Cancellation of cruise in the Middle East

Hill Country Dakota

We are on an Oceania cruise from Istanbul to Dubai starting on November 29.  What does it take for a  cruise line to cancel the cruise?  So far we are going to get a good tour of Greece, cancelling Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jerusalem, and Oman.  I know that they have to get the Riviera to Dubai, but, really, missing the whole reason for our cruise and then hearing of cancellations of other cruise lines!!!    Putting their"valued guests" in this predicament doesnt sound like good PR.   What leads one cruise line to  make the decision to cancel, and another refuses?  Rolling our cruise cost over to another trip?    Great idea!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We feel the same way, this is a total change and who wants to do the Greek Islands in December with aver temps 55F. Hill Country Dakota have they offer to roll full $ to another cruise.  My agent said Oceania refused my request. 

4 minutes ago, Pottsy said:

If Egypt, Saudi and Oman are not safe and border the Red Sea, how is 8 days in the Red Sea considered safe by Oceania!!

They will simply sail somewhere else. The cruise will likely become another  Med cruise in Greece and Italy.  It is sad they won’t allow movement of funds.  

1 hour ago, Hill Country Dakota said:

We are on an Oceania cruise from Istanbul to Dubai starting on November 29.  What does it take for a  cruise line to cancel the cruise?  So far we are going to get a good tour of Greece, cancelling Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jerusalem, and Oman.  I know that they have to get the Riviera to Dubai, but, really, missing the whole reason for our cruise and then hearing of cancellations of other cruise lines!!!    Putting their"valued guests" in this predicament doesnt sound like good PR.   What leads one cruise line to  make the decision to cancel, and another refuses?  Rolling our cruise cost over to another trip?    Great idea!!! 

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

There is a very active thread on the Oceania sub-forum of CC about another cruise with this problem.  People on other cruises are starting to discuss this also.

(Seems there might be FCC - Future Cruise Credits - available, perhaps only by request?  It isn't clear yet; this is a new and moving target issue.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2968949-marina-november-1-“holy-lands-and-treasures”-itinerary-changes/#comment-66269750

Keep in mind this is all still evolving, and the cruise lines NEED to deal first with cruises that are currently in progress (and may have had to evacuate suddenly and early), plus those about to depart, etc.

See what your cruise's CC Roll Call chatter includes about this.
That will be with others on your specific cruise.

GC

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hill Country Dakota said:

We are on an Oceania cruise from Istanbul to Dubai starting on November 29...

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

See what your cruise's CC Roll Call chatter includes about this.
That will be with others on your specific cruise...

Howdy @Hill Country Dakota from a fellow Texan and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards! The Texas Hill Country is my favorite part of our great state. Had my honeymoon there.

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line's cruise and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your new topic to the Oceania Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that are sailing Oceania frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

And yes, you are not the only travelers concerned about this situation. You need to locate and post on the specific Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date. You do not mention your ship so I cannot direct you to the specific Roll Call thread for your cruise as @GeezerCouple mentions. For information about our Roll Calls, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. We also have the following Cruise Critic article from last year you might enjoy8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

Hope this additional information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

16 hours ago, Hill Country Dakota said:

Many posts from pax on your sailing have stated Oceania will allow an FCC to all who request it - your TA is mistaken. Details can be found on the later posts at the end of your rollcall. You must book your cruise by November 30, and sail by December 31, 2025. Some items are said to not be refundable, perhaps upgraded flights, custom air fees.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I am appalled by Oceania’s attitude about this cruise. I have already been to the Greek isles and I live in Florida so I have no desire to sit by a pool for 9 days. I also don’t feel safe being in the Red Sea while a US naval destroyer is shooting down missiles and our state department has issued a “caution”. 
Oceana is willing to give us a future credit but not a credit for our business air, hotel which totals $12,000 out of our pockets!!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smelltheroses said:

I am appalled by Oceania’s attitude about this cruise. I have already been to the Greek isles and I live in Florida so I have no desire to sit by a pool for 9 days. I also don’t feel safe being in the Red Sea while a US naval destroyer is shooting down missiles and our state department has issued a “caution”. 
Oceana is willing to give us a future credit but not a credit for our business air, hotel which totals $12,000 out of our pockets!!!!

But why should they give you a credit for those ancillary items if you choose - yes you are choosing to forego the cruise. Sometimes it pays to book refundable air and hotels.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, smelltheroses said:

That is what travel insurance is for.  Have you contacted your insurer? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smelltheroses said:

What airline and or hotel is refusing to let you make a change.  Please let us know, so no one uses them in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smelltheroses said:

What about your insurance??

Jancruz1

• Like 7

3 hours ago, smelltheroses said:

You must be a rep for NCL. Most cruise lines have cancelled. Why would NCL put their passengers at any risk. Should we toast the war ships as we pass in the Suez Canal. 

Most cruise lines? Other than RCL with its roundtrip cruises from Haifa (targeted to the local Israeli market),who are the “Most Cruise Lines” to whom you refer?

• Like 1