The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 17th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning all!

I've had 3 bosses, the first was so awful it's a wonder I ever worked again. High-powered attorney in Washington, D.C.   Thankfully the others were wonderful.  We do like pasta here, but try to limit the carbs.  Will pass on the chow mein, never liked it much, which is a good thing -- the sodium -- yikes! Tonight I think we'll have chicken stir fry.  I don't think I have any gaudy clothes.

The drink sounds good minus the salty rim, will pass on the red wine and Fakarava is on our GA itinerary.  We have no plans yet for that port.

Thanks to taking a pill last night, I slept 10 hours and feel much better today.  

Prayers for all on the care list and a big cheer to all who are celebrating!

• Like 20

Good morning/afternoon,

I had my preventive cardiology appointment today and she reminded me I need to bring a copy of my EKG with me on my cruises. This allows comparison for the ship doctor. She told the story of one of her patients who overdid sodium and ended up in the medical on the ship. He did an EKG and relied on the machine reading (he was an ortho resident moonlighting) and helicoptered her off the ship for a normal reading when the machine called it a heart attack. As women our EKG’s often have anterior MI on the machine reading due to our anatomy. My DH had a quirk on his too.  Now to find a sheet protector to put mine in. The challenge will be remembering to bring it with me! 

It is a sunny day and should warm up nicely. I broke down and put the heat on. It got down to 39 degrees and was a bit nippy. Great for sleeping not so great when you are up. 

I hope everyone is doing better. I hope Terri comes back and tells us what’s going on.  I am enjoying Jacqui’s thread. 

Prayers for the suffering around the world. I hope everyone has a good day!

• Like 21

Good afternoon.  I was able to get everything I needed while I was out this morning, including the Riesling at 20% off.  Just wish they'd had a few more bottles in stock.  It's been busy around here too.  DH renewed the motorhome insurance online, but still needed to call them.  Wound up with two logins and two passwords, but finally got it down to one each.  Now, I need to get the meat packaged and in the freezer; then, it will be about time to head out to mow the yard.  Right now, it is 68F, sunny with a light breeze.  It will be in the low 70s by the time I get outside.  That will be a nice change from this summer, and I doubt I'll need my cooling towel until next summer.

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.   I was a boss for a long time in my career and of course had a boss, I didn't own the company.  We both love pasta but it is a rare treat usually at the holidays as we watch our carbs.  I do have a gaudy pink and camo sweatshirt but it is up at the cabin.   A good quote by Coelho.   As Graham I like my Chow Mein with meat in it.    A wonderful cocktail and I will pass on unattainable vino and instead finish my half bottle of Dehlinger 2013 Cabernet that I opened yesterday.    Fakarava is on our intinerary for 2025 on the Konigsdam.   I hope someone has some photos of the atoll.   I have been following Bill and Mary Ann's blog on their current Volendam cruise and I am happy for them the experience is completely different from their world cruise on the Zuiderdam.  

Prayers for Edi @NextOne as she has her heart procedure today.    @JazzyV I hope you are getting some relief from your pain.   @smitty34877 I hope things are going better for you as we move through this week.  Prayers for everyone in our group needing them and the people in war zones in Ukraine and Israel.   

Well we woke this morning and the panel on the double oven is kaput again.   I have a card from an appliance repair company that did great work on my recall on my Bosch dishwasher so will call them today.   I hate to have to shell out big bucks right when the propane bills will be picking up for the winter.   I hope to work outside later today to cut back my Ostrich Ferns and start digging the holes for my daffodil bulbs that arrived over the weekend.   I also am going to get my Calla Lilies dug and started to dry.   Have a lovely day.  Nancy 

Calla Lily from last year. 

calla.jpg

Nancy, I hope the repairman can fix your oven, and you don't have to hunt for one that will fit the opening without breaking the bank.  

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I can't believe I may have made it to page 1!  I'm up early, early, because I have a cold and woke up at 1:20, finally got out of bed at 5.  Now it's 6 and I'm wide awake.  I took a Tylenol cold pill in the hope it dries me up for my flu shot later this morning.  I did look it up and it seems it's okay to have it with a mild cold.  I have tested myself twice over the last couple of days and I am negative for Covid.  No temperature, just a runny nose, coughing and sneezing.  

Thank you to al Dailyites for today's FL and D!  We also circled Fanning Island many years ago on Statendam, but it was because of weather, not Customs.    

I will continue later, gotta get on page 1!

Ann, I hope your cold clears up and you feel better soon.

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Seems to me you are right awake now Ann , glad somebody is keeping eye on things ! 

Almost ready to start driving to TO airport ..............See you in Barcelona !

Tony 😄

Tony, I hope you both have a safe flight today to Barcelona.

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning/afternoon,

I had my preventive cardiology appointment today and she reminded me I need to bring a copy of my EKG with me on my cruises. This allows comparison for the ship doctor. She told the story of one of her patients who overdid sodium and ended up in the medical on the ship. He did an EKG and relied on the machine reading (he was an ortho resident moonlighting) and helicoptered her off the ship for a normal reading when the machine called it a heart attack. As women our EKG’s often have anterior MI on the machine reading due to our anatomy. My DH had a quirk on his too.  Now to find a sheet protector to put mine in. The challenge will be remembering to bring it with me! 

It is a sunny day and should warm up nicely. I broke down and put the heat on. It got down to 39 degrees and was a bit nippy. Great for sleeping not so great when you are up. 

I hope everyone is doing better. I hope Terri comes back and tells us what’s going on.  I am enjoying Jacqui’s thread. 

Prayers for the suffering around the world. I hope everyone has a good day!

Lorraine, the idea of taking a copy of your EKG on a cruise sounds like a good idea.  

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

I think the post numbering is the way it has been for some time.  When a page is loaded, the numbering is sequential.  When a new post is added, it does not follow the sequence but starts up again with the first number of the current page.  The full numbering is restored when the page is reloaded.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Oh, my!  The leaves are all done for now.  We'll have to do them every week now for a while in order to keep up.  But the yard looks nice right now.  

Tonight we are going out to dinner with DS Mary Jo and DBIL Mitch.  After dinner, MJ, Mitch, and I are going to Celtic Thunder at the Center for the Arts.  I'm looking forward to that!   

I got my blood test results back and everything is looking good.  My cholesterol has never been better and my A1C is still below 6 even though I can't tolerate the metformin anymore.  I think that adrenal tumor was really making a mess of things.  My BP has been great ever since we took that thing out.  

I'm thinking of calling my PCC and upgrading to a balcony cabin for South America/Antarctica.  Hmmm

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Excellent point. It was like a scene out of Jaws except we had well trained black tip sharks, at least that what the tour quite said. BTRN has too many letters, let’s go back to just RNB!

Boy, another mistake. I hate spell check!  “tour quite” should be “tour guide”

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for your prayers.

I am hesitant to give more info right now, the reason being that I have been contacted by some CC members that are local in my area.  

I really do not want anyone to know what is going on.

I will tell you this.  We are not physically ill and we will probably be going on our trip next week.

However, there are some challenges we are trying to face and dealing with them.  Today things are a bit better.

Yesterday the floor guy was back and had the audacity to give me another bill.  With all the other stuff going on, I am now trying to fight this as well.   He made the mess and charged me for that and is now asking for money to fix his mess.

That did not help with all the other stuff I am having to deal with.

More later.

God love you all.

Terri

• Like 7
  • Thanks 14

Just a very few photos of Fakarava.  The primary settlement and tender landing is the landing of Rotoava:

rotoava.jpg

This is the beach on the Pacific Ocean:

fakaravapacific.jpg

The population is under 1,000 and there were a few stores, mostly offering non-perishable food as well as a primary school:

primary.jpg

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

This afternoon has turned out differently than I expected, we booked another cruise!

We had a future cruise credit with Celebrity that we bought on our Alaska cruise last month.  Now we have a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale next year (November) on their newest ship Beyond.  We'll walk off the Beyond and onto the Volendam for the TA/Med cruise.  

I thought why not look for something like this, since we'll be flying to FLL anyway 😉  We've been wanting to sail on one of their newer ships so this works perfectly.

• Like 21

A sunny spring day here.

Thanks for the fleet locations and all the daily information.

@NextOne  best wishes for a smooth recovery after the surgery today.

@JazzyV Hope that the Epidural tomorrow will successfully relieve your pain.

@grapau27  yesterday you mentioned the food you ate on the return flight from Florida,on which airline was that food served?   Were you in business class?

• Like 11

Good evening.  This afternoon the weather was perfect for doing yard work, sunny and warm, but not too hot.  For the first time in months there was no signs of fire ants, and I did not see a single black cricket.  The cooler weather must have gotten rid of them.  Not only is the grass mowed, but I put down fertilizer to get it ready for winter.  I even remembered to spread the bluebonnet seeds I'd dried last spring.  I always try to leave some seed pods on the plants, and gather others to spread in areas near the plants in order to get them to spread.

Dinner was easy.  I reheated two servings of lasagna, and two pieces of garlic bread to go with the avacado and tomato we split.  A little Pinot Noir and lemon Bundt cake completed dinner.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Oh, my!  The leaves are all done for now.  We'll have to do them every week now for a while in order to keep up.  But the yard looks nice right now.  

Tonight we are going out to dinner with DS Mary Jo and DBIL Mitch.  After dinner, MJ, Mitch, and I are going to Celtic Thunder at the Center for the Arts.  I'm looking forward to that!   

I got my blood test results back and everything is looking good.  My cholesterol has never been better and my A1C is still below 6 even though I can't tolerate the metformin anymore.  I think that adrenal tumor was really making a mess of things.  My BP has been great ever since we took that thing out.  

I'm thinking of calling my PCC and upgrading to a balcony cabin for South America/Antarctica.  Hmmm

Debbie, I hope you enjoy Celtic Thunder tonight.  Great news on your test numbers.  Too bad it took so long to get rid of the tumor.  As far as the balcony, go, for it.  The scenery is spectacular.

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you all for your prayers.

I am hesitant to give more info right now, the reason being that I have been contacted by some CC members that are local in my area.  

I really do not want anyone to know what is going on.

I will tell you this.  We are not physically ill and we will probably be going on our trip next week.

However, there are some challenges we are trying to face and dealing with them.  Today things are a bit better.

Yesterday the floor guy was back and had the audacity to give me another bill.  With all the other stuff going on, I am now trying to fight this as well.   He made the mess and charged me for that and is now asking for money to fix his mess.

That did not help with all the other stuff I am having to deal with.

More later.

God love you all.

Terri

Terri, thanks for giving an update with as much as you feel comfortable sharing.  I'm glad you are not physically ill and will p4obably go on your trip next week.  The flooring guynhas a lot of nerve.

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Greetings from the Rotterdam in the mid Atlantic. Today was our Cabin Crawl and my first Mariner Lunch since covid. Life aboard the Holland America Line flagship has been great.

We wish the rest of the world was doing as well. 

20231015_133559.thumb.jpg.0b2fb440fdb7902c4c4e0fa93ef72f03.jpg

20231013_131123.jpg

20231013_172235.jpg

20231015_204213.jpg

20231016_201500.jpg

20231017_093055.jpg

Glad the cruise is going well.  Thanks for the pictures.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Just a very few photos of Fakarava.  The primary settlement and tender landing is the landing of Rotoava:

rotoava.jpg

This is the beach on the Pacific Ocean:

fakaravapacific.jpg

The population is under 1,000 and there were a few stores, mostly offering non-perishable food as well as a primary school:

primary.jpg

Roy

Roy, thanks for the information and pictures of today's port.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

This afternoon has turned out differently than I expected, we booked another cruise!

We had a future cruise credit with Celebrity that we bought on our Alaska cruise last month.  Now we have a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale next year (November) on their newest ship Beyond.  We'll walk off the Beyond and onto the Volendam for the TA/Med cruise.  

I thought why not look for something like this, since we'll be flying to FLL anyway 😉  We've been wanting to sail on one of their newer ships so this works perfectly.

Glad you booked the cruise, Cariolyn.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good evening all, I hope everyone has had a good day. I’m watching the Phillies game again and they are up 2-0.

I thought of @Lady Hudsonthis morning when I was shopping at September Farms store . We bought some cranberry orange cheddar and some sharp cheddar cheese.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists 

• Like 11

@Quartzsite Cruiser I did talk to my PCC about the balcony, but decided to forgo it.  We would lose the OBC we received when we originally booked the cruise.  

ON another note, I got a message tonight that my prescription for my diabetes medication cannot be filled due to a shortage.  I'm not sure what I am going to do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser I did talk to my PCC about the balcony, but decided to forgo it.  We would lose the OBC we received when we originally booked the cruise.  

ON another note, I got a message tonight that my prescription for my diabetes medication cannot be filled due to a shortage.  I'm not sure what I am going to do.

Debbie, sorry you can't have a balcony and OBC.  This shortage of so many meds is getting bad.  Looks like a call to your doctor  tomorrow is needed.

Lenda

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Oh no.  Remind me again which med that is?  I take Glipizide, refilled it today with no problem.  I agree with Lenda, call your doctor tomorrow.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening all, I hope everyone has had a good day. I’m watching the Phillies game again and they are up 2-0.

I thought of @Lady Hudsonthis morning when I was shopping at September Farms store . We bought some cranberry orange cheddar and some sharp cheddar cheese.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists 

One of my favorite places.  Phillies game ended on a very high note!!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

A sunny spring day here.

Thanks for the fleet locations and all the daily information.

@NextOne  best wishes for a smooth recovery after the surgery today.

@JazzyV Hope that the Epidural tomorrow will successfully relieve your pain.

@grapau27  yesterday you mentioned the food you ate on the return flight from Florida,on which airline was that food served?   Were you in business class?

We were on a Boeing 787-8 

TUI airways Dreamliner.

We were in Premium which was their first class section and had metal cutlery.

VIP lounge in Newcastle and Melbourne Florida.

First on and off plane as were our cases which had Premium tags on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We were on a Boeing 787-8 

TUI airways Dreamliner.

We were in Premium which was their first class section and had metal cutlery.

VIP lounge in Newcastle and Melbourne Florida.

First on and off plane as were our cases which had Premium tags on.

Were they lie flat seats?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Were they lie flat seats?

No.

They were equivalent to Virgin Atlantic Premium economy.

Paulines best friend who we met in Orlando flew First class Virgin Atlantic with bed seats but paid 4 times the price of Premium.

We were in row 2.

These were TUI Boeing 787-8 best seats.

We flew from Newcastle our local airport and this was the last Orlando flight from Newcastle until next May.

We usually fly Virgin Atlantic to Manchester but it is a much bigger airport and we have a 2 hours 30 minutes minimum drive from Manchester and much longer time to get through customs etc.

IMG_20231018_110050.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2