The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 21st, 2023

richwmn

Interesting collection of days - I'm sure I babble at times, hope not too frequently and really don't care celebrate it. I love a good plate 8f nachos. Probably won't count buttons - it seems we have very few things with buttons.

Quote = ?? 

Maybe on the meal, drink and wine; never been to the port.

Florence Nightingale is always worthy of recognition. 

57° headed to 93° - ugh. I am looking forward to cooler temps in Europe.

Rangers had a very disappointing loss last night 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

Screenshot_20231021-073849_Weather.jpg

• Like 22

Good morning everyone, I had a lot written and Google had issues so I closed out and my content didn't save. oh well.   Nachos should have their day every day.   A thought provoking quote.  Today's soup #3 from Debbie is a good one to hold onto for our Thanksgiving left overs.    I will pass on the sweet drink but I am so glad that Ann chose the King Estate Pinot Gris, a nice change for once and a versatile varietal.   Thanks for the photos of today's port @rafinmd.  Florence Nightengale did so much good. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports each day Vanessa.  Prayers for everyone in our group needing them and for the  innocent people of Israel, Ukraine and Gaza who are forced to live in war zones.    

Happy Birthday @Lady Hudson and your dear sister!  

Amazon.com: Happy Birthday Wishing You A Super Special Birthday: Happy  Birthday Guestbook For Birthday Party To Leave Their Comments & Wishes:  9798632389525: Publishing, Laalpiran: Books

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  It is a crisp 56 F and feels like 56F with 75% humidity and a dew point of 48F.  This time of year, I can wait until it warms up to take my walk.  Our high will be 91F, but by the time we reach today's high, we will be inside watching the Texas Longhorns v U of Houston Cougars game.  HOOK EM HORNS! 🤘

I probably babble at times, but I try not to do so.  Over the years, I've gotten quite a collection of buttons, but will not count them.  Nachos sound good for today, but we'll be having fajitas instead.

The Goethe quote is interesting.

We'll pass on the meal, but the drink sounds good.  I would probably try the King Estate Pinot Noir instead of the Pinot Gris.

We have not been to Surabaya, Java, Indonesia, either, so I do not have any pictures to contribute.

I will salute Florence Nightingale and her 38 nurses who went to the Crimea in 1854.

To find the links to the port of the day, I have a different method.  Once I'm on the Daily, I use the search tool on CC.  I just put the name of the port, and do not include the country.  The important thing is to switch to search this Forum, not this Topic.  Using this method will usually result in just a few pages to scroll though.  Today only showed nine posts, but if the port is one that BHBs visit often, there will be more pages of posts to sort though, but it is quicker than guessing the page(s) where to search.  If it is a port that I have posted pictures of, I'll look for my post(s).  I tried to do a screenshot of the search, but it didn't work.

@grapau27 Graham, thank you for your kind words about my photos.  The bring back good memories for me, and I hope they inspire others to visit the ports.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope Scott will be able to go to rehab soon.  In DH's case, the three hours of PT included OT and was geared to the abilities of the different patients.  As DH and others progressed, the PT changed to meet their newer abilities.  The OT included showers and group activities with the group sitting in wheelchairs.  FWIW, the rehab DH was in was a mini-hospital that also met the medical needs of the patients, and when needed would send the patients to a nearby ER.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the shots are working better today.  Don't hesitate to add yourself to the Care List when needed.

@Mr. Boston  When we leave a car sitting for more than a week, we usually disconnect the battery so all the hidden functions don't continue to drain the battery.  If there's room on the battery this is the disconnect we use.  

0b3797bf-ea44-40b6-9a1e-0f25f60611ed.f1359ffcb2341b92f60d2087959b44ef.png.4b6c7e95403d54c13ac3f0c8062b6003.png

@smitty34877  Terri, I hope tackling the closet isn't too difficult for you.  

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the weather improves before the wedding.

@Haljo1935  And it was a white knuckle last inning win for the Astros.

392872674_304742775649509_51290118181020381_n.jpg.4c093e5dda628f437746dfa2d80697bb.jpg

391612006_1930638530670377_6079766123457603050_n.jpg.440d7b899f515175203b5f477d343d5e.jpg

371867125_274111492077853_1170307997070987461_n.thumb.jpg.e1654d441458c164801e2b706c352eec.jpg

391593502_727063276120964_1082386191812267_n.jpg.74a0235893e66bdbdf57f4439289a2eb.jpg

387836570_380273464325945_9214605025685267686_n.jpg.62659fb07a5e5e9668223f625db4b423.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 19

Dearest Daily-ites, 

I apologize for not updating sooner. 

It's been a long 3 ½ weeks with my DH in the hospital and then inpatient rehab. You all know what those long days sitting bedside are like and rehab wasn't much easier. I was asked to work with him at rehab during OT & PT plus he wanted me back each night for Visiting Hours.

DH finally got home Thursday. It is going to be a challenge. His heart is damaged; his lungs are still recovering. He is weak, a bit depressed, and his usual determination is undercut by his newly deepened dementia. 

We were both exhausted last night after his first full day home.

Yesterday morning I fixed our bed after one box spring support rail somehow worked off its tracks in the middle of Thursday night -- CRASH! BANG! damn!

(That's the first time I've lifted our Queen mattress + springs by myself. I was amazed to find the strength, but invisible forces were helping me.)

After that, we had a gentleman's spa day -- I cut DH's hair, trimmed his beard, clipped his nails, and helped him get his first at-home shower using his new shower chair. 

In between, I managed to fix breakfast and lunch. Then it was off to outpatient PT where DH's longtime therapist is continuing what inpatient started. 

All before dinnertime...Whew! 

Last night I realized that I'll need to pace myself better than yesterday…or neither one of us will survive. It's going to be a journey – unfortunately not one on a BHB.

Your care and prayer has surrounded us daily. With deep gratitude,

-Melisa 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

Good morning to all on this coolish morning in the desert.  Presently 62F but no fear, we will get up to the high 90s later.  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I don't think I babble, I loose buttons so none to count and nachos are tremendous.  Interesting quote and after seeing the recipes for the soup, it is a keeper for later on!!  Pass on the wine (white) but I prefer non-flavored Margaritas as I find flavored ones too sweet.  Never been to Indonesia.  Of course, I will celebrate Florence Nightingale!!

Busy day yesterday.  I only had 2 classes to sub for and it was music history.  Played 2 songs from Nat King Cole and 2 from Frank Sinatra and the students had a worksheet to complete.  I knew all 4 songs as my parents played them all the time.  I never listened to the popular songs growing up; in fact, in my 8th grade play I was part of a quartet singing songs from some groups I had no idea who they were - The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkle!!  Go figure!!  One period the girls were little ........... let's just say, I did not particularly like them.  Thank goodness it was only 50 minutes!!

Had to buy another Firestick as one completely went kaput!  I first I thought it was the HDMI port on the tv that went bad but was able to use the Firestick from my bedroom tv.  After researching, the ones I had were Gen 2s so I got a 4K one.  I realized I really don't use the tv in my bedroom so contemplating getting rid of it BUT it gets local tv as I have an antenna for it.  I can point it to the transponders on Mt Lemon where the one in the living room can't without putting something outside.  Decisions, decisions.

Off to the gym and then I really need to straighten out my patio.  Arranged care for Martina with the young man who will come and take care of her while I am gone in a month.  One task done.

Thoughts for the world and all those suffering.  Cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 25

Slept much better last night, finally!  Ready to tackle today. 
The Goethe quote took some time to sink in!  
I could use a Strawberry Margarita! 
@smitty34877 I’m going through old shoes too. Can’t wear them with the lifts I now need for my short left leg, no sandals, no clogs…. But maybe a hip replacement in my future could solve my problem?  So I might keep a couple of my favorite pairs. 

Today, big red marking pens should arrive from Amazon. We’ll start relabeling boxes we reused from previous move, starting a new inventory system. 

@superoma Eva, we too recycled years of National Geographic. We gave all the maps to a family with 10 children, and all our Scientific American book series. DH’s mother was in assisted living and they used old magazines for projects. Some of mother’s Nat’l Geos went there with her. 

Thank you all for posting photos, I find them uplifting!  @grapau27 I can relate to the issue of the steps to the beach. But you have beautiful choices nearby. I enjoy seeing your dash display with the temp!  

IMG_2029.thumb.jpeg.ee307b7f387cb476d59e9e398da53abb.jpegThis is a view from our 6th floor condo now. We have an end unit and see three directions. The new apartment isn’t a corner so we’ll view only one direction but it’ll be trees and in winter the ponds, not parking lots and buildings. We’ll have an open balcony to sit out in fresh air which is something I miss here. I’m sure we’ll enjoy it. IF all the legal hurdles get resolved to DH’s satisfaction. 🙏

Blessings to you all, especially thinking of those struggling now. Near and far. 
Cheers to those celebrating. Happy Birthday @Lady Hudson and twin. Trusting your DH is doing well too. 
Smooth planning and travels to all away, may our cruisers enjoy it all!  

Thank you all for your encouragement on our move and health challenges, and for all the work that goes into this thread community. 
Maureen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Sorry Chief but today is my babbling day off!

Just kidding of course. As far as that Redneck double wide igloo, you must also cut a hole in the ice next to the igloo so it will protect you from polar bears. How is this done? Once the polar bear approaches, you kick it in the ice hole! 😀

RNB, Wouldn't you need two holes in the ice? One for the polar bears and the other one for the outhouse.

• Like 3
  • Haha 16

I haven't read all the new posts yet but have an update on soccer.  The FC Dallas team beat Columbus Crew 5 to 2.  Ren scored one goal and played right wing this game.  It was pretty chilly in Columbus this morning from what I hear.

@Mr. Boston when we leave the cars unattended for weeks on end we use a trickle charger and timer which turns it on a couple hours a day.  Here's what DH has set up, one for each car.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We don't drive our cars every day, in fact we stick close to home most of the week, so he uses these all the time. 

Going back to read the new posts. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

Not sure about babbling or counting buttons, but I'll always say yes to nachos.  The last recipe (without the cream) looks good to me, as does the drink and wine.  Tonight we'll finally have the Guinness beef pot pie (it took all day yesterday to slow-cook the pot roast).  Debbie @dfish I'll be sure to let you know if we like it (I have a feeling we will). 😅  We haven't been to Indonesia yet, but will go to Komodo Island on the GA.  

Happy Birthday @Lady Hudson and twin!

Melisa @HAL Sailer Thank you for checking in.  More prayers for you and your DH for the challenges you're facing.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I would just like to say that I love all the pictures, memes and reports from everyone. I think my cruising days are in the rear view mirror but I love to hear about yours! I look forward to each day in order to find out what everyone is doing. Right now I am just trying to keep putting one foot ahead of the other and stay sort of sane!

@HAL SailerMelisa, please try to take care of yourself at this difficult time. Sending prayers for you both.

I still feel the exhaustion of the last several months. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the fleet report and all the neat information!

Strength and best wishes for those who are struggling or suffering today.

Tomorrow we are boarding the Celebrity Equinox  at Port Everglades. Six night cruise, short for us, we're calling it our booze cruise 😋

We'll have   the Rotterdam docked near us, I'm looking forward to sailing on her in March

I'm sorry to see that the Nieuw Amsterdam will be  there for repairs. Sad start to the Caribbean  season.

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 24

Kind of busy yesterday and didn't get to the Daily until last night.  A few months ago I noticed that I had more than 100 old National Geographics in my storage room, some as old as 1916, a few from the 1920s and 30s and the majority from the 1950s to the 1980s.  I spent a few weeks reading each of them and it was very enjoyable, learning about countries just after WW1 and prior to WW2 that I have actually visited in the last few years.  Some of the ads were interesting, such as a 1919 Locomobile, or how wonderful lead paint was.  Wasn't sure what to do with them, so they are back in the storeroom.

Decided yesterday to have my roof cleaned.  It is metal, shaped like Roman tile, so can be pressure washed.  Used something like Angi's List and quickly received four bids.  Chose the one who actually came to my house, measured it, and described what he would do.  

• Like 24

Sorry but I got distracted when I heard the sound of a huge motorhome rumbling up our street to turn around at the cul-de-sac and then park next door.  Brenda and Paul are home!  However, they have a bible school party to attend tonight, and a wedding tomorrow near Macon, and a visit to friends Monday near Macon, so will be home for good Tuesday.  Had to run out and give out hugs!  

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas.  It is a crisp 56 F and feels like 56F with 75% humidity and a dew point of 48F.  This time of year, I can wait until it warms up to take my walk.  Our high will be 91F, but by the time we reach today's high, we will be inside watching the Texas Longhorns v U of Houston Cougars game.  HOOK EM HORNS! 🤘

I probably babble at times, but I try not to do so.  Over the years, I've gotten quite a collection of buttons, but will not count them.  Nachos sound good for today, but we'll be having fajitas instead.

The Goethe quote is interesting.

We'll pass on the meal, but the drink sounds good.  I would probably try the King Estate Pinot Noir instead of the Pinot Gris.

We have not been to Surabaya, Java, Indonesia, either, so I do not have any pictures to contribute.

I will salute Florence Nightingale and her 38 nurses who went to the Crimea in 1854.

To find the links to the port of the day, I have a different method.  Once I'm on the Daily, I use the search tool on CC.  I just put the name of the port, and do not include the country.  The important thing is to switch to search this Forum, not this Topic.  Using this method will usually result in just a few pages to scroll though.  Today only showed nine posts, but if the port is one that BHBs visit often, there will be more pages of posts to sort though, but it is quicker than guessing the page(s) where to search.  If it is a port that I have posted pictures of, I'll look for my post(s).  I tried to do a screenshot of the search, but it didn't work.

@grapau27 Graham, thank you for your kind words about my photos.  The bring back good memories for me, and I hope they inspire others to visit the ports.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope Scott will be able to go to rehab soon.  In DH's case, the three hours of PT included OT and was geared to the abilities of the different patients.  As DH and others progressed, the PT changed to meet their newer abilities.  The OT included showers and group activities with the group sitting in wheelchairs.  FWIW, the rehab DH was in was a mini-hospital that also met the medical needs of the patients, and when needed would send the patients to a nearby ER.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the shots are working better today.  Don't hesitate to add yourself to the Care List when needed.

@Mr. Boston  When we leave a car sitting for more than a week, we usually disconnect the battery so all the hidden functions don't continue to drain the battery.  If there's room on the battery this is the disconnect we use.  

0b3797bf-ea44-40b6-9a1e-0f25f60611ed.f1359ffcb2341b92f60d2087959b44ef.png.4b6c7e95403d54c13ac3f0c8062b6003.png

@smitty34877  Terri, I hope tackling the closet isn't too difficult for you.  

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the weather improves before the wedding.

@Haljo1935  And it was a white knuckle last inning win for the Astros.

392872674_304742775649509_51290118181020381_n.jpg.4c093e5dda628f437746dfa2d80697bb.jpg

391612006_1930638530670377_6079766123457603050_n.jpg.440d7b899f515175203b5f477d343d5e.jpg

371867125_274111492077853_1170307997070987461_n.thumb.jpg.e1654d441458c164801e2b706c352eec.jpg

391593502_727063276120964_1082386191812267_n.jpg.74a0235893e66bdbdf57f4439289a2eb.jpg

387836570_380273464325945_9214605025685267686_n.jpg.62659fb07a5e5e9668223f625db4b423.jpg

Lenda

Lenda, thanks for your good wishes for Scott.  I'm hoping for the best for him, but I have to admit I'm worried.  Love the memes today!  Good luck to your Texas Longhorns.  Michigan-Michigan State play tonight for the in-state rivalry.  It's taking place in Lansing so no Big House to help motivate the team.  And Michigan State has beat the Wolverines plenty of times in the past, so who knows what will happen.

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

Dearest Daily-ites, 

I apologize for not updating sooner. 

It's been a long 3 ½ weeks with my DH in the hospital and then inpatient rehab. You all know what those long days sitting bedside are like and rehab wasn't much easier. I was asked to work with him at rehab during OT & PT plus he wanted me back each night for Visiting Hours.

DH finally got home Thursday. It is going to be a challenge. His heart is damaged; his lungs are still recovering. He is weak, a bit depressed, and his usual determination is undercut by his newly deepened dementia. 

We were both exhausted last night after his first full day home.

Yesterday morning I fixed our bed after one box spring support rail somehow worked off its tracks in the middle of Thursday night -- CRASH! BANG! damn!

(That's the first time I've lifted our Queen mattress + springs by myself. I was amazed to find the strength, but invisible forces were helping me.)

After that, we had a gentleman's spa day -- I cut DH's hair, trimmed his beard, clipped his nails, and helped him get his first at-home shower using his new shower chair. 

In between, I managed to fix breakfast and lunch. Then it was off to outpatient PT where DH's longtime therapist is continuing what inpatient started. 

All before dinnertime...Whew! 

Last night I realized that I'll need to pace myself better than yesterday…or neither one of us will survive. It's going to be a journey – unfortunately not one on a BHB.

Your care and prayer has surrounded us daily. With deep gratitude,

-Melisa 

Melisa, I'm sorry you've had such a rough start but hoping things look better as time goes on.  Prayers for you and DH!  I'm glad he's back home now.

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Slept much better last night, finally!  Ready to tackle today. 
The Goethe quote took some time to sink in!  
I could use a Strawberry Margarita! 
@smitty34877 I’m going through old shoes too. Can’t wear them with the lifts I now need for my short left leg, no sandals, no clogs…. But maybe a hip replacement in my future could solve my problem?  So I might keep a couple of my favorite pairs. 

Today, big red marking pens should arrive from Amazon. We’ll start relabeling boxes we reused from previous move, starting a new inventory system. 

@superoma Eva, we too recycled years of National Geographic. We gave all the maps to a family with 10 children, and all our Scientific American book series. DH’s mother was in assisted living and they used old magazines for projects. Some of mother’s Nat’l Geos went there with her. 

Thank you all for posting photos, I find them uplifting!  @grapau27 I can relate to the issue of the steps to the beach. But you have beautiful choices nearby. I enjoy seeing your dash display with the temp!  

IMG_2029.thumb.jpeg.ee307b7f387cb476d59e9e398da53abb.jpegThis is a view from our 6th floor condo now. We have an end unit and see three directions. The new apartment isn’t a corner so we’ll view only one direction but it’ll be trees and in winter the ponds, not parking lots and buildings. We’ll have an open balcony to sit out in fresh air which is something I miss here. I’m sure we’ll enjoy it. IF all the legal hurdles get resolved to DH’s satisfaction. 🙏

Blessings to you all, especially thinking of those struggling now. Near and far. 
Cheers to those celebrating. Happy Birthday @Lady Hudson and twin. Trusting your DH is doing well too. 
Smooth planning and travels to all away, may our cruisers enjoy it all!  

Thank you all for your encouragement on our move and health challenges, and for all the work that goes into this thread community. 
Maureen

What a pretty view!  Prayers for you and your DH as well with that big move.  The movers will quickly finish up what you don't get accomplished so try not to worry to much over that.  I know for sure it would take me longer to do what you're doing than it would 5 or 10 years ago.  Take care!

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Our view from breakfast this morning.

IMG_2987.thumb.jpeg.21ab449ae6d3ad1c39c2e8b5b3e9a71b.jpeg

So pretty!  Michigan is a beautiful state!

47 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I would just like to say that I love all the pictures, memes and reports from everyone. I think my cruising days are in the rear view mirror but I love to hear about yours! I look forward to each day in order to find out what everyone is doing. Right now I am just trying to keep putting one foot ahead of the other and stay sort of sane!

@HAL SailerMelisa, please try to take care of yourself at this difficult time. Sending prayers for you both.

I still feel the exhaustion of the last several months. 

Terry, I want to give you a hug, too!  {{{{🤗}}}}   I'm sorry you think your cruising days are over but you just never know.  I'm sure it will be quite some time for your exhaustion to ease up.  Please take care of yourself.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@dfish Last night's and this morning's pictures look like A-Ga-Ming. But beautiful wherever...

Enjoy being UpNorth!

-M.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!  You are absolutely correct.  My DS Barb lives on the other side of 31 from A-Ga-Ming.  I think wedding attendees have filled the condos here.

I’m glad to read that your DH is home now.  Do pace yourself and don’t be afraid to seek help occasionally.  Best wishes to you!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  
@Lady Hudson happy birthday!  
@smitty34877it takes a lot of time to heal, you’ve been through a lot.  Give yourself time and rest.  
@RMLincoln you have a gorgeous view!  Nice to see where people live,  hope your upcoming move goes well and you settle in quickly.  
@HAL Sailerglad your husband is home, pace yourself!  

An interesting discussion on how everyone finds the photos.  For me it’s just easier to use the choose files and search in my photos.  

We also have been part of the flat battery club after a long trip,  great idea @StLouisCruisers

IMG_3154.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I will try not to babble. I have my mother's tin of buttons, but don't count them. I like nachos. Nice quote. The meal looks good; winter meals are often soup for me. Strawberry margaritas are a favorite of mine. I'll pass on the wine. I haven't been to Surabaya. I'll salute Florence Nightingale. 

It's cloudy here, and there was some morning rain. I slept well, after taking a benadryl before bed and the prior night's lack of sleep. When I woke up, I didn't have time to stretch my back, and had a lot of tingling and numbness in my leg, plus some pain. I hobbled to the bathroom, then tried to stretch after I got back in bed. I hope the epidural steroids will start to kick in more as time goes on. I may try to do laundry today. I also want to clean the floor (the grout) in the downstairs bathroom. When the plumber came to check the boiler and toilet, he found I need some new pipes for the boiler. And I decided to get a new commode that's higher than the 1950's one that in there. He will come on Thursday to do all this.

@Lady Hudson Happy Birthday to you and your twin!

@StLouisCruisers That's good that Scott can work toward getting transferred to rehab. Congrats to FC Dallas and Ren. I use a trickle charger too, if gone for a while.

@cat shepard That's bad about the accidents.

@rafinmd I like that moody statue photo from Surabaya.

@smitty34877 Sorry that fixing the oil tank leak may turn into something big. But I'm glad you have heat! Good luck with the closet cleanout. Hugs to you.

@dfish Enjoy the wedding and family! Lovely view of fall foliage.

@HAL Sailer Thank you for the update on your DH. I agree you will need to pace yourself during his attempts to recover, so that your needs are also taken care of.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you slept better. Nice view.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
@Lady Hudson happy birthday!  
@smitty34877it takes a lot of time to heal, you’ve been through a lot.  Give yourself time and rest.  
@RMLincoln you have a gorgeous view!  Nice to see where people live,  hope your upcoming move goes well and you settle in quickly.  
@HAL Sailerglad your husband is home, pace yourself!  

An interesting discussion on how everyone finds the photos.  For me it’s just easier to use the choose files and search in my photos.  

We also have been part of the flat battery club after a long trip,  great idea @StLouisCruisers

IMG_3154.jpeg

I use the files on my phone too.

I currently have 1929 photos in my phone gallery over the last 4 years and my phone dates each one which helps for reference.

I delete my food photos after posting them on CC except the ones that Pauline and I are in.

Before that I used to get the photos printed and deleted them from my phone.

I used to video most of our cruises etc on our camcorder and transfer them onto DVDs.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1