Can the veteran cruisers or travel agents help explain something, please?

Katems75

I'm looking at the nine night Eastern Caribbean/Perfect Day for August 9 on Symphony, along with a LOT of seven night Bahamas/Perfect Day cruises on the same ship in June, July, and August.  It's almost $1000 more for the nine night cruise vs. the seven night cruise.  That just seems really odd to me, that the additional two days would be so pricey.  Is it Eastern Caribbean vs. Bahamas?  I don't care about the ports, I'm a cruise day girl, not a port girl, so that doesn't matter to me.  I don't know why this nine night cruise got stuck there amidst all the seven night ones throughout the summer.  It seems really strange that they interrupted their regularly scheduled seven night Bahamas/Perfect Day cruises for this random nine nighter to the Eastern Caribbean...

Any insight on any of this?  Any thought that maaaaaybe the price would come down?  I've been watching it for months and it hasn't gone UP, so that's something!  If we have six or seven rooms is there a better way of booking for a discount?

Thanks!

I'm guessing the 9 day has more unusual ports. Doesnt matter you dont care about the ports, others care. I would pay more for a cruise going to more unusual ports. 

Best deal for me are refundable group rates. Group rates I get better discounts plus my solo DP340. Find a ta with group rates to pick cabins for your group. 

If the 7 day is a good deal, I'd book b2b. Do 14 days rather than 9 if the ports were that boring as you say. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

If we have six or seven rooms is there a better way of booking for a discount?

The only (not so meaningful) discount you get is if you book 8 cabins. Keep watching the inventory over the next few months - that will drive the price. Cruiseplum provides a nice historical price trend.

49 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

I'm looking at the nine night Eastern Caribbean/Perfect Day for August 9 on Symphony, along with a LOT of seven night Bahamas/Perfect Day cruises on the same ship in June, July, and August.  It's almost $1000 more for the nine night cruise vs. the seven night cruise.  That just seems really odd to me, that the additional two days would be so pricey.  Is it Eastern Caribbean vs. Bahamas?  I don't care about the ports, I'm a cruise day girl, not a port girl, so that doesn't matter to me.  I don't know why this nine night cruise got stuck there amidst all the seven night ones throughout the summer.  It seems really strange that they interrupted their regularly scheduled seven night Bahamas/Perfect Day cruises for this random nine nighter to the Eastern Caribbean...

Any insight on any of this?  Any thought that maaaaaybe the price would come down?  I've been watching it for months and it hasn't gone UP, so that's something!  If we have six or seven rooms is there a better way of booking for a discount?

Thanks!

I paid more for a 4 day sailing on Utopia than I did for the Wonder.  It is all supply and demand and nothing else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

All of the info is in the first sentence of the post. Symphony is spending the summer out of Cape Liberty in 2024.

I misread and thought they were comparing it to other 7 night cruises. Not symphony 

Edited by dcgrumpy

Not quite the same thing, but I have a cruise booked leaving shortly. Have been watching to see if there are any price drops - only raising at this point -, when I pull up the ship and the three dates listed for the same 7 day itinerary all within the same month the prices on all three weeks vary by hundreds of dollars for the exact same room. Same ship, same itinerary, same month, same room. Just depends on supply and demand.

I’d point out those cruise were released for sale some time ago.  If certain cruises sell better than other, the prices of the remaining cabins on those high demand cruise will be higher than cruises experiencing lower demand.  Sometimes the cruiseline anticipates higher demand before releasing the cruises, in which case the prices are higher from the start (holiday cruises, special itineraries, for example). This longer itinerary may have started with slightly higher prices, sold well and now have substantially higher prices.

Also, google to see if there is a partial ship charter.  Sometimes a big group willing to pay $$$ can influence the pricing and perhaps even the itinerary.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Best deal for me are refundable group rates. Group rates I get better discounts plus my solo DP340. Find a ta with group rates to pick cabins for your group. 

If the 7 day is a good deal, I'd book b2b. Do 14 days rather than 9 if the ports were that boring as you say. 

Booking a back to back is an interesting idea...how does one actually DO this?  Is there a way to link the cruises?  If I booked a six day back to back, should I anticipate the six day to be a younger, rowdier crowd?  I've heard the shorter the cruise the more crazy it can be guest wise.

How does one book refundable group rates?  Do you need eight cabins?

On 11/1/2023 at 5:18 PM, Katems75 said:

Booking a back to back is an interesting idea...how does one actually DO this?  Is there a way to link the cruises?  If I booked a six day back to back, should I anticipate the six day to be a younger, rowdier crowd?  I've heard the shorter the cruise the more crazy it can be guest wise.

How does one book refundable group rates?  Do you need eight cabins?

My TA has group refundable rates. Sometimes very little savings, sometimes more but refundable.

He can see cabins I cant and finds a cabin that is open both legs. It's a pain to change cabins. Much nicer to keep the same cabin. 

• Like 1

Sometimes the prices vary due to ship, ports and how many cabins they still have in inventory. Depending on the sailing as an agent we sometimes have group rates (no you don't have to be a group to book a cabin in a group). If you do have 8 or more cabins then you can get extra perks ( extra OBC, amenities, or even a free or discounted cabin). If you like the price, book it or have an agent do it. They should be willing to check for price drops for you and some give extra perks as well. 🙂

We are booked on the Symphony 9 nighter in August with family.  The extra two days IMO are surely worth more.  We enjoy the two island beach days.  I have been watching the rates and they haven't gone down for grand suites.  Since August from NJ is very desirable, the ship will probably sail full.  Perhaps a few inside cabins might be available.