Baggage Trouble at Port Canaveral - RCCL no help!

FL-momma

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You know the porter doesn’t work for the cruise line, right? To tell these guys the can’t accept tips for lugging bags to parking lots because they might be in too much of a hurry to check luggage tags that the passengers can certainly check themselves is insane. I love to use them, big family, I want them to hustle (and tip them well). The only person at fault is the other passenger (and I’ve been that passenger…).

Exactly. If the porter lugs my bags out to a parking lot at debarkation I want to give a tip. I asked them to do it. 

20 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The proper avenue would be for Royal to charge the shipping of the 2 bags to the individual who made the mistake.  Royal knowing what happened should have subsidized the wronged individual.

One time I made a mistake as I was in a hurry and walked out with the wrong bag.  I did not realize it until I was out of the terminal.  Spoke immediately to a Custom officer and was told no one is allowed until all passengers are out.  I needed to make a flight and decided to have Royal ship it to me.  My bad and I paid for it.  The other frustrating part is that when I called to make shipping arrangement, I was never told that the shipping company would not take CC, Cash or personal checks.  The delivery person only wanted a certified check and had to come back the next day to re-deliver the bag.

Now I have some of the ugliest bags that look like a cow and can be spotted a mile away.  On my last 2 cruises my bags were left some 15+ cabins away and I was able to spot the bag immediately😜 I also have pom poms attached to the handle.

We should compare suitcases....mine are also ugly with wild print that looks like a cow...(or something it ate anyway) as well.  😄 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, island lady said:

Another reason we use really wild print suitcases...have never seen anything like them (in fact Tumi discontinued that print quite soon after).  Actually I think anyone else would be embarrassed to walk out with them.  They are that tacky looking!  😛

An option that works even better for me is travelling only with carry ons . Only a couple times has my wife grabbed my bag by accident ! 😏

Cheers

• Haha 1

Just now, LobsterStalker said:

An option that works even better for me is travelling only with carry ons . Only a couple times has my wife grabbed my bag by accident ! 😏

Cheers

LOL...wish I could do just carry on bags.  Our cruises have become a bit lengthy now...and need my shoes.  😄 

• Like 1

One time people a couple doors down took my arriving luggage out of the hallway and couldn't open it because it has a (TSA) lock on it. (And a colorful marker.) So they called "security" onboard to open it. A crew member came and cut the lock off and then they saw it wasn't their luggage.

Sometimes it's just impossible to avoid stupid.

• Haha 16

We almost had this happen to us. Two women took one of our bags on our last trip, but fortunately returned it before they left the cruise port. We had to wait for the bag to be screened again and cleared by security, but they had to wait for all passengers to leave to get back in to get their bag. We were pissed a passenger was so careless as to not check their bag, but grateful they at least realized it before flying/driving off. Could have been much worse as you note. Honestly, I’m glad they had to wait to get in, as hopefully that minor inconvenience encourages them to be more careful going forward. We plan to add more obvious tags going forward. But we never even considered blaming the Porter…

So yes, it’s theft. They can talk to the police re filing a report if the don’t get it back (or even if the do). Cost shouldn’t be on them. Hope you have a good inventory of items. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...wish I could do just carry on bags.  Our cruises have become a bit lengthy now...and need my shoes.  😄 

yeah , there's definitely a trade off for the convenience , but with all the troubles (with the airlines much more than the cruise lines) , we have gone this way exclusively for the past few trips. It is nice to not have to wonder whether your bag is gonna make it to final destination. Have never lost any but have had them disappear for a few hours and got them back eventually . If I lived where you lived I would think differently for sure !

We pulled it off on the 19 day trip we just returned from

Cheers

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, marci22 said:

One time people a couple doors down took my arriving luggage out of the hallway and couldn't open it because it has a (TSA) lock on it. (And a colorful marker.) So they called "security" onboard to open it. A crew member came and cut the lock off and then they saw it wasn't their luggage.

Sometimes it's just impossible to avoid stupid.

On our trip we just returned from we had a letter in our stateroom on night 3 stating that someone was still missing a piece of luggage and asking everyone to make sure they didn't have it . If I had someone elses luggage for 3 days I'm betting I would have realized the clothes weren't fitting just right before that !

Cheers

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

On our trip we just returned from we had a letter in our stateroom on night 3 stating that someone was still missing a piece of luggage and asking everyone to make sure they didn't have it . If I had someone elses luggage for 3 days I'm betting I would have realized the clothes weren't fitting just right before that !

Cheers

Same thing I was on Liberty. I wonder if they ever got it.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

The proper avenue would be for Royal to charge the shipping of the 2 bags to the individual who made the mistake.  Royal knowing what happened should have subsidized the wronged individual.

One time I made a mistake as I was in a hurry and walked out with the wrong bag.  I did not realize it until I was out of the terminal.  Spoke immediately to a Custom officer and was told no one is allowed until all passengers are out.  I needed to make a flight and decided to have Royal ship it to me.  My bad and I paid for it.  The other frustrating part is that when I called to make shipping arrangement, I was never told that the shipping company would not take CC, Cash or personal checks.  The delivery person only wanted a certified check and had to come back the next day to re-deliver the bag.

Now I have some of the ugliest bags that look like a cow and can be spotted a mile away.  On my last 2 cruises my bags were left some 15+ cabins away and I was able to spot the bag immediately😜 I also have pom poms attached to the handle.

I forgot one of our bags last year. I thought one of the kids grabbed it. I realized as soon as we walked outside. I was told the same that they couldn't get it for me until everyone had cleared customs. I stood outside for 2 hours waiting. Luckily we didn't have a flight to catch. 🙄

Just now, marci22 said:

I think people vastly underestimate stupid. If you accept stupid, you will be much less stressed when stupid happens.

OK, though when we do something stupid we may need to pay a “stupid tax.”  This time the “stupid tax” is the time and cost of shipping luggage to rightful owners.  The “stupid tax” is higher if “stupid” does not buy insurance and that luggage is lost or damaged in shipping.

• Like 1

If people insist on getting black luggage, at least get a wild print cover for them. Definitely easier to spot. My new luggage is black with tan edging, so easier to see than all black, but I got covers for all of the sizes. Plus, I have AirTags in them too.

I saw a funny saying…why are we working on artificial intelligence, when we should be working more on natural stupidity. 

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

If people insist on getting black luggage, at least get a wild print cover for them. Definitely easier to spot. My new luggage is black with tan edging, so easier to see than all black, but I got covers for all of the sizes. Plus, I have AirTags in them too.

I saw a funny saying…why are we working on artificial intelligence, when we should be working more on natural stupidity. 

The luggage brand I prefer unfortunately only comes in black. But I do put several colorful tags on them plus a bright green TSA lock. I also have AirTags. 

• Like 1

I don't see ANY blame to go onto Royal.  ALL of the blame goes to the person who grabbed the wrong bag.  They should be responsible for returning the luggage to you and at their expense. 

And how did you get in touch with them if Royal didn't help?

1 hour ago, dcgrumpy said:

That's 100% the fault of the other guest. And they saw a ribbon they didn't recognize and instead of checking to make sure they had the correct luggage they asked the porter? That sounds either made up or just stupid. 

And then how did they not check the bag if the porter said the ribbon meant it was damaged?  I would want to know what's wrong with my bag before leaving.  Somebody is making up a story and it's not Royal.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FL-momma said:

My sister returned after her Independence sailing on 10/20/23 to find her bag missing.  After waiting 2 hours, the RCCL people said there were two people missing bags and two bags left unclaimed.  It appeared that someone had left with the wrong bags.  RCCL gave her the claim information and a website (chargerback.com) where she could file a claim online for her missing bag.

Later that day, my sister got a call from one of the other guests who said they had gotten her bag by mistake and were missing their two bags.  My sister called C&A (she is D+) who transferred her to the post-cruise department.  She explained what happened, and asked how she could get her bag back now that they knew where it was. The rep said that the couple who took the bag is responsible for getting the bag back to her and that RCCL was not responsible.  They did confirm, however, that they would certainly be sending the two bags from the terminal to the couple in SC. 

WTH???   The people who screwed up get their bags back free of charge, but my sister who did everything she was supposed to do has to pay to get her bag back?!?!  (or depend on the people who screwed up in the first place to get her bag back to her).  Seems very unfair to me.

It turns out the bags were brand new (a gift) so the woman that took them wasn't that familiar with what they looked like, but she did ask the porter why there was a ribbon on the handle of her bag that wasn't there before.  They were going into the parking garage at the time, and the porter made up some BS story about RCCL putting a ribbon on the bag if there was any damage.  He didn't check the tags to make sure they were correct or tell them to recheck the tags to make sure they had the right bags.  He just quickly loaded them in the car, took his tip and headed back inside.  If he hadn't been in such a hurry to get to his next tip, he might have been able to save everyone a lot of trouble and expense.

I know we have sailed through a number of ports where there are signs saying that tipping is not permitted.  Perhaps Canaveral should change their policy so that tipping is not permitted.  Then maybe mistakes like that might not happen.

What do you guys think?

Unfortunately, it happens.  I was once the other people and grabbed someone else’s bag.  Same bag, tag and lock (so mea culpa, I didn’t read the tag).  This turned out not to be bad.  The people’s whose bag I picked up, saw only one bag left that looked like theirs with someone else’s name.  They called my number.  I was on the transfer bus for the airport.  Good fortune, they were going to be on the same bus.  Really nice people, I felt quite foolish.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, akcruz said:

And then how did they not check the bag if the porter said the ribbon meant it was damaged?  I would want to know what's wrong with my bag before leaving.  Somebody is making up a story and it's not Royal.

You are overthinking 'stupid'.

That's why we never set out luggage out the night before. April '23 we were setting in the airport and the person next me to got a call. She was told that she had the wrong luggage and her piece was still at the port.  She was so upset and they we were ready to start boarding.  She left it at the gate for Delta to set it aside for the person headed to the airport.  Not sure how she got her piece back. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FL-momma said:

What do you guys think?

I think you've created a narrative in which tipping is the problem, but that doesn't make it a true story.  

The real problem here is stupidity.  Remember that half the population is below average!  

Not to rub salt in the wound, but this is a case study in why you should use Self-Disembarkation.  With wheeled luggage, it's not really difficult for anyone who's able bodied; and your luggage can't be lost /taken by mistake if it's in your own hand.  

13 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

That passenger took other people’s property.  She’d better promptly return that property, at her expense, before she is charged with theft.

At a glance, I'd say taking the bag was an accident. 

Keeping it -- now that she fully knows it's not hers -- would be theft.  I'd guess it's going to be quite expensive to mail the suitcase -- at least $100.  

Regardless, what can your sister do about it?  Does she even know the name of the South Carolina woman who has it?  She could potentially take the woman to small claims court, but that would be difficult and expensive (assuming you live far away).  She's really at that woman's mercy.  

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Another reason we use really wild print suitcases...have never seen anything like them (in fact Tumi discontinued that print quite soon after).  Actually I think anyone else would be embarrassed to walk out with them.  They are that tacky looking!  😛

Tacky is practical in this case!  

Consider that you can buy brightly patterned covers that stretch over suitcases too.  Considerably less expensive than new luggage.  

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Respectfully, you WANT lots of shoes.  

• Haha 2