Baggage Trouble at Port Canaveral - RCCL no help!

FL-momma

12 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

Same here!  I hand stencilled stars and circles on all my luggage.  Very distinctive!  Tacky? - definitely.  But I highly prefer my tacky bags and the looks they may generate to putting up with stolen/mistaken luggage and the aggravation that entails.  

Absolutely right on!!  😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Picky, picky.  Unfortunately my father was a fisherman 🤣

No...not unfortunate!  It's a noble pass time and career.  🙂   We used to fish all the time, but now...for some reason cruising got in the way.  😉 

20 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Picky, picky.  Unfortunately my father was a fisherman 🤣

Will your next set of luggage have a scale pattern?  The airline baggage handlers can probably add gill openings.🤣

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We tie a distinct piece of fabric to the handle as well as luggage tag with our last initial. If someone takes our bag, they did on purpose!  

I don't think it is necessarily on purpose. My bag was tagged. Marked with colorful tape. Locked! The cruiser still called for assistance and RC cut my lock. I don't think it was purposeful. I think it was stupid.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

I have you all beat in the ugly department…….I place strips of lime green duct tape on all side of my luggage.  You can easily spot my suitcases 100 yards away!!!😂😂😂

And NO ONE would want suitcases with duct tape on them????😂😂😂😂

I have duct tape on mine!

2 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

I have duct tape on mine!

Yeah, but that does not necessarily stop “stupid” you thinks, “Oh, my bag must have been damaged so, someone put duct tape on it.”  It is really hard to stop stupid.

A few years ago we were on a 9:30 shared shuttle with an extended family that arrived at FLL at 5:30am on a red eye and claimed their luggage.  They sat in the airport with the luggage for 4 hours until their scheduled shuttle.  Half way to POM, a phone rings.  A woman is told by the airline she has the wrong bag.  “Impossible, I picked my bag because it is an unusual color.  Plus I have a distinctive luggage tag,” she says.  The airline says they have her bag and another passenger looking for a similar bag.  Our  shuttle returns to the airport.  The woman acts indignant.  Turns out she just purchased the bag at a major retailer with that “distinctive tag” attached to every one of them.  There are lots of bags like hers.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

For $30 online you can get a slipcover for your bag made with a giant headshot. 
I’ve not done it, but my SIL has. Pretty funny, and no way anytime would mistake his bag!

Just found some on Amazon for $19 - $26...  I'm thinking of buying them.

https://www.amazon.com/Personalized-Washable-Anti-Scratch-Protector-Suitcase/dp/B09Y12KFBW/ref=sr_1_13_sspa?keywords=luggage%2Bcovers&qid=1698163610&sr=8-13-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

This happened to me at the airport once.  My bag was not there and all the bags were gone except for one that resembled my bag.  I concluded this bag was the person's that accidentally (but foolishly) took my bag.  I told the airline that I was going to keep their bag to make sure they would return mine.  The airline assured me that the bag would not be released without the owner paying for the return of my bag.

That is what happened as the other party paid to have my bag shipped to me before their bag was released to them.  Seems like a good way to do it.  Of course the airport was local to both parties which makes it easier.

The guy who took my bag was an older gentleman with an English accent.  He called me and told me he went to get his pajamas out of the bag and said to his wife "This isn't my bloody bag".  I had to laugh and couldn't even get mad.

• Like 1

I just bought a new suitcase last night, and it's not quite as distinctive as I'd like.  

For my leaving-on-Friday cruise, I'm going to decorate it with some pink unicorn duct tape I have.  And I'm going to make /laminate some tags that say THIS IS NOT YOUR BAG.  I'm going to order a stretchy cover for future cruises.  

On our last cruise, when we were in the terminal collecting our bags, I see my blue bag, with my yellow ID card, and my green Not Your Bag sleeve over the handle…except there is a beige yarn pom-pom tied to it.  I did not have a pom-pom.  Even though I am certain this is my bag I flip open the ID tag to read my name.  I guess someone else’s pom-pom came off and someone mistakenly tied it to my bag.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

On our last cruise, when we were in the terminal collecting our bags, I see my blue bag, with my yellow ID card, and my green Not Your Bag sleeve over the handle…except there is a beige yarn pom-pom tied to it.  I did not have a pom-pom.  Even though I am certain this is my bag I flip open the ID tag to read my name.  I guess someone else’s pom-pom came off and someone mistakenly tied it to my bag.  

A porter once told me the cruiselines sometimes ties Pom-poms to damaged bags😉🤣

• Haha 10

On 10/23/2023 at 1:56 PM, NC State said:

That's why we never set out luggage out the night before. April '23 we were setting in the airport and the person next me to got a call. She was told that she had the wrong luggage and her piece was still at the port.  She was so upset and they we were ready to start boarding.  She left it at the gate for Delta to set it aside for the person headed to the airport.  Not sure how she got her piece back. 

and only carry-on (saving all air/luggage related troubles like not able to quickly change a flight to another available flight if you flight is canceled with a checked-in luggage)

15 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We have these for all of our luggage.  We just purchased our 3rd set, but we paid around $18 for each of them on Amazon.  We get so many compliments on them and I have never seen anyone on any of our cruises with the same ones, it makes things so much easier.  Our luggage after 30+ trips in the last 2 years looks brand new except for the wheels.  We just wash them when we get home.  

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 2:40 AM, FL-momma said:

Yes, but when the passenger questioned the ribbon on the bag, it seems the porter should have told her to recheck the bags.  

She should’ve known to check it herself.

• Like 4

On 10/23/2023 at 6:48 PM, time4u2go said:

This is basically what I had said.  Yes it's theft, but what can realistically be done about it?  What jurisdiction would any legal activity fall under, with this incident involving people and actions in multiple states?  This isn't a TV show.

I believe it would be the state where she took the wrong luggage since that’s where the incident happened.

19 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

The guy who took my bag was an older gentleman with an English accent.  He called me and told me he went to get his pajamas out of the bag and said to his wife "This isn't my bloody bag".  I had to laugh and couldn't even get mad.

Interesting, the only time I've had someone take my bag (also at Canaveral) it was a British couple.

I called the number on the bag that they left behind (which wasn't even the same shade of purple as mine that they took) and I got their son back in England.  He tried calling his folks but they were driving to Orlando.  He eventually got in touch with them after I was already at the airport, and they had to drive back to Canaveral with my bag and pick up theirs.  

Royal did FedEx my bag to my house... I don't know if they charged the "thief" for the shipping costs or not. 

Our in laws had a bag of their go missing as well from the terminal post cruise.  Another cruiser took the bag by mistake.  A couple of hours after realizing the mistake, they returned the bag to the port.  RCCL was good enough to forward it to their home in Canada.  They were told that RCCL would cover the cost of the shipping of the bag, but when it arrived, our in laws were told that shipping of the bag was not covered, and they would have to pay it on the spot, or they could not have their bag back.  This seems to happen too often.

We ALWAYS carry off our own bags in the morning now for this reason.  It eliminates the possibility of someone taking our bag by mistake.

5 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

They were told that RCCL would cover the cost of the shipping of the bag, but when it arrived, our in laws were told that shipping of the bag was not covered, and they would have to pay it on the spot, or they could not have their bag back.

I wonder if it was the SHIPPING cost or the CUSTOMS fee that they had to pay?