The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 14th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting that we are discussing Medicare today.  Went to the monthly DAV meeting this morning and heard a presentation about something called AARP Medicare Advantage Patriot (PPO) from United Healthcare.  You don't have to be an AARP member and United Healthcare is just one of the insurance companies offering this.  This is called a Medicare Advantage plan and its cost is zero monthly premium.  It is appropriate for those who already have Medicare parts A and B and also have something like Tricare for Life which most retired military have.

She mentioned that after free enrollment, our monthly Medicare Part B premium will go from $164.90 to $69.90 for both me and my DW, we will receive $2K per year for comprehensive dental services and $400 per year for over the counter medications, like vitamins.

I had never heard of this, but the retired Marine next to me said he has been using it and it worked fine for him.  I plan to meet with this sales agent next week and see about signing up for this.

I also talked to one of the DAV people about getting the VA to pay my dental costs based on my disability.  He said he went through the same thing and you just have to be persistent and expect it to take some time to get it started.

Ray

Ray, DH is checking into this now.  He's found that our doctor's clinic and our lab are "out of network". 😞  Not sure I want to change doctors at this stage...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Glad you reminded Annie about the gelato.  Can't go to Italy and not have any.  I'm glad they made it safely, and I hope they enjoy their time in Rome, and their cruise.

Lenda

We had gelato for dinner one evening in Rome when we weren’t very hungry.  Highly recommended!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Besides viewing it through the telescope, we went out to see the peek with our solar glasses.  This is DH's picture of the peek of the eclipse.  He has a lot of pictures taken over the entire event.

solareclipse10-14-23.thumb.jpg.bbbbf4949130cd3349d2bd00a3dfaae2.jpg

what a great photo, @Quartzsite Cruiser !  Thanks so much for sharing!

Your photo looks like the view we had in our area, but had no way of getting a photo. I think we were in the 85 % zone.  I agree with you, it sure made our house dark inside.  

while we were out back viewing the progression of the eclipse, I saw a ring camera notification that someone was at the front door.  It was a policeman with dispatch on his radio, saying someone called 911 from our address.  He peeked in and saw … a dark house.  To make it worse, he had not removed his sunglasses 😎.     

I explained none of us called, as we were all out back watching the eclipse - and that was why it was so dark inside.  Dispatch told him the name of the person who called, and none of us knew that name.  Apparently we had been SWATted.   Policeman told dispatch call didn’t come from our house.  

We will surely remember this phenomenon (and being SWATted) for a long time.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to mention this before and I am not sure if it made the news outside of the Philadelphia area but on Thursday evening a Philadelphia police officer paid the ultimate price and was shot and killed attempting to stop a car theft at PHL . His partner was also wounded and is expected to recover. RIP Officer Richard Mendez 💔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 14

My retired minister used to say that God only created a few perfect heads and the rest he covered with hair!

A busy day today cleaning house in preparation for my hospital visit. I go to the hospital for pre-op procedures on Monday & will stay the night to prep for the 7am open heart surgery on Tuesday. My DSis will arrive on Tuesday afternoon to stay at a hotel nearby until I go home. I'm told I'll be in ICU for a day or so, then move down to the step-down unit. We'll see! I want the house to be relatively clean if Sis comes home with us!

Tomorrow is a special women's day at our church, but most of the women who would participate are all sick from a recent pastor-led (!!) trip to England & Scotland.Guess who's doing the whole thing?!! I'm actually glad I decided not to go on that trip!

Prayers raised for all on the list, and cheers for all celebrating!

Edi

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, NextOne said:

My retired minister used to say that God only created a few perfect heads and the rest he covered with hair!

A busy day today cleaning house in preparation for my hospital visit. I go to the hospital for pre-op procedures on Monday & will stay the night to prep for the 7am open heart surgery on Tuesday. My DSis will arrive on Tuesday afternoon to stay at a hotel nearby until I go home. I'm told I'll be in ICU for a day or so, then move down to the step-down unit. We'll see! I want the house to be relatively clean if Sis comes home with us!

Tomorrow is a special women's day at our church, but most of the women who would participate are all sick from a recent pastor-led (!!) trip to England & Scotland.Guess who's doing the whole thing?!! I'm actually glad I decided not to go on that trip!

Edi

Prayers for you for the upcoming surgery.  🙏🏻

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I wanted to mention this before and I am not sure if it made the news outside of the Philadelphia area but on Thursday evening a Philadelphia police officer paid the ultimate price and was shot and killed attempting to stop a car theft at PHL . His partner was also wounded and is expected to recover. RIP Officer Richard Mendez 💔

We did hear that news across the country.  Very sad and totally unnecessary as usual.  Prayers for that officer and all others wounded or killed on duty.🙏

16 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Edi, goodness, I must have missed that news somehow.  Prayers for a good result and quick recovery for you.  🙏  I'm so glad you didn't go on that church trip, too!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Thanks for well wishes.  Starting to feel a little bit better.  Haven’t started to re-test.  Feel it is a waste of time (and tests) since I am quarantined in my apartment till Monday.  I am agreeing that it was a good move for me as I don’t have to worry about any food prep, etc.

This discussion about RSV is very interesting to me.  Last February when I was in ER with horrible cough, lung issues, I was tested for COVID, Influenza A and B, RSV, and Pneumonia x-rays.  I was reassured that the docs wanted to rule out everything since I was and am a senior.  I know that right now I will not be eligible for a C-19 booster, but I intend to get the RSV shot when I am recovered.

No rest for me this afternoon.  There is a local air show with the highlight being the Blue Angels.  My apartment complex is in the flight path. The Blue Angels have been practicing for the last two days!  I love the “sounds of freedom”

have a great rest of the days.  My thoughts and prayers for all.  I am still trying to get caught on FR&D reading.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I'm glad you are beginning to feel better.  I hope your recovery continues smoothly,  and you test negative soon.  

3 hours ago, Spudd said:

Just wanted to say that if you haven't been to Pompeii before it is well worth the trip. It's an amazing thing to see.

Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily.  I hope you come back often.   I agree about Pompeii.  We were fortunate to go there in 2002 when there weren't the huge crowds.  We had the freedom to wander around and see much of the site.

2 hours ago, Smmessineo said:

Thanks to everyone who posted great photos of Victoria! I was just there last month, for the first time. What a beautiful city! I visited our daughter who lives in Port Angeles Washington. We took the ferry over for the day. As an aside, that whole area of Washington is magnificent. Little coastal towns up against the mountains and within a few hours of Victoria and Seattle. I understand why our kid loves it there.

Strength and best wishes to all those who need support . 

And thanks for the Fleet Report !

The Port Angeles area of Washington is unique.  We were lucky to spend time twice at Salt Creek Recreation Area on the coast west of Port Angeles.

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

We had gelato for dinner one evening in Rome when we weren’t very hungry.  Highly recommended!

We've been known to get gelato more than once in a day when we were in Rome.  We walked some it off too.  😁

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Edi, our best wishes for a successful surgery Tuesday and a speedy recovery.  I'm glad you didn't go on the trip.  I know you will do well leading the special women's day at church tomorrow.  

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spudd said:

Just wanted to say that if you haven't been to Pompeii before it is well worth the trip. It's an amazing thing to see.

Yes, thank you, I agree Pompeii is worth a trip; I was there a few years ago during a cruise w/sister, but DH has not been. He very much enjoys those types of places, he simply cannot abide a several-hour trip to get there 🫣

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind some meatloaf. I might also like the cocktail. For the wine, maybe Long Point Sauvignon Blanc. I have been to Victoria, but only by the car ferry from Port Angeles, around 1979. I have visited the George Eastman House (museum of photography) in Rochester.

The service officiation this morning went well, even leading some music that we haven't sung in months. I got a flu jab this afternoon, as late as possible so that if it led to fever, it wouldn't start until after the concert.

The concert was outstanding. The centerpiece was the Hummel trumpet concerto, a real virtuoso piece. Interestingly, it could only be composed because of the invention of the keyed trumpet in the nineteenth century, but keyed trumpets required difficult contortions of the player's hands and didn't produce the best sound, so now it is ordinarily played on a modern piston-valve trumpet, although the performer tonight used an E-flat trumpet instead of the standard B-flat.

The concert was given in the historic church downtown (one of several historic churches, but the only one still in use as a church). It was built for unamplified preaching--one of the Beechers was the pastor for much of the nineteenth century--and has incredibly good acoustics.

Grandmareindeer.thumb.jpg.cbc1b3f041de4ff741ff598f563545c1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, thank you, I agree Pompeii is worth a trip; I was there a few years ago during a cruise w/sister, but DH has not been. He very much enjoys those types of places, he simply cannot abide a several-hour trip to get there 🫣

When we were in Naples in 2019, you could pick up a shuttle to either Herculaneum or Pompeii in front of the terminal.  They would take you to either site and pick you up at a designated time.  You would be responsible for the entry fee, but could go at your own pace on a self guided tour.  We went to Herculaneum, and enjoyed it.  Your DH might like this option because it's not as long a day, and you're not following a guide around with a big group.

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

When we were in Naples in 2019, you could pick up a shuttle to either Herculaneum or Pompeii in front of the terminal.  They would take you to either site and pick you up at a designated time.  You would be responsible for the entry fee, but could go at your own pace on a self guided tour.  We went to Herculaneum, and enjoyed it.  Your DH might like this option because it's not as long a day, and you're not following a guide around with a big group.

Lenda

Hi, yes, he probably would enjoy that better. However, we aren't porting in Naples, we port in Salerno and have to make the trek from there. 

I know he will enjoy it and be glad he went once it's over and he's recovered from all the rest he got on the bus, lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

Edi

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts during your upcoming surgery.  Best wishes for a successful outcome and quick recovery.  

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

That's good to know!  Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hi, yes, he probably would enjoy that better. However, we aren't porting in Naples, we port in Salerno and have to make the trek from there. 

I know he will enjoy it and be glad he went once it's over and he's recovered from all the rest he got on the bus, lol.

There are trains from Salerno to Pompeii, and they take just over an hour one way.  I just Googled trains from Salerno to Pompeii.  The train goes on to Herculaneum, but Pompeii is closer to Salerno.  That might be an option.  We've taken trains in Italy with no problem.  There might be shuttles there like in Naples.  It wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Lenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts during your upcoming surgery.  Best wishes for a successful outcome and quick recovery.  

That's good to know!  Thanks!

The shuttle was easy and inexpensive. You can get the Ho-Ho near the same place, and it's a good way to see Naples.

Lenda

Lenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Very late catching up!  Love Victoria, have a good friend there.  Both my DS and DD  spent time there this summer.  @aliaschief DD too was shocked

at the drug use.

@Quartzsite Cruiser fabulous eclipse photos! 

@JazzyVi hope you start to feel better soon!

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the update on Annie!   And the great reminder about gelato, once a day is minimum. 

@Nickelpenny I too hate yolks, and then I found out they’re a good source of choline which can help fight breast cancer.  

A very interesting discussion of RSV,  appreciate @cruising sister take on things.   I’ll be doing it, after the Covid and flu booster.  I would like to spread them out.    Any thoughts on novavax?  
Our RSV is not covered and over $100 a shot,  but I’ve paid before for prevnar 13,and the high dose flu which is now covered.    I guess there’s a new Prevnar 23?  

enjoying the fall colours.  

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1015.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Very late catching up!  Love Victoria, have a good friend there.  Both my DS and DD  spent time there this summer.  @aliaschief DD too was shocked

at the drug use.

@Quartzsite Cruiser fabulous eclipse photos! 

@JazzyVi hope you start to feel better soon!

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the update on Annie!   And the great reminder about gelato, once a day is minimum. 

@Nickelpenny I too hate yolks, and then I found out they’re a good source of choline which can help fight breast cancer.  

A very interesting discussion of RSV,  appreciate @cruising sister take on things.   I’ll be doing it, after the Covid and flu booster.  I would like to spread them out.    Any thoughts on novavax?  
Our RSV is not covered and over $100 a shot,  but I’ve paid before for prevnar 13,and the high dose flu which is now covered.    I guess there’s a new Prevnar 23? 

There's a Prevnar 20, not 23. I had the Prevnar 13 back in 2019, and the Prevnar 20 this year. And going further back I had the Pneumovax 23, which is a different type of pneumonia vaccine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

There's a Prevnar 20, not 23. I had the Prevnar 13 back in 2019, and the Prevnar 20 this year. And going further back I had the Pneumovax 23, which is a different type of pneumonia vaccine.

Thanks, I thought there was a new one,  I’ve had the other two,  the pneumovax  twice.   

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Petunia1950 said:

The best doctor I ever had told me once -- "just remember 50% of doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class".  And he wasn't one of those.  But it did make me realize that doctors are NOT all-seeing, all-knowing.  They are human, just like the rest of us.

You had a wise doctor, IMHO. I worked at a University which had medical students and residents/intern working and making medical decisions. It was quite apparent that some did fine in academics but practical applications were difficult for them. This can be said for any profession really.

• Like 4