Did something dumb-flight leaving out of Amsterdam too early?

3redheads

I wasn't paying attention to the flight time after our cruise, ending in Amsterdam.  My return flight time is 10:55am.

We always self-assist getting off the ship.  Is this doable?  I am looking to see if I can change it...

TIA

First question,  with all the port changes,  are you 100% sure you are docking in the city center of Amsterdam?

Secondly, you would need to check into the appointment system for security/Immigration checks at AMS.

Thirdly, is your flight direct to the US? If yes, you have an additional security/passport check before you board the plane. If not direct to the US, you have a lot better chance of catching the flight.

Fourth, you would absolutely need private transportation, or grab a cab.

Lastly,  you do remember all the issues AMS had in Summer 2022? It's better, but not completely fixed. See point 2 above. 

That being said, I wouldn't book a 10:55 flight direct to the US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

First question,  with all the port changes,  are you 100% sure you are docking in the city center of Amsterdam?

I found a port schedule, but it says Amsterdam.  I'm not sure.

Secondly, you would need to check into the appointment system for security/Immigration checks at AMS.

Ahhh, that will be an obstacle.  Did not know about this requirement.

Thirdly, is your flight direct to the US? If yes, you have an additional security/passport check before you board the plane. If not direct to the US, you have a lot better chance of catching the flight.

Direct flight

Fourth, you would absolutely need private transportation, or grab a cab.

Lastly,  you do remember all the issues AMS had in Summer 2022? It's better, but not completely fixed. See point 2 above. 

I was not aware of the issues.  I will research.

That being said, I wouldn't book a 10:55 flight direct to the US. 

Working on changing my flight.  Can leave the following day, but still looking at options.

Thank you so much for your detailed response!

Edited by 3redheads

2 hours ago, 3redheads said:

I was not aware of the issues.  I will research.

I wouldn't bother. AMS had a horror with security delays last summer (and I don't know why CruiserBruce didn't just say that!). I don't know what his source is for saying that it's not completely fixed, but there are no systemic delays there at all now to the best off my knowledge. In any case, the appointment system mitigates the risk. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

If you're flying home to Southern Delaware, there must be dozens of options every day.

Flying into Philly on AA.  Switched to the following day and got a good credit.  Gives us an extra day in Amsterdam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 3redheads said:

Gives us an extra day in Amsterdam.

Never a bad thing 😀

Personally, I would have been very relaxed about your flight, but everyone's risk appetite is different, and it certainly removes any last night worries and allows you to have a carefree disembarkation rather than scrambling off at 7 am! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

@3redheads, its NOT a requirement to use the appointment system. Rather it is intended to be a way you can get through the process faster.

What is this system? I didn't know about booking an appointment. I'm flying out on a direct 1:30pm flight does that give me enough time?

20 minutes ago, styme123 said:

What is this system? I didn't know about booking an appointment. I'm flying out on a direct 1:30pm flight does that give me enough time?

It has been reported here and elsewhere. I have not used it. It gets you an appointment for the security clearance phase...you don't have to stand in line.

A 1:30 flight is quite doable.

1 hour ago, styme123 said:

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/timeslots/

Just as a data point, we took a ship shuttle from ship to airport, which departed at 10.00 am (on a Saturday) and we had checked luggage (already checked in), cleared security and passport control and arrived to the KLM lounge by 12.15pm.  We had a long walk from the shuttle drop point to the KLM luggage drop and then went to the wrong security line (my fault, habit) and DW is a slow walker.  However there were lines at bag drop, security and passport control.  A 1.30 flight would give me no worries, as I would just leave earlier than we did.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/timeslots/

Just as a data point, we took a ship shuttle from ship to airport, which departed at 10.00 am (on a Saturday) and we had checked luggage (already checked in), cleared security and passport control and arrived to the KLM lounge by 12.15pm.  We had a long walk from the shuttle drop point to the KLM luggage drop and then went to the wrong security line (my fault, habit) and DW is a slow walker.  However there were lines at bag drop, security and passport control.  A 1.30 flight would give me no worries, as I would just leave earlier than we did.

Thank you for the link! What time slot should we choose if our ship docks at 6:00am and we are doing self-walk off and carry-on luggage only?

A 1.30 flight would give me no worries, as I would just leave earlier than we did.

But you were in the lounge 75 minutes before that flight, why would you want to leave earlier? 😀

56 minutes ago, styme123 said:

What time slot should we choose if our ship docks at 6:00am and we are doing self-walk off and carry-on luggage only?

You can only book a slot from three days before. You fill in your flight details and the system will give you suggested slots based on their predictions. You can usually choose from really quite early to very early indeed!! This all assumes you won't have fast track through status or booking, nor Previum. 

1 hour ago, styme123 said:

Thank you for the link! What time slot should we choose if our ship docks at 6:00am and we are doing self-walk off and carry-on luggage only?

I don't think  I would bother with the appointment for a 1.30 flight.  

Disembark 8.30 and through the terminal by 9.00am.  Grab a taxi (many of them outside the terminal or if you want to pre book try staxi.nl).  You will be at the airport by 9.45 and that gives you almost 4 hours.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

But you were in the lounge 75 minutes before that flight, why would you want to leave earlier? 😀

Our flight was actually at 3.50pm and we took the last transfer bus.

I was replying to the poster who asked about their flight at 1.30pm.  I stated that we departed the terminal at 10.00 am and that they should have no problems if they departed earlier than we had done.

3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

But you were in the lounge 75 minutes before that flight, why would you want to leave earlier? 

You can only book a slot from three days before. You fill in your flight details and the system will give you suggested slots based on their predictions. You can usually choose from really quite early to very early indeed!! This all assumes you won't have fast track through status or booking, nor Previum. 

If you miss your appointment slot then do you have to wait on the regular line? I would imagine so. 

Grab a taxi (many of them outside the terminal or if you want to pre book try staxi.nl).  You will be at the airport by 9.45 and that gives you almost 4 hours.

Do you think a taxi at the terminal or a booked transfer from the ship is better or more reliable? 

11 minutes ago, styme123 said:

If you miss your appointment slot then do you have to wait on the regular line? I would imagine so. 

The slot is for 15 minutes.  If you are there late, then you lose your slot and go through the regular line.

9 minutes ago, styme123 said:

Do you think a taxi at the terminal or a booked transfer from the ship is better or more reliable? 

When is your cruise?

I have used staxi.nl several times in Amsterdam and found them reliable.  There is the advantage that you have a firm quoted price for the journey.  

If you take a taxi then you are subject to the vagaries of taximeters and navigation systems 😉

When we disembarked there were quite a few taxis waiting for a customer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, styme123 said:

We easily took a taxi that was lined up at the terminal when we self disembarked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...