Turning 4 star and nobody is interested in it

JanDom

Hello to all HAL Cruisers.

We were on a 14 days cruise with the Rotterdam in May.
During this cruise we turned from a 3 star to a 4 star Mariner…. And nobody was interest in that…. Back home we wrote a nice email if we will get any informations about that but we never ever got an answer.

The only way we know that we turned to 4 star is when logging in on the HAL homepage and have a look in our Mariner account.

For us it seems a little bit like they are not interested in us any more.

(we are in our early 40‘s and plenty of time to do a lot more cruises in our life).

We are pretty sad about this situation, because HAL always was our favourite cruise line. 

Does anybody of you had this before?

Thanks and greets

Janine 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Turning 2 or 3 star we got a little Mariner pin and a card with the information we turned to another level. 
We don‘t think about a party or something special. Just the information and maybe a pin.

because we are from Europe we only get the perks on board. All other perks like earlier information and so on are only for the US market. This is something we already know and what is totally fine for us 

• Like 2

You can go to front desk and get your four* pin. At one time they did have a small recognition ceremony were the Capt gave you your medallion on a cruise after you reached your next level. They might do so on your next cruise. Don't know if the even do it any more, have not seen it done on our last three cruises.  

I reached 4* during my last cruise, but had no recognition of it other than seeing it change in my profile when I log in. I sent an email to the Mariners Desk and received an email back that it would be recognized on my next cruise.

Congrats @JanDom!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

You can go to front desk and get your four* pin. At one time they did have a small recognition ceremony were the Capt gave you your medallion on a cruise after you reached your next level. They might do so on your next cruise. Don't know if the even do it any more, have not seen it done on our last three cruises.  

Medallion recognition is different to and independant of, star recognition.  Medallions are awareded based on actual sailing days whereas stars are awarded based on sailing days + suite bonus (if booked) and spending/HIA.

But I know that you knew that 😉

Recently Pins were always on the bed after evening turndown or in the stateroom mailbox.

• Like 7

Zero charge on my onboard statement for laundry was all the recognition we needed when we just hit the big 4*......

....we've decided that moving up in the HAL Mariner stars is much more fulfilling than any of the previous awards during our work years......

gotta have a goal....and becoming 5* someday is at the top of our goal list.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, albingirl said:

The laundry perk is all the award I  needed. It's the quiet little things that make all the difference in the quality of life. And cruises!

The first time I got to use my 4 star benefits was earlier this year on a 31 day cruise of South America.  Free laundry was a godsend. 

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Roz said:

The first time I got to use my 4 star benefits was earlier this year on a 31 day cruise of South America.  Free laundry was a godsend. 

@Roz  I'm hearing you.  We are leaving on 31 day SA cruise in Nov and just turned 4 star this week.  Having the laundry will be so great and not having to pack so much.  

• Like 7

Last cruise DH reached 3 star ( no fanfare nor pin expected or received) and I hit copper medallion. DH answered a knock on our door and our steward handed him my medallion and told him it was for me.

DH is now looking forward to me reaching free laundry.🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Even 5 star is't much of a big deal, but it does depend on the ship. We do like the rewards!

As for onboard specifically: the Medallion Parties are the focus.  I do think it depends on the high team members (Captain, Hotel Manager, Guest Relations Manager). They set the pace for the party (based on how much time and effort the Captain wishes to expend?).  All our Medallions were recognized at the parties, but the Platinum was slightly a bigger deal for them. 

These stars and medallions are loyalty programs: it would be nice if the ships could pay a bit more attention.  I guess the program is being thinned out - just too many recipients  until the Platinum and President's Club level.

• Like 1

I, for one, am very excited to welcome you to Four Star Marinerhood, @JanDom

Welcome to the world of free laundry and pressing, discounted specialty dining, and wine packages!   You also get access to the exclusive entertainment event called "Complimentary Wine Tasting," where you can be amazed at the pretentiousness of some your fellow travelers.

Full list of perks are both listed at the URL below and posted on the wall of the secret 4* Mariner tree house.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/mariner-society

Edited by POA1
Typos, cuz my fingers are too fat for my phone.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, SilvertoGold said:

I guess the program is being thinned out - just too many recipients  until the Platinum

I am not familiar with the platinum level....Please enlighten me on what benefit that gets me?

(I thought Mariner went to 5 stars and that was it.  And then there is the President's Club for the very top of the food chain...but not familiar with Platinum benefits)

14 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I am not familiar with the platinum level....Please enlighten me on what benefit that gets me?

(I thought Mariner went to 5 stars and that was it.  And then there is the President's Club for the very top of the food chain...but not familiar with Platinum benefits)

Platinum is part of the older medallion system 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Platimum is an older program based only on days sailed on HAL. It is awarded for 700 pure days on HAL.  (The Star program is a combination of days plus spending, to give you points.)  Most ships' officers and crew are quite aware of their Platinum (and above) guests and treat them well. Some extras depending on the ship, but mostly very personalized service.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are really looking forward to the free laundry’s. Are on a Oceania cruise right now and I will have much to do back home 😵‍💫 so looking forward being back home with two clean suitcases with clothes 😂

We do not want a big party, just a knock at our cabin door to give us the pins - absolutes fine. Turning to three star we got a „personal“ letter from the captain.

turning to 4 star there was just nothing …

a bit confusing, but as mentioned - maybe every crew and every cruise is different.

looking forward to a next cruise with HAL 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never did get my 4* or 5* pins but I do get an acknowledgement of my 5* status on both the ship and when on the phone with HAL and I feel that I get some extra attention.  I will have my platinum medallion on my upcoming cruise but that gets you nothing extra in perks. As one woman said once in a medallion ceremony - it was the most expensive piece of jewellery that she owned. HAL does at least give it to you personally or did. I will see what happens on my next cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I believe that any recognition while on a cruise depends on the Captain, Hotel Director, and immediate officers. Some just do the minimum while others make it a memorable experience. And I will second the response that the best part of being 4* is free laundry!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Infi said:

OP, what kind of recognition were you hoping for in reaching 4 star that would have showed you HAL cared? Honestly curious here.

Very easy - just get the information we turned to 4 star while being on the ship.

I am not the one counting points… so after being back home and look for cruises I recognized we turned to 4 star - and we know from turning to three star we just got a little information about that. 

Unless you are on a grand voyage you are not officially a 4 star until your next cruise.  The tally is not done, except for grand cruises, until 7-10 days after the cruise.  You should get a pin on your next cruise. 

• Like 7