Microwaves Machines for guest use on HAL

2LoveBikes

I have always wondered why all or most cabins don't have microwaves.  As was pointed out above, there is one in the Pinnacle Suite on all ships, so it can't be a safety concern.  It could be a space issue for some cabins, but the Neptune and Signature Suites certainly have room for one, but they don't have them either.

• Like 1

I suspect several reasons.  A microwave draws a lot of power and would require additional wiring.  And while safer than many cooking methods, they can still be a fire hazard.  And finally, cooking can create odors which could impact neighboring cabins. 

• Like 12

Years ago, an employee in my office accidentally set her microwave popcorn to 30 minutes (instead of 3) in our lunchroom. The bag caught fire, ruined the microwave, and the burnt popcorn smell permeated the entire floor (for weeks!)  Just sayin'.... 😲

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, badtwin said:

A microwave draws a lot of power and would require additional wiring.

No different than a hair drier that is in all rooms.  They are approximately the same wattage and there is no special wiring required.

• Like 1

Just imagine.....leftovor foods and mess with people leaving food in the room......moldy food.....!!!

That sounds like a huge nightmare to clean and sanitize besides the other reasons mentioned above!  

~Nancy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Just imagine.....leftovor foods and mess with people leaving food in the room......moldy food.....!!!

That sounds like a huge nightmare to clean and sanitize besides the other reasons mentioned above!  

~Nancy

Exactly - who would be responsible for cleaning them?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

Bringing my own Popcorn and popping it underway is far from my idea of a fun night on cruise.  On the Pinnacle ships they have popcorn by the pool during movies.  

Agree. Always chuckle about people bringing food to a buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@2LoveBikes  I feel your pain.  Every post cruise survey I mention what I call the popcorn issue.  Why on earth they don't have snacking popcorn on the ships - an inexpensive, healthful snack is beyond me.  The Pinnacle ships have the deli serving it but only for evening hours and the other ships USED to have it only on movie theater showings.  Sadly the last movie showing I went to this month offered no popcorn.  It is just tragic and sad and I definitely feel your pain as I, too, am a dedicated popcorn muncher.  Sprinkle some cheese and tabasco and I have a meal.

I understand not having a microwave in the room but how about coffee pots in all rooms or at least the availability to rent one as RCCL allows.

• Like 1

The idea of microwaves in the cabins is a non starter. I suspect the one in the "Butler's Pantry" of the Pinnacle suite is there fore the use of the butler, not the guests. Imagine the destruction possible from some irresponsible passenger (and we all know there are some on every cruise) who leaves something in there for way too long, as others have mentioned in this thread.

I think they should have popcorn available included in your fare, especially for movies. For those with reactions to the smell of popcorn that's unfortunate, I guess you don't go to the movies.

• Like 1

Years ago I was talking to a firefighter in turnout gear outside the medical center where I work, as he was waiting for his colleagues to come back to the truck. They had been called out for a microwave popcorn incident, and said a large percentage of the calls they received were for fires started by microwave popcorn.

• Like 5

I agree with many of the responses regarding safety, smells,; all of which can get really out of hand.

Perhaps one suggestion in addition to movie night would be to have popcorn available under the control of the Activities coordinator 1X per day during some of the trivia events.

• Like 2

It would be nice to see a microwave somewhere in the buffet area for public use.  I would like to reheat my coffee sometimes.  I can understand the reasons for not having them in all the cabins, way too much for cabin steward to clean, danger of fires, power surges. etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

It would be nice to see a microwave somewhere in the buffet area for public use.  I would like to reheat my coffee sometimes. 

Take a good look at the HAL passenger base. If someone were to turn on an easily accessible to passengers microwave, just as someone with a pacemaker walked by, all sorts of bad things could happen to that unawares passenger when the pacemaker stopped working properly. 
I learned that lesson the hard way when I nuked some food just as my father-in-law walked nearby. Oops. 

Or have microwave ovens been improved enough over the years that is no longer a concern? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Take a good look at the HAL passenger base. If someone were to turn on an easily accessible to passengers microwave, just as someone with a pacemaker walked by, all sorts of bad things could happen to that unawares passenger when the pacemaker stopped working properly. 
I learned that lesson the hard way when I nuked some food just as my father-in-law walked nearby. Oops. 

Or have microwave ovens been improved enough over the years that is no longer a concern? 

OOPS, didn't think of pace maker folks.  But yes, I believe microwaves are safer these days.

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

It would be nice to see a microwave somewhere in the buffet area for public use.  I would like to reheat my coffee sometimes.  I can understand the reasons for not having them in all the cabins, way too much for cabin steward to clean, danger of fires, power surges. etc.

Reheat your coffee? What coffee exactly?

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I suspect the one in the "Butler's Pantry" of the Pinnacle suite is there fore the use of the butler, not the guests. Imagine the destruction possible from some irresponsible passenger (and we all know there are some on every cruise) who leaves something in there for way too long, as others have mentioned in this thread.

Not true.  We use the microwave several times on each cruise when we stay in the Pinnacle Suite.  It is great for warming up food from room service or something we bring back to the room, that is not at an optimal temperature.  BTW, the microwaves on the Pinnacle-class ships are the small ones like you find in hotel rooms.  However, the ones in the  non-Pinnacle-class ships are large commercial models that are high wattage and heat food really fast.

Everyone is talking about smells, fires, pacemaker issues, etc.  Why would this be any worse than the microwaves that are common in hotel rooms?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Everyone is talking about smells, fires, pacemaker issues, etc.  Why would this be any worse than the microwaves that are common in hotel rooms?

If you have a pacemaker inside you, you are unlikely to use the microwave in your hotel room. Nor are you likely to create smells you don't like. 

At least if there is a fire in the hotel room, you can get out of the building, and pull the fire alarm. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Torquer said:

I have always wondered why all or most cabins don't have microwaves.  As was pointed out above, there is one in the Pinnacle Suite on all ships, so it can't be a safety concern.  It could be a space issue for some cabins, but the Neptune and Signature Suites certainly have room for one, but they don't have them either.

Wide spread use of microwaves have 2 safety concerns - increased fire risk and the potential for radiation leaks. Microwaves are powered by a magnetron that produces electromagnetic waves. This is similar technology to the energy produced by ship's radars. First thing they teach you when going to sea is to turn the radars off before climbing up to the Monkey Island and mast.

To manage the potential radiation risk each microwave would require at least annual testing, which is a huge additional workload on an already busy crew.

The increased fire risks may require installation of additional structural fire protection, in each space, as per the regulations. Additional structural fire protection results in increased build cost. The required structural fire protection of each space is based on the calculated fire load of all fixtures, furnishings, floor coverings, etc. Adding a microwave to each cabin adds to the calculated fire load for that space and the potential for increased structural fire protection measures.

Hotels do not operate under the rigid marine fire extinguishing and structural fire protection regulations, and associated matrix, hence the reason they are common in hotel rooms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2