Elite breakfast is a buffet on Solstice. I like this better

fstuff1

When I was on Infinity earlier this year the Elite breakfast had a small menu you ordered from.

With this buffet style on Solstice, all the foods that were available on the menu is out on the tables near the entrance.

I like it better.

It's also less work on the servers. They now just get your drinks (coffee, oj, etc).

Hopefully this carries to the rest of the ships

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 3

The general rule is that the Buffet style is not allowed when sailing on closed loop cruises out of the US.  From other locations, the menu style prevails as long as there are fewer than some critical number of elites.  When the number of Elites is greater than that threshold, they change to the Buffet style.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

The general rule is that the Buffet style is not allowed when sailing on closed loop cruises out of the US.  From other locations, the menu style prevails as long as there are fewer than some critical number of elites.  When the number of Elites is greater than that threshold, they change to the Buffet style.

Why the caveat about closed loop cruises out of the US not allowing them even if there are a lot of elites?

• Like 2

Just now, cruisestitch said:

US public health laws seem to come into play in different ways when the ship sails in and out of US ports 

How is the main buffet (oceanview cafe) different from the elite breakfast, though?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good question, I don’t know the answer, I have only been told that the buffets were designed to be buffets and restaurants where the breakfasts are held were not.

I do recall that several years ago the Buffet style was the norm in Tuscan.  The serving area in the center of the restaurant was used.  But it had to be discontinued because that area was carpeted and buffets are not allowed on a carpeted surface.  The entryway location they currently use is not a carpeted surface

there are lots of little details like that which USPH requires that we don’t know anything about.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I do recall that several years ago the Buffet style was the norm in Tuscan.  The serving area in the center of the restaurant was used.  But it had to be discontinued because that area was carpeted and buffets are not allowed on a carpeted surface.  The entryway location they currently use is not a carpeted surface

there are lots of little details like that which USPH requires that we don’t know anything about.

hm.. the seating area in the oceanview cafe buffet is carpeted

Hope the buffet option has Apple juice, as it’s not offered on the ‘menu.’

Due to the tablets that I take, I cannot have citrus fruits, so grapefruit and orange options are a ‘no, no.’

Sometimes a waiter is willing to go to Blu to get me apple juice, other times they are unwilling.

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Hope the buffet option has Apple juice, as it’s not offered on the ‘menu.’

Due to the tablets that I take, I cannot have citrus fruits, so grapefruit and orange options are a ‘no, no.’

Sometimes a waiter is willing to go to Blu to get me apple juice, other times they are unwilling.

On S class ships Tuscan and Blue are adjacent so that request is easy.

on M class and e class they are far away so it would be extremely difficult to go there to get your juice.

Just now, cruisestitch said:

On S class ships Tuscan and Blue are adjacent so that request is easy.

on M class and e class they are far away so it would be extremely difficult to go there to get your juice.

I was on Silhouette.

I agree.  I would prefer to have a buffet for the Elite breakfast.  On our last cruise Silhouette from Southampton there were so many of us that the crew was running like crazy, the hostess was bussing tables and there was a wait for tables and servic.  I don't mind the menu (although I would add yogurt with fruit) and certainly don't mind serving myself. 

Just throwing my $0.02 in ... I just earned Elite status after my last cruise and haven't actually experienced the Elite breakfast yet...

With that said, given what I've read... If there's no protein (minimum of eggs or yogurt), I don't see the point at all. I'd love a quick and easy buffet option reserved for elites which is a bit less hectic than the OceanView Cafe... but I can't be the only person who has to control their blood sugar by keeping it relatively low carb, and it seems like there's zero option for me on the Elite breakfast menu.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, someguyfl said:

Just throwing my $0.02 in ... I just earned Elite status after my last cruise and haven't actually experienced the Elite breakfast yet...

With that said, given what I've read... If there's no protein (minimum of eggs or yogurt), I don't see the point at all. I'd love a quick and easy buffet option reserved for elites which is a bit less hectic than the OceanView Cafe... but I can't be the only person who has to control their blood sugar by keeping it relatively low carb, and it seems like there's zero option for me on the Elite breakfast menu.

We prefer the MDR for breakfast over the Elite breakfast and especially over the OVC. 

1 minute ago, doghog said:

We prefer the MDR for breakfast over the Elite breakfast and especially over the OVC. 

I agree. I prefer MDR, Blu, or Luminae for breakfast when time allows. The only time I'd consider a different option is if time was not available for a long sit-down breakfast ... Which seems to be what the Elite breakfast is going for with their "coffeehouse style breakfast" ...

For me, on a day with a long excursion that starts very early, I'm going to be starting at the OVC most likely, and I doubt I'll be seeing the Elite breakfast at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, someguyfl said:

I agree. I prefer MDR, Blu, or Luminae for breakfast when time allows. The only time I'd consider a different option is if time was not available for a long sit-down breakfast ... Which seems to be what the Elite breakfast is going for with their "coffeehouse style breakfast" ...

For me, on a day with a long excursion that starts very early, I'm going to be starting at the OVC most likely, and I doubt I'll be seeing the Elite breakfast at all.

If you don't have the CBP or the PBP the Elite style breakfast is great for Bloody Marys, Mimosas, and Bellinis.  And for those that like specialty coffees. 

1 hour ago, someguyfl said:

On the two Reflection cruises we've been on they also had cold cuts, cheeses and smoked salmon as proteins if that makes any difference for you. I'm not sure they do that on all sailings as we've haven't been on that many.

1 hour ago, someguyfl said:

I agree with you.  This is why we do not attend it very often. 

Give me two eggs over easy, a slab of country ham, and some grits any day over donuts and pastries. 

Though as my fellow @2chiefs said, we have seen cold cuts available in the Elite Breakfast buffet in the past  We only went once on our last cruise and I cannot recall if they had cold cuts or not.  I believe they did but cannot swear to it. 

Edited by DaKahuna

4 hours ago, someguyfl said:

Look again…..There’s meat, salmon, cheese, yogurt.  Just no cooked food like eggs or omelettes

AE26DF8A-7889-497C-900D-553D7478BBF7.jpeg

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Good question, I don’t know the answer, I have only been told that the buffets were designed to be buffets and restaurants where the breakfasts are held were not.

Oh, I wonder if that is why there is no more buffet during bunch at Palo on DCL. I thought it was just a cost cutting thing, but perhaps it is more to it.

20 hours ago, someguyfl said:

How is the main buffet (oceanview cafe) different from the elite breakfast, though?

Elite lite  bkfst..  limited selection, no cooked meals but  it is usually much  quieter..fewer  people,  calmer.. mimosas other  bkfst coffee drinks..Fresh coffee.. Cap Club Rep usually there. 

Either way..plated selections served by waiter or  a buffet spread. we prefer it unless we want waffles. 

Our main assignment is in BLU but sometimes the Lite breakfast us all we want and is quicker..