how to communicate with friends

dlwfarm

Does cunard have any apps that show daily activities or have a chat feature?  Looking to how we contact our friends who are in different areas of ship?  Also, does cunard wake you up if northern lights are out?  And last question, can my husband wear a polo shirt with dress pants for dinner on non Gala nights? Thanks

9 hours ago, dlwfarm said:

can my husband wear a polo shirt with dress pants for dinner on non Gala nights?

Will depend on where you intend on dining. For MDRs the requirement is "smart collared shirt" other venues will depend on the interpretation of "sports attire"

• Like 1

“how to communicate with friends“

Passengers on Cunard ships have been successfully communicating with each other for over 180 years. Why has it suddenly become so difficult?😕

This is not specifically aimed at the OP. There have been others asking the same question recently.

• Like 1

From what I've seen is Cunard don't have a stand alone app.   Instead they use a URL link using your browser e.g. Chrome.   From that URL you will have access to the daily planner.    Since it would be web based there would not be the capability of messaging.

If you and those you wish to communicate with all have internet access you should be able to use Text over Wifi.

On Non-gala nights, you could get away with a polo but he may feel a bit underdressed and chilly. Buffet is better for polo’s. Polo’s are perfect during the day. 
For Gala nights, a definite no for polo’s. 

• Like 1

I should point out, going to the original question, that there are telephones in each stateroom, so you can just call up.

They won't normally wake you up for the Northern Lights, as such, since very few public address (PA) messages get put through to staterooms, you may hear an echo from down the corridor though, but it's unlikely to wake you up. However there is a television channel which rebroadcasts the PA, and you can set the TV volume accordingly. But in case I'm next door: not too loud please!

Smart attire means "dress shirt and trousers" as a minimum, and it's important to simply read the words Cunard puts out for this. A polo shirt is out of line for the Britannia Restaurant, and way short for the Grills, in my view, but if you wore a smart jacket on top you're in the "just about getting away with it" category. Subjectively I would say the whole point of Cunard is that in a number of ways the 3 Cunard vessels are different from their 297 competitors, and one aspect of that is the dress code. If you're not keen, well there are plenty of other companies interested in your business.

• Like 2

I have said this before, the dress advisories are for the ship and all four 'main' restaurants are part of the whole so there is no difference in dress standards between any of them. QG has no higher dress standards than Britannia. I have seen polo shirts worn in QG on non gala evenings and whilst I don't think they fit the advisories, the polo shirt wearer has not been denied entry to dinner. To say the wearer stood out like a sore thumb is probably overstating the issue, but it was noticeable.

I will add, this was last year. No polos as far as I could see at dinner time in the restaurant this year.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I have said this before, the dress advisories are for the ship and all four 'main' restaurants are part of the whole so there is no difference in dress standards between any of them. QG has no higher dress standards than Britannia. I have seen polo shirts worn in QG on non gala evenings and whilst I don't think they fit the advisories, the polo shirt wearer has not been denied entry to dinner. To say the wearer stood out like a sore thumb is probably overstating the issue, but it was noticeable.

I will add, this was last year. No polos as far as I could see at dinner time in the restaurant this year.

A man left the Queens Grill wearing shorts last night, admittedly it was the last night of the cruise, although as far as I am aware the dress code is still in place.

I just got off the Queen Elizabeth last week.  I noticed one glaring instance of dress code violation.  It consisted of a black t-shirt and jeans in the Britannia dining room for dinner.  Somehow the staff let it slide.

There are two interpretations of a "Can I wear XXX" question.

1. Is it appropriate? - will I fit in?
2. Can I get away with it? - will the dress code be enforced to the extent that I might be turned awy from a particular venue?

I have seen someone turned away from Britannia for not wearing a jacket on a gala night but I think it was 8 or 10 years ago. 
I don't think someone wearing a polo shirt on a non-Gala night would be bothered at all. Personally I'd rather see someone wearing a black collarless shirt under a jacket than a polo but I know that more traditionalists think the minimum standard is a woven dress shirt (with a collar, obviously).

Cunard now punts the question. The "What to Pack" section of the website says "This doesn’t mean you’ll be expected to wear a gown or dinner jacket each evening. Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theater on a special occasion." 

Next to that block of text is this photo:
casual.jpg.7a10886b83f0a37b65b5e7c2adec3e2f.jpg

Edit - Oh, interesting! The above is the photo on the US version of the site. Here's what the UK version of the website shows next to the same text:
casualuk.jpg.2fc06ea38354c20d0bf9d1ad9b0cd982.jpg

Hmmm.....

Edited by Underwatr

12 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't wear shorts full stop but this isn't about me !

Me neither. You remember Lydia Lopokova, a famous ballerina and Maynard Keynes’ wife, said she never wore shorts in the summer, because her legs got so bitten by barristers. A wise thought, and the rest of the year it is too cold. 🙂

• Like 1