Help with roll calls, AGAIN

I log into the Roll Call and every time I come back I have to research the roll call for the ship and the date and start all over again. I don't know if it's because I'm using a tablet and cannot grab the link and save it like on a desktop. Also Within the correct roll call group I can't seem to start a new question. I can only progress in the reply section to the last posting. I expressed this once before when I first logged in but on my tablet Cruise Critic does not seem to be working like I did for me way back before covid. I don't even know if this post is within my roll call or just general

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, if I understand your question, after opening Roll Calls for the relevant ship and you scroll to the top of the page and click on "start new topic", as underlined in pic below, it will start a new topic, as you have done here.

Alternatively, once within a roll call, scroll to the bottom and click on "reply to this topic", as I have done, as I have done here. I hope that helps 😊

Screenshot_20231104-154635_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231104-155346_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 10/25/2023 at 9:44 PM, Ellshu said:

I log into the Roll Call and every time I come back I have to research the roll call for the ship and the date and start all over again. I don't know if it's because I'm using a tablet and cannot grab the link and save it like on a desktop. Also Within the correct roll call group I can't seem to start a new question. I can only progress in the reply section to the last posting. I expressed this once before when I first logged in but on my tablet Cruise Critic does not seem to be working like I did for me way back before covid. I don't even know if this post is within my roll call or just general

Hello @Ellshu

Your two stand-alone threads in a Roll Call forum have been moved to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum where they will be on topic and then merged into this one thread. Per the Cruise Critic software, all posts now appear in post date/time order on this newly merged thread.

Folks often forget about this forum when they need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. Again, you will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

Yes, there have been changes to the boards. The Cruise Critic message board software switched from vBulletin to Invision Community in October 2018 and has been tweaked often since then. Also, we moved to new servers in May 2019. 

Hopefully, @Jean C has helped you with your second question. But please note, no one can start a new topic within an existing Roll Call thread. The OP (Original Poster) that posts the first post in a thread uses the dark blue Start new topic button. Everyone else posting in the thread uses the dark blue Reply to this topic button. Click the following for more information:

How To: Start a New Topic

How to: Reply to a Topic / Quote / Multi-Quote

And this is where using the Quote feature comes in handy! Anytime you are reading a thread and want to address a particular post already in the thread, be sure to use the Quote feature on that post as I did yours. That way all reading the thread will be aware of what your post concerns. You then type your reply UNDER the light blue box showing the quote. When you are done with your message, click the dark blue Submit Reply button. If the member has used the Follow feature on the thread, they will get a Notification that you have quoted their post.

And now speaking of Notificationssuggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications!  If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Personally, I no longer use email for Cruise Critic notifications. I have all mine set to Notification List. I just click the Notifications Bell to the left of my user name over the small Search bubble. Then scroll down the pop-up that appears and click View all notifications. A new screen opens listing all my Notifications. I then click each one that takes me directly to the thread & post. That way I am not drowning in emails!

If you want to set yours that way, click your user name located upper right over the small Search bubble in the blue bar. Next, click Account Settings. Under Other Settings, click Notification Settings. Click the down arrows and set each as Notification List Only.

To "tag" a member as I did you and Jean, you type the @ symbol first and then first few letters of the user name. A small list of user names & avatars will pop up. Click the desired user name and avatar. A dark blue bubble will appear containing their user name and the identified member should be notified, e.g. @Ellshu

Hope this information will be helpful!

Happy sails, 

Host Kat

On 10/25/2023 at 10:04 PM, Ellshu said:

How  do you start a  new  topic  within  the  roll call for  the cruise   that  you are booked on, and not  at the  head  of  the forum like  this  question I am posting

There have been several good answers but to put it short and sweet the Roll Call is the topic. You can't start a topic in the roll call, you post to the roll call. 

Thank you for taking the time to explain a few things. I read that I can not start a new topic within a roll call.  And that I should start it from the main  page

But that means it is not going to the group of people on "x" ship on "y" date

If nobody has a question about PoC for example  " split, Croatia excurious from ship  x on March 15 sailing, then it can not be asked of the group which is on the roll call

This is where and why I have the difficulty

I can only respond to a topic  already in the roll call

Instead of asking  " has anybody booked a land tour of Phuket from this roll call of ship "x" on sailing "y"

3 hours ago, Ellshu said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain a few things. I read that I can not start a new topic within a roll call.  And that I should start it from the main  page

If nobody has a question about PoC for example  " split, Croatia excurious from ship  x on March 15 sailing, then it can not be asked of the group which is on the roll call

Instead of asking  " has anybody booked a land tour of Phuket from this roll call of ship "x" on sailing "y"

I don't understand your problem. A roll call is specific to a ship and a sailing. If you are responding to another post on the roll call, you use the quote function so that people can follow what you are responding to. If you have a new question, use the "reply to this topic" box which gives you a clean post within the roll call. It doesn't mean that you are really responding to something; to respond to something specific use the quote function (which is why your post shows up at the beginning of this post where I am responding to you.

4 hours ago, Ellshu said:

No, you have it backward.  The roll call is where members on the same cruise ‘meet’ and discuss activities.  This includes organizing tours within the roll call.  In fact, the roll call is the only place where you can seek members to join excursions.  You don’t start a new thread asking about an excursion.  You reply within the roll call thread.  It doesn’t matter if no one has yet asked about activities in a port.  Someone has to be the first to ask, and it can be you.  If you are asking what there is to do there, you can also visit the Ports of Call board for ideas.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

f you have a new question, use the "reply to this topic" box which gives you a clean post within the roll call. It doesn't mean that you are really responding to something;

Thank you

this is the part that answered my question that nobody had explained before 

this is a clean post within the roll call

thank you

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The roll call is where members on the same cruise ‘meet’ and discuss activities.  This includes organizing tours within the roll call.  In fact, the roll call is the only place where you can seek members to join excursions

Thank you 

two good responses to answer my question

12 hours ago, Ellshu said:

A roll call is nothing more than a special thread. Those following a roll call will get notified when new posts appear. To follow a thread (roll call) click on the Follow link, on mobile devices below posts on the left.

Screenshot_20231110_150228_Chrome.jpg.aa77e16d91657d67176fd477a0665912.jpg