richwmn

Today is Mother-In-Law Day, National Mole Day, and TV Talk Show Host Day

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. - Jim Carrey

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken and Rice Soup
Drink of the Day - Cran Apple Martini
Wine of the Day - 2020 Planet Oregon Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Gisborne, New Zealand

Today in History:
1977 Paleontologist Elso Barghoorn announces discovery of a 3.4-billion year old one-celled fossil, one of the earliest life forms on Earth

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Panama Canal (Cruising Canal)

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC, CA eta 10/24

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Scheduled to depart about 09:00 0000-1700

Nieuw Statendam

Mykonos, Greece 1200-1700

Noordam

Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia 1400[+1]2300

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece 1000-1700

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 0900-1700

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Coquimbo (La Serena), Chile eta 10-26

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Rades, Tunisia eta 10/24

Eastern Hemisphere

Volendam

At Sea Destination Suva, Fiji eta 10/24

Westerdam

Sasebo, Japan 0800-1700

1023World.thumb.png.b8607addc29197b7e55c2271ec24961a.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 16

Good morning from a cold, partly sunny 46°F North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

My mother in law was lovely and her 5th memory was October 18th.

Paulines mother in law my dear late mam was also very kind to us both.

Her 12th memory will be on November 2nd.

An interesting and probably true quote today.

Today's food sounds good.

We have never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 offered to everyone who is unwell.

Best wishes for all Dailyites to have a pain free and nice day.

Screenshot_20231023_114359.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Never had a Mother in Law, and Talk show hosts run the gamut from the nice to some I would avoid like the plague.  I had to look up Mole Day, and it's for the chemical unit of measurement, not the thing that grows on your skin, nor the burrowing pest.

It seems with the Elso Baghoorn discovery today should be National Fossil day, didn't we just have it within the last few days.

I was scheduled to visit Gisborne on Crystal Symphony in 2018 but something came up and we missed the port.  Interesting quote by Carey.

The Chicken and Rice sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Grape and Cranberry Soup, Ribeye Steak and Cherry Sundae as served on MS Amsterdam October 23, 2017.  Sadly I forgot to take a picture.

Roy

• Like 34

Good morning friends!  Happy Monday!  We are having a chilly 46F morning.  Hoping to see 73 and partly sunny/cloudy skies and with no rain.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I hope the Nieuw Amsterdam azipod repairs are nearly complete and successful.

I love celebrating Mother In Law Day.  My DSIL lost his Mother last year and enjoys his special relationship with me (and my DH).  My own DMIL has passed as many here remember her struggle in her last years.  If Mole Day was referring to the nasty rodents that tear up the lawn, I would say no thank you!  I'm glad to read it's about chemistry!!  I enjoy a few TV talk show hosts but there are many who don't seem to want to entertain anymore.  No fun!  The quote is funny though.  The chicken and rice soup sounds good but no thanks to the martini or red wine.  An interesting prehistoric discovery on this date in 1977.  Thanks today to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports.

Prayers said today already for my DB, Susan and her DH Scott as well as her terminally ill DB Mark, the people of Israel and Ukraine, and the many on our Care list.  Special thoughts to Melisa @HAL Sailer, Maureen @RMLincoln, Terri @Cruzin Terri, and Vanessa @JazzyV  Safe travels today to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Steve as well as a good report.  Fingers crossed Jacqui @kazu makes it home okay after her disappointing experience yesterday.  Ivan will be so happy to see her!  Prayers for my friend Sandy as she is having the same issues many here are caring for her increasingly dependent DH due to dementia.  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping!  Hope you had a better night's sleep.

Our port today is Gisborne, New Zealand.  It has been here twice before on Feb. 21, 2022 and Nov. 20, 2022.  I haven't been to that particular port but would love to go.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving photos.

I hope all of you have a safe and well day!

• Like 28

Cran Apple Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Sour Apple Schnapps
1/2 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
2 parts Cranberry Juice

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 6.58.09 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It promises to be a beautiful chilly day.  My first thought on National Mole day was mole sauce, it’s so good.  Thanks @grapau27 for your explanation.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good although I will make the ham today.  Yesterday it was nice to watch the Rotterdam depart.  I see that the NA is confirmed for 8 so maybe I’ll get to see it leave this morning.  Wishing everyone a nice day today.

image.png.4668fa56f3f6bf0f5c37be5b4e6e4f45.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator, CPAP trials

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH’s post-op check today

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

NextOne post valve replacement surgery 10/17

57redbird’s DH Mike post external nerve ablation for afib 10/18

HAL Sailer’s DH recovering after hospitalization

Cruzin Terri having to cancel her trip

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief, safe travels to Montreal

Vict0riann’s DS’s 58th Birthday!

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott moved to rehab

Ger_77 enjoying the family time in Calgary

Cruising-along’s friend Rhonda w/kidney stones, new DM, discharged home

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL discharged to rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest Oct 24 to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami)

4 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica Oct 27 to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau)

5 days for Seagarsmoker (Eurodam Oct 28 to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer)

6 days for Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam Oct 29 to Nov 9, Adriatic Dream, celebrating 33rd anniversary onboard)

Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal), Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to Oct 28, Canada & NE), Smmesineo (Celebrity Equinox to Oct 28, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Monday!

A cool morning, only 2°C (36°F) but it's supposed to warm up this afternoon.  Too early to walk Bertie.

An interesting collection of days.  I don't have a mother-in-law, she passed away 38 years ago this weekend.  She was a lovely person.  My hubby has a very nice mother-in-law.   Graham, thanks for the explanation of Mole Day.   Some talk show hosts are entertaining, many are not.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes, that would be better than opening a can.  The drink sounds good too, I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for our world.

Hope everyone has a good day, I hope this is the start of a good week.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

We had our first freze warning for the season overnight. Currently it is 35 Degrees - and dark.

I haven't posted photos of my granddaughter lately.  Lily is just a real bundle of joy!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

PSX_20231020_183422.thumb.jpg.c5750e96e9813e1b6c50a0128ce3902f.jpg

1019231320c.thumb.jpg.488d2cc65ffde4994234c214e7963e70.jpg

1019231325a.thumb.jpg.280d3dada21fe3beca8a650b2bee70c8.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Day 3 of not being able to bold any words. 🤔

Another lovely start to the day - already 62. Venus, Jupiter, Orion & the Big Dipper were a sight to behold. 

Vanessa, praying that the epidural kicks in & you find relief for your pain. Thank you for keeping up with us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & hunting down a couple of folk to do some skilled work. 

IMG_1875.jpeg.a5d9150495c478887fb417ec4e1ad4a9.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg.3452a92d36f435b63dac1e5cf7a62f31.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg.4e185a1f6ddab6892df3de75feb47d26.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & support teams. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, thank you for the update on your DH. You have seen some great advice from women who have walked the same path. Please take care of yourself, too. 

@Cruzin Terri Terri, I am sorry you cancelled your cruise. I pray your situation improves so you can plan another one. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2020 Planet Oregon Pinot Noir

This Pinot Noir sounds nice. I know I have never tasted a “lithe” wine before. Have any of you? Available from a decent number of distributors with prices starting at a reasonable $16.99.

Winemaker Notes

Classic Oregon Pinot Noir with flavors of ripe dark cherries and Oregon bramble berries. While lithe and versatile, this wine shows a deep core of fruit and has an ample body with substantial richness for a young wine. Firm tannins and notes of spice add to the lingering finish.

WS92 Wine Spectator
This Pinot layers in the complexity and tension, showing accents of raspberry and cherry that are laced with dusky spice and black tea. Drink now through 2028.
WE90 Wine Enthusiast
This is a sharp and detailed young wine, with tight blackberry fruit that etches its way into your palate. Aged for eight months in neutral barrels, this puts a tart and peppery spin on its lightly chewy tannins. Drink now and through the next half decade.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Another cool fall day in store.  I must say that I’m loving the feeling of not having to go to the office on Monday morning!  Nothing too exciting about moles to a non-chemist.  My DMIL passed away twelve years ago, she is still missed a great deal.  Hats off to talk show hosts, the first one that I was aware of as a kid in Detroit was Rita Bell. I believe it was regional.  A funny quote today.  The soup sounds nice, it’s that time of year for chicken soup.  I’ll pass on the drink.  The wine sounds nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events!

• Like 28

34 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

We had our first freze warning for the season overnight. Currently it is 35 Degrees - and dark.

I haven't posted photos of my granddaughter lately.  Lily is just a real bundle of joy!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

PSX_20231020_183422.thumb.jpg.c5750e96e9813e1b6c50a0128ce3902f.jpg

1019231320c.thumb.jpg.488d2cc65ffde4994234c214e7963e70.jpg

1019231325a.thumb.jpg.280d3dada21fe3beca8a650b2bee70c8.jpg

Those curls! That sweet smile!
Jack, Lily is adorable!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful days here in Maryland, sunny and 60s again, later. I wish we were out kayaking. The algae bloom at the lake is over and it’s open again but we are buried in moving chores. I’m so glad we enjoyed to while we could. 

Avagadro’s conceptual breakthrough made Chemistry “think” differently, simpler in spite of a number so huge we can’t get our heads around it. I salute him, and the concept of the Mole!  

Thank you Sandi, and all for you ongoing support as I keep sorting and packing… and waiting to hear if the legal approval happens. What will be will be, and I will be ok!  

Blessings Melissa, Lenda, Sandi’s friends Sandy and Scott, Terry, Terri, Karen, MaryKay, Vanessa, Susan, Jacqui, Gerry… Blessings to All here, and All in need of healing, comfort, hope, direction… near and far.  Life is Good!  

🌹Congratulations to those celebrating. Welcome home to those returning. There’s no place like home!  Smooth travels to all away… we have so many on cruises now!  And more who are having fun prepping and planning!  Enjoy it all! 

Have a great day 10- 23-23. Thanks for being here. 

Maureen 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I am back. Last week was insanely busy as I tried to catch up after being in Colorado for a conference. I think I am finally caught up. I have another busy week ahead. 

It finally looks fall like here and the temperatures have been much cooler. The leaves are changing color and I love it. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.jpeg.3e85d692cfefdbc4d19885840c9c4e1e.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Our temperature here is the same as Sandi’s @StLouisCruisers but will only reach sixty later. The sun is out.

I remember moles from several chemistry classes but have not needed them in life.I had a wonderful mother in law and hope I am a good one now.I have not been to the port and would like today’s recipe.

Yesterday we took the dogs to a local park with quite a few other residents. It was so nice to be out in the sun.

IMG_0481.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Those curls! That sweet smile!
Jack, Lily is adorable!

I will proudly say that she gets them from my side of the family. Yes, when I had hair mine was curly too! My daughter (Lily's mom) is a mirror image to my mother. 

• Like 22

Good morning from a still dark, but not rainy central Texas.  As usual with Texas weather, the forecast changed -- AGAIN!  😁  Now, the rain is predicted to begin Thursday, just like the original forecast.  It is 72F and feels like 72F with 92% humidity and a dewpoint of 70F.  If it's not raining when we are on the road to and from Dallas, I can live with the humidity, even if I don't like it, and neither does my hair.  Our high today will be 82F, and this looks like the last week of warm weather.  At least, next week's highs are predicted to be in the 50s and 60s, but by the following week, it should be back in the 70s.  

No mothers-in-law as our mothers and step-mothers are all gone.  I did have two good mothers-in-law, and I try to be a good mother-in-law to our DSILs.  My first thought about mole day was the pesky law critters, but thanks to Graham @grapau27 I know it's a chemistry thing, and way beyond my pay grade.  Younger DD will understand the day since she majored in chemistry.  Like everything else, talk shows have changed a lot in the past 50+ years, but even today some talk show hosts are better than others.

The Jim Carrey quote made me laugh.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  Chicken soup would be good, but I'm not a fan of rice in my soup.  I'd like to try the wine.

Gisborne is another NZ port we have not visited.

An interesting discovery by Elso Barghoorn in 1977.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandy, thanks for the good wishes today.  I'm glad Scott was able to move to rehab.  That should help boost his and Susan's morale as they face a long recovery.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope you have safe and uneventful flights today.

@Heartgrove  Cute pictures of a cute little girl.  My mother also had curly red hair.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you and the dogs along with other family members got to enjoy the park yesterday.  It's amazing what a difference time outside on a sunny day can make.

394564250_1933211783746385_2379374384161298779_n.jpg.e875df444642d1bcefc7e6b7a798fe96.jpg

394274201_749990870474713_7298607971225243676_n.jpg.33803b99a05d62260d90a8f23eea91ab.jpg

391626504_24283203017993415_8539483277143360412_n.jpg.7497f359119adc192e30acacd7f40eab.jpg

391557286_867963194891908_5600747347076349218_n.thumb.jpg.54e1ba00a3e0fa4106028254f8e89d43.jpg

393293104_382185527468072_3477241637446164994_n.jpg.9d9334e44b2ad3fccf6b0d29ffd1b185.jpg

391718195_881440076675104_8067725837714821931_n.jpg.00740119dfa13dbbbe6c474c2f649f6a.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 16