think epidural steroids will help. Then I went to PT and got a good workout in, and stopped at Aldi before coming home. Now I'm tired and hungry.

@grapau27 Your meals have been looking very good. And thanks for the info on Ada Lovelace.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely pictures from Wellington, as I didn't get to see much of the city. Continued prayers for Scott, and Susan's and your DBs. My arm is still sore from Saturday's RSV shot.

@cruising sister I'm glad your asthma is improving. Sad to hear that Murphy isn't showing improvement; prayers for her and the family.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear of all the issues. Lately I've been getting those "USPS" texts about my address being wrong, when I know there's nothing coming, and just delete as scams. Deep breaths, you'll get through everything.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry your sleep is unrestful; I can relate. You have so much going on - hugs.

Thank you Terri.

Dinner tonight.

IMG_20231010_175054.jpg

IMG_20231010_175115.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

All 3 of the days are important. Interesting one is facing fears when the quote includes a tarantula - definitely a fear I have no interest in facing - ick!

Don't understand the quote; would enjoy the meal & drink; have not been to NZ 

The history days are both important.

81° headed to 88° on Thurs; glad to see forecasts under 90°.

Shoulder is very sore w/a diff type of pain. No idea why, have not done anything differently; maybe Chiro can provide insight and hopefully relief when I see her tomorrow. 

Booked another tour for our upcoming Rome cruise (Oct 29) and sent a couple inquiries for the other one (Nov 26). Need to get them locked down. I don't mind "winging it" on more local cruises, but ones that are so far away. I think I have FOMO.

I bought tickets for the Fast attack at FCO and our bus transfers FCO to hotel & back; now just need cruise terminal transportation. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

Screenshot_20231010-180254_Weather.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, marshhawk said:

...So this morning we got up early, and we tried to complete our passport info for the flight to Italy, and for the life of us, and I mean both of us, we could not figure out how to complete the forms.  We submitted the Passport info, but they wanted more info, and there was no way to close the page....

Hey @marshhawk what info for Italy flight are you trying to compete and where are you trying to enter it?

I have a flight to Rome later this month and another late next month, both for cruises out of Rome, and didn't know there was anything special we need to do.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

A pound is 500 grams in the metric system so much easier than all these strange measurements measurements that you are using , how many feet in a mile , you say ?

The temperature of freezing water and boiling water ? 

There are only 2 countries in the world the USA and Liberia that have this odd system , plus a few minuscule little Islands .

Canada has almost changed completely since the 70's that our PM Mr Trudeau enacted , it is because of our dear neighbours to the South that we are still talking about 2 by 4 's 

Hope I did not start a war here now .......

Tony 😁

Have it your way but I refuse to pay the price of 500 grams for what is really only 454. It is too late for me to edit or delete my post but I will flag it for a moderator to remove if it bothers you that much.

• Like 2

It;s a pleasant spring day.

Thanks for the HAL Fleet locations and the daily information.

We have been to Wellington several times, many years ago, I lived there for a year while doing a Post Graduate course.

@marshhawk  hope all these problems will be quickly solved.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Have it your way but I refuse to pay the price of 500 grams for what is really only 454. It is too late for me to edit or delete my post but I will flag it for a moderator to remove if it bothers you that much.

There is no reason whatsoever to edit or delete your post @kochleffel nothing bad has been spoken here today I am just talking about the advantages and ease of the metric system what for instance @JazzyV very nicely showed us how much more accurate the "decimal " metric system is 

I was only trying to say , and maybe in an awkward way , that the Imperial system is only used in a couple of countries anymore , the US being one . Even the English are slowly converting to the metric system , specially in industrie and commerce , with Imperial units still widespread being used among the public , it might take another generation before it is fully accepted .

BTW it still is nice to see when I drive in Maine to our daughters place on Mount Desert Island that the road signs show Miles and also Kilometres , 

( a kilometre is 1000 metres  and 1 metre is 100 centimetre .  Just like a Dollar is 100 cents )

Tony 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Good evening.  Today did go as planned, but what else is new?  After two very busy and tiring days, I just didn't feel like yard work.  It can wait another day or two. Instead, I got a few small chores done.

As expected, the convertible wasn't ready this afternoon.  DH had suspected there was a bad motor mount.  After replacing the other front CV joint, they found a bad motor mount.   They got the part today, and promise it will be ready by 10 am in the morning.  If not, our wonderful neighbors are letting us borrow one of their cars.  Either way, we'll get to the final appointment with the spine surgeon.  It is appropriately on the one year anniversary of DH's first spine surgery.  Then we'll head to UTSW for the first post op visit.  He will get the 16 staples removed from his scalp.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa, I'm happy you could an appointment with the pain management doctors for tomorrow.  I hope they can help

with the pain.

I know I missed a lot I wanted to comment on. It's been a long day, and tomorrow will be longer.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Paul, we may officially be metric, sell our gas by the litre, measure our speed in Kilometers per hour and our distance in Kilometers, when it comes to food we are still all over the map. The 19oz can of chickpeas you pick up in the grocery store is 540 ml here. Manufacturers are not using two sizes of cans so we get useful numbers, like 500 ml so you can do the costing math in your head. They use the same cans and just put metric measures on them. Everything is weird sizes. And we still see price per pound on the signs at the store. A roast will be labeled in kg and priced as $per kg on the wrapping but the sign on the bunker will say $ per pound. Our weather forecasters give us temps in Celsius and rain in millimeters but in the next breathe mention Fahrenheit and inches. So officially we are metric but in reality we are a jumble. 

• Like 5

@Haljo1935 Flying Delta-we get to the part where they want your passport information, OK, then the part about the Visa, that we dont need, then the part about where we are going how long we are staying, when we are leaving and how are we leaving, and we fill in all the info and it just sits there, tells us to high light the https info to our email, i did and when I go there to that address, it says nothing is there.  After 30 minutes DH and I threw our hands in the air...and gave up.  What ship are you on, I'll wave if I see you! We are on the Pride, and we are in port on the 18th,. and the 28th.  After the 28th we are in Spain, the Portugal, the Azores and then 5 days at sea, then Grand Turk, then Tampa on Nov 12th..

After the chat person at the bank told DH that they will not mail to the bank for less than 1k, Chuck stopped up there today, and his money was there. Phew. Two more sleeps....

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@Haljo1935 Flying Delta-we get to the part where they want your passport information, OK, then the part about the Visa, that we dont need, then the part about where we are going how long we are staying, when we are leaving and how are we leaving, and we fill in all the info and it just sits there, tells us to high light the https info to our email, i did and when I go there to that address, it says nothing is there.  After 30 minutes DH and I threw our hands in the air...and gave up.  What ship are you on, I'll wave if I see you! We are on the Pride, and we are in port on the 18th,. and the 28th.  After the 28th we are in Spain, the Portugal, the Azores and then 5 days at sea, then Grand Turk, then Tampa on Nov 12th..

After the chat person at the bank told DH that they will not mail to the bank for less than 1k, Chuck stopped up there today, and his money was there. Phew. Two more sleeps....

We are on HAL Niuew Statendam we are in port Oct 29, Nov 9 and Nov 26. We're in the Azores Sun Dec then head to FLL. I would love to spend a day in Turks - it is so pretty. 

Since our credit union says they will not provide euros, we'll be using the ATM at the airport.

We did have to fill in any info for American Airlines, but they already have my passport details in my profiles. I will call them to see if there's anything we need to do.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3