CocoCay, More, Less, or Just Right?

Ret MP

I was just at CocoCay a few days ago, my second trip to the island.  We have another visit next year when we sail Icon.  I am NOT a lay around at the beach type of person, I would be bored out of my skull in 7 seconds flat.  

First visit - we rented a South Beach cabana - It was nice, having an attendant helped and the ceiling fan in the cabana was also beneficial.  

Second visit - Coco Beach Club - Kind of a "one and done".  The lobster was okay, but the filet was like a boot (medium rare).  We were on Oasis and docked with Indy.  I'm I the only one who has noticed that they let the smaller ship dock first and they get all the prime locations, while all of us on the larger ship paid more for everything and we get the leftovers?

Third visit - we have rented a Hideout Cabana - the cost was ridiculous, but it is a family trip. 

Fourth visit and beyond - probably stay on the ship.

They could get more money out of me if they would create some sort of comfy space with air conditioning.  

On 10/11/2023 at 10:53 PM, Ret MP said:

I'm in the Camp that doesn't care for CocoCay.  However, I'm fully aware that there are many folks that absolutely love it there and wouldn't have a problem with every East Coast and Gulf port itinerary include CocoCay in their itinerary.  I'm not advocating for anything other than having more itineraries that include the likes and dislikes of almost everyone.  Yes, I know it's impossible to please everyone. But, I know that there is a significant number of folks who have expressed their dislike of CocoCay and/or preference for other Ports of Call, on this site and others.  

In fact, I don't care for the Bahamas in any way, shape, or form, for many personal reasons.  But, CocoCay isn't for me because I'm not a beach, pool, or Cabana person.  

This is intended to be a discussion, this is a discussion site, after all.  There is no intent to be a personal attack on anyone. 

What stops would you like to see added on ships sailing out of Florida? Central/South America? I agree re a lack of options when sailing out of FL/TX.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:13 PM, mark290 said:

I like coco cay a lot. A beach is a beach and this one is easy walking distance, has amenities or areas with just a chair, drink package and food included. A cheap, easy access beach that doesn’t cost extra is pretty cool once you’ve been to all the islands.

I don't agree that a beach is a beach -- some have nicer sand, while others are rocky.  Some are cleaner.  Some are more /less crowded.  And amenities aren't equal.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Coco Cay has the right mixture of the beach + convenient amenities.  

Having said that I do not like to go in the winter. The water will be cold and the air can be cold. I also won’t like it when they no longer allow the drink package. Just my opinion but that is coming.

I went last December.  Early December.  We were among the first off the ship, and it was just a touch chilly first thing in the morning, then just comfortable mid-morning.  The water was chilly upon entry but quickly felt warm.  I have purchased a long-sleeved rash guard, and I think I'll enjoy it.  

I don't see why they'd disallow the drink package on their private island; I think that'd hurt their sales.  

On 10/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, Ret MP said:

I may go ashore for a few minutes in search of that wonderful food that many talk about.  On my one successful visit (weather prevented docking on one other cruise) to the island, I was underwhelmed by the food.  

Coco Cay's food is quite good, but I think it's over-hyped (on these boards) and that raises people's expectations too high.  It's a really good beach lunch, but it's not going to be the best thing you've ever had.  

On 10/12/2023 at 6:03 AM, sddsddean said:

Surely if you want to go to a beach, it must be cheaper to just go to a hotel/resort with a beach rather than a cruise!

No, renting a house on the beach is one type of vacation:  extended family, grilling big meals every night, board game evenings.  Such a vacation may or may not be cheaper than a cruise, depending upon what beach you choose, what time of year you go, and how nice a house you rent.  

A cruise is a whole different vacation, even if a beach stop makes up a bit of that vacation -- probably 4-6 hours.  

I definitely enjoy a beach day, but one (in a one-week cruise) is "just right" for me.  I like to plan a variety of activities for my shore days.  

On 10/12/2023 at 7:43 AM, vswan said:

I like beach days. To me, it's an easy off and on which includes a free lounge chair, beautiful view, food, sometimes a nice walk, etc. I don't pay for any of the extras and am amazed at the prices I'm currently seeing for them - but if they can get the prices, more power to them. For me, at some of the other stops I struggle with whether I should go to the beach and miss seeing something else on the island. At a private island I can just enjoy the beach.

Agree!  Easy on /easy off is a big part of what we like.  My husband enjoys the beach for a couple hours, while I'll stay longer.  On an island -- say, Aruba or Bonaire -- where we need transportation to and from the beach, we won't split up.  So I end up leaving earlier than I want, and he feels bad about it.  But when the ship is docked at a private island, he leaves when he wants.  

Also, we like getting off early, claiming a front-row seat -- and paying nothing.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 6:03 AM, sddsddean said:

I don't think this view applies just to CocoCay. On so many ports the excursions sold are "transfer to XYZ beach" or "...3 hrs free time at beach" or similar. Surely if you want to go to a beach, it must be cheaper to just go to a hotel/resort with a beach rather than a cruise! I don't like beaches either...would much rather be wandering round a town or something, but it gets me how many people just want to go to the beach...just seems odd to me!

Simon

Just go to a hotel/resort at a beach.   Hmmm...and yet here it is...a cruise forum.  

My "hotel/resort" travels from port to port...unpack once.  😉 

On 10/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, Ret MP said:

I was underwhelmed by the food.  

Can't disagree.  The free buffets are just extensions of what the Windjammer would have.  DW loves the lobster lunch at the Beach Club, but I keep pointing out that she's paying $270 for the privilege and she balks at any entree priced over $40 at a land restaurant.😒

• Like 1

Just came back from a cruise that included Coco Cay.  I always enjoy a private island.

Particularly, on a heavy port itinery.  Its relaxing.  clean,  just a great beach day with out panhandlers.

On Coco Cay.  we went to south beach and it was quiet.   Even with two ships in port we had water front loungers with umbrella.  We swam, laid out to dry off,  Did the nature trail,  and lunch at snack shack.  Burger, fries and a strawberry kiwi juice.  I found it to be very enjoyable,  and hope to return someday.  Cost Zero.

• Like 2

I loved the Beach Club.  I found the food good but too heavy for a beach day. My husband and I skipped dinner on the ship since we were still full. What I enjoyed was the quiet, infinity pool, shaded comfy lounge chairs and early morning coffee with pastries. It felt like a private resort. Since they limit the number of people it was never very busy I would  reserve again if the price was right.  I’m going on Symphony October 2024 and the price for the club is too expensive for me.  I decided to reserve a beach bed since we will be there with Allure and Symphony arrives second.  When I booked the cruise we were the only ship scheduled.  The priced has already doubled for a beach bed.

I'm not a beach person but I still really like Coco Cay. I go early afternoon when some people are starting to return already, get a lounger for a couple of hours, have a nice drink, and a lunch at the snack shack. I walk around a bit, may sit near the pool for a little while. It's great because you can go back to the ship whenever you want. you don't have to lug beach stuff around, bathrooms are right there, etc. Beautiful spot.

• Like 2

I enjoy stops at Coco Cay (and Labadee for that matter) because I really enjoy beach time ... for about 20 minutes. 😉 I would never consider a "beach break" excursion at any other port, since it means paying a substantial sum to be stuck somewhere I don't really want to be after the first half hour.  Private islands, however, are entirely within my control. I tend to spend more time on Coco Cay simply because the food is substantially better (IMHO) than on Labadee, so I don't feel like I need to return to the ship just to eat. But either way, I love to wade in knee-deep for a few minutes, then relax on a lounger until I'm dry, then I'm ready to move on to something else. So for me, the private islands do a perfect job of scratching that beach time itch. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 11:01 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

- I am concerned about Royal adding more and more for-cost items on Coco Cay /leaving less space for people who just want a lounger at one of the free beaches.  

I don't understand this comment... the Water Park isn't in a beach area, and the new adults-only beach that is being added wasn't a guest-accessible area prior to its construction. 

I guess you could say that the Beach Club took space away between Breezy Bay and South Beach, but it's such a miniscule amount of beach out of all the available beach areas (maybe a tenth of the available beaches), it hardly matters.

So how exactly is there less space for everyone else???

On 10/12/2023 at 2:05 PM, Ret MP said:

I've been to Labadee a few times and I don't remember the food being either great or bad, just okay.  But, port days isn't a search for the perfect dish for us, that's not saying that it is for you or others.  I don't trust, for the most part, 3rd world food anyway.  Yes, I know that CocoCay and Labadee have food taken from the ship and mostly prepared and served by the ship's crew.  So, when we do get off of the ship in places other than CocoCay or Labadee, we shy away from the local cuisine, especially the little shacks, trailers, less-than-permanent-looking venues, or venues that don't have refrigeration but just ice coolers.   We have no idea what their food safety, preparation, storage, and service standards are.

Yes, I was thinking of you and a few others when I said that there are those who love CocoCay.  That's your choice and I respect that.  

Strange what you say about food in other countries when American food is such crap….filled with hormones, antibiotics, high fructose corn syrup, etc. When I spend a month in Greece, or pretty much any other country besides the US, I actually lose weight since the food is more natural.

That being said, I don’t think Coco Cay is much better if stocked by Royal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

I don't understand this comment... the Water Park isn't in a beach area, and the new adults-only beach that is being added wasn't a guest-accessible area prior to its construction. 

I guess you could say that the Beach Club took space away between Breezy Bay and South Beach, but it's such a miniscule amount of beach out of all the available beach areas (maybe a tenth of the available beaches), it hardly matters.

So how exactly is there less space for everyone else???

Royal is adding more for-cost cabanas at the established beaches. 

Those cabanas reduce the amount of "free beach".  

Not a great place for me, because I have a bird phobia.

When I was last there, people kept abandoning their lunch on loungers at the beach.  If it was food that they had paid for, they would eat it, but since it's free, this happens all over the place there.  I have also had birds swoop at my plate while I am at the buffet.  It's just too stressful.

I also won’t like it when they no longer allow the drink package. Just my opinion but that is coming.

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

When exactly is that going to be?  Do you know something the rest of us don't?

I would think I know something the rest of you don't. What type of computer am I using, where did I go to college, what number am I thinking of...?

As far as the drink package not being allowed at private islands by RCL, I don't know anything the rest of you don't.

Royal has shown all additional forms of revenue are up for consideration. Many cruise lines do not honor the drink package on their private islands. It is my opinion Royal will do the same and not honor the drink package at their private islands in the near future. That is just my opinion, guess or prediction. 

They developed these private islands so they get all or most of the revenue from their port stops.

I hope I am wrong.

9 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Strange what you say about food in other countries when American food is such crap….filled with hormones, antibiotics, high fructose corn syrup, etc. When I spend a month in Greece, or pretty much any other country besides the US, I actually lose weight since the food is more natural.

That being said, I don’t think Coco Cay is much better if stocked by Royal. 

Greece is a third world country?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, mark290 said:

I would think I know something the rest of you don't. What type of computer am I using, where did I go to college, what number am I thinking of...?

As far as the drink package not being allowed at private islands by RCL, I don't know anything the rest of you don't.

Royal has shown all additional forms of revenue are up for consideration. Many cruise lines do not honor the drink package on their private islands. It is my opinion Royal will do the same and not honor the drink package at their private islands in the near future. That is just my opinion, guess or prediction. 

They developed these private islands so they get all or most of the revenue from their port stops.

I hope I am wrong.

The number 8 🎱 

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Greece is a third world country?

Lol no not what I meant…just that any other country besides the US tends to have healthier food when you factor in the chemicals and other additives. It’s a big part the obesity problem in our country. 

• Haha 1

Having stopped in Coco cay on both of my cruises in the past 9 months, I'm good with not going again. Or at least not for a while. I am a pasty white ginger who could care less about sitting on a beach or frying in the sun. I'm actually a huge fan of the Ocean...when it's slightly overcast, lol.  I enjoyed Coco cay, for a few hours. I have a kid, and even he was over coco cay after a few hours each time. We don't do slides, the pool is full of partying adults, so last time it was jump in the ocean on each of the two main beaches, with lunch in between and back on the ship within 3 hours. So we got the best of both worlds, a little ocean and good food, then an empty ship for a few hours!    

I have been to CoCo Cay twice.  The first time was with a group of friends.  I rented an Oasis Lagoon cabana for us and had the hardest time getting them out of the pool to use the cabana.  We loved our attendant, who brought us all sorts of great food from the Snack Shack.  However, my friends did not bring any cash for tipping the attendant (leaving it all up to me).   Lesson:  cabanas are good for those who appreciate them, not for ladies who want to party at the swim up bar. 

Second visit:  CoCo Beach Club.  We were with a different group of friends who genuinely appreciated the amenities of the Club.  The lunch was AMAZING!  However, it's a one and done type of experience for me.  The tram going around the island is always packed.   The current pricing for cabanas and the Beach Club are out of our budget.  Being Floridians, beaches and pools are no big draw for us.  

Plus, we will enjoy having an Oasis Class ship to ourselves for the day! 

this will be the first time I will be at Coco Cay and I am really looking forward to it... I do live in Florida and have the beach and pool but I expect this to be a different type of beach...We may only stay there a short while but I just don't want to miss it. We don't have the drink package but do have the refresher package so I am guessing we can have water or soda. Is the walk far from the ship?