MSC vs NCL in Asia

So, despite asking several questions about cruises for the next couple of months, I'm now considering a couple of Asian cruises, for easier flights and commutes.

Options I'm considering are:

14 nights Bangkok to Singapore on NCL Jewel

or

9 nights Tokyo return on MSC Bellissima.

I've been on NCL Jade, but never MSC and I'm looking for any advice/comments about what to expect.  In my head MSC will be a bit more formal, obviously a much newer ship, and perhaps more expensive for onboard expenses? I'd be looking at getting the alcohol package on either to minimise onboard expenditure though. Gratuities to be added too. I read that MSC status match so I'd hope to get a few extra perks being Elite on Princess but none look life changing.

I know most of the NCL ports quite well but have never cruised Japan, but have been there so I'm expecting much higher priced shore excursions etc.

Is there anything else that I'm not considering? What do you think the passenger mix would be for each? We're a couple of single, fun, 50 year olds so would like to be able to enjoy a drink and a laugh, and sometimes kick up our heels. Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, mum and son said:

Is there anything else that I'm not considering? What do you think the passenger mix would be for each? We're a couple of single, fun, 50 year olds so would like to be able to enjoy a drink and a laugh, and sometimes kick up our heels. Would you recommend one over the other?

I have also been on the Jade, so am quite surprised that you would sail NCL again.

However, when considering an MSC cruise that took in some of the most fabulous ports I have always wished to visit and had an amazing itinerary, I looked at some of the reviews. I decided that it sounded 10 times worse than anything that I experienced on the Jade (which also had a great itinerary which I enjoyed immensely).

Therefore, my advice would be that if you found the NCL Jade fine, then you will probably have a great time on the Jewel but maybe an MSC ship may be too much for an Aussie to take.

41 minutes ago, yarramar said:

I have also been on the Jade, so am quite surprised that you would sail NCL again.

However, when considering an MSC cruise that took in some of the most fabulous ports I have always wished to visit and had an amazing itinerary, I looked at some of the reviews. I decided that it sounded 10 times worse than anything that I experienced on the Jade (which also had a great itinerary which I enjoyed immensely).

Therefore, my advice would be that if you found the NCL Jade fine, then you will probably have a great time on the Jewel but maybe an MSC ship may be too much for an Aussie to take.

Interesting point of view. Thanks for your thoughts. To be honest, when I went on the Jade I was in a 2 bedroom Haven Villa in the Med and I honestly didn't venture much into the main part of the ship as we had keycard access to our own private floor with pool, gym, restaurant etc, and this cruise would be in an inside guarantee cabin, so vastly different.

My cousins recently cruised MSC in Europe and loved it, and we're pretty similar and cruise together a lot. I just don't know what to think. I've also read the reviews and wonder if we'll fit the MSC from Japan demographic. I've found a deal that is so cheap I'm almost tempted to give it a try. I've never been on a cruise I didn't enjoy so I'm pretty easy to please, but I do feel a responsibility to my travel companion.

I would be inclined towards the MSC itinerary.

MSC is becoming more popular with Americans ditching regular marques e.g. RCI, Carnivcal and in particular Celebrity, where they would normally book suites. They are going for MSC Yacht Club which is very much up market and like being on a ship within a ship with access barred to non Yacht Club cruisers. Top service and inclusions. MSC is certainly not formal in the Cunard and UK P&O sense.

I have cruised on MSC and, although, it was not the best as far as food goes (MDR), I look back and see that if I knew what it was like before going my expectations may not have been as high. MDR food was particularly disappointing however I thought the buffet was great.

The MSC ships are wonderful, very classy. Service, at times, was a bit hit and miss in the MDR. Very inexperienced staff with a big work load (late 2019) but that may not be representative of all their ships.

I suggest you give it a go, particularly the Yacht Club.

I'm looking at what's available on MSC in the Caribbean but I have to factor in single supplement to the cost unless I can find a cruising companion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I'm looking at what's available on MSC in the Caribbean but I have to factor in single supplement to the cost unless I can find a cruising companion.

Thank you for this, it definitely puts my mind at ease. I have found an incredible solo price for my potential MSC cruise so, even if I was travelling with my friend, I would've booked us a room each. 

• Like 1

In 2015 we did an MSC cruise from Freo to Rome and it was awful.  Front line (Reception etc) were arrogant and dismissive and even to the point of being offensive.  I stood in a line waiting for assistance at Reception while a fellow traveller was asking for help with something very reasonable.  The young woman she was talking to turned away from her and said something in another language (possibly Russian) to her colleague.  They both laughed and it was very clear that she was talking about this woman.  However, full kudos to the lady, she pulled herself up to her full height (probably 158 cms) and said, 'I may be old and I may even be ugly but, I am not stupid and I know what you've just done'.  She then asked to speak to the Manager of the section and got no assistance there either.

The laundry lost so many articles of clothing (no guest laundry available) that they shut down the service.  This was announced in the common areas, not in the cabins and was not advised in the Cruise Program.  We had pre-payed 5 laundry bags and were left with 3 unused.  MSC refused to give us a refund.

Look these are just a couple of many bad experiences of the MSC Orchestra.  I vowed and declared when we left the ship in Rome that I would never cruise with that line again and I haven't.  Furthermore, if I won a cruise on an MSC I would find someone I really disliked and give it to them.

My experience and opinion for what it's worth.

6 hours ago, mum and son said:

Thank you for this, it definitely puts my mind at ease. I have found an incredible solo price for my potential MSC cruise so, even if I was travelling with my friend, I would've booked us a room each. 

There is a long running thread on The Cruising forum at TripAdvisor. I have linked for you to start reading from August as newer posts would be more relevant but you could start from the beginning.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k10695166-o240-Msc_cruises-Cruises.html

5 minutes ago, yarramar said:

There is a long running thread on The Cruising forum at TripAdvisor. I have linked for you to start reading from August as newer posts would be more relevant but you could start from the beginning.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k10695166-o240-Msc_cruises-Cruises.html

Thanks very much for that, I'll get reading!

I went on 3 cruises earlier this year on the MSC virtuosa out of Southampton.

I loved it. The shows (3 times a night) were excellent and the huge street parties late at night were so much fun. It was very much a fun cruise, not sure you will get the same atmosphere on an asian intensive cruise. My biggest gripes were things that most big ships have in common, trivias and game shows in areas too small for everyone, MDR food was either very good or very average. The Buffet was excellent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I went on 3 cruises earlier this year on the MSC virtuosa out of Southampton.

I loved it. 

Thanks for the info. It appears the cruise world is divided on MSC. I agree that it is the Asian itinerary that I see as the positive and the negative. I suspect from the price I have found that the ship is nowhere near full, which is a good thing, and a bad thing for me if I travel solo. I could not be more confused!

Edited by mum and son
  • Like 1

We're currently cruising Japan on Princess. Although we've previously done some land travel in Japan, and also done a repositioning cruise from Sydney to Yokohama, this cruise visits ports on the Western side of Honshu Island, most if which we've never been to. It's really great seeing the different ports. Each one has it's specialities. 

However as much as I'd recommend Japan cruising I'd probably go for the longer cruise if the port stops are good. I haven't tried either cruise line so can't base a recommendation on that.

I'd love MSC to base one of its smaller ships in Australia.  I think it could be a different fun ship with Aussie and Kiwi passengers, many of whom have Italian heritage.    I've been on two long MSC cruises.  I enjoyed the smaller ship much more than the larger ship.  When I think back, the larger ship of 3,000 was just too big for me.  It was probably some of the rude and arrogant European passengers who I disliked the most. The ship was spotless and the entertainment was first class.  We shared a table with a Dutch/Italian couple, so we ate well.  

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

It was probably some of the rude and arrogant European passengers who I disliked the most. The ship was spotless and the entertainment was first class.

That is what put me off NCL. That and the upselling and pushiness of their business model.

It is also what I have read most about the culture on board MSC and the bad food.

23 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're currently cruising Japan on Princess. Although we've previously done some land travel in Japan, and also done a repositioning cruise from Sydney to Yokohama, this cruise visits ports on the Western side of Honshu Island, most if which we've never been to. It's really great seeing the different ports. Each one has it's specialities. 

However as much as I'd recommend Japan cruising I'd probably go for the longer cruise if the port stops are good. I haven't tried either cruise line so can't base a recommendation on that.

I've been keeping an eye on your Japan thread. Are the Japanese ports close to the towns? I've cruised quite a bit in Thailand and Vietnam and often the ports are a couple of hours from the nearest city (and to think people complain about the distance to the new Brisbane terminal 🤣). I think the far away ports would be more difficult for a solo traveller, as that's looking more likely for me.

I can't offer any personal info on MSC, except that I have been hearing/reading very mixed reviews for years. 

Norwegian Jewel however was quite a nice ship for us, as well as her sister Pearl. The cabins are a tad on the small side, but i couldn't otherwise fault our NCL cruises.

On 11/8/2023 at 12:19 PM, arxcards said:

I can't offer any personal info on MSC, except that I have been hearing/reading very mixed reviews for years. 

Norwegian Jewel however was quite a nice ship for us, as well as her sister Pearl. The cabins are a tad on the small side, but i couldn't otherwise fault our NCL cruises.

Guess what ship I ended up booking? Emerald Princess 🤣. I was so confused about ships and destinations and flights, and making it all come together - but it finally did and I'm super pleased! Paid in full today.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 6:37 PM, mum and son said:

Guess what ship I ended up booking? Emerald Princess 🤣. I was so confused about ships and destinations and flights, and making it all come together - but it finally did and I'm super pleased! Paid in full today.

Only just saw this thread. So glad for you. Princess is great.

like Norwegian in that price point. I think they have the best entertainment of any of the cruiselines.

HATED the one MSC. I did. Crap food, crap service. Never again. 

Ejoy Princess.

13 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

Only just saw this thread. So glad for you. Princess is great.

like Norwegian in that price point. I think they have the best entertainment of any of the cruiselines.

HATED the one MSC. I did. Crap food, crap service. Never again. 

Ejoy Princess.

Thanks so much. My head was all over the place but I'm happy I settled back with Princess. I originally booked as a solo so I was conscious of being on a familiar ship, with a familiar brand. MSC made me nervous 😬.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mum and son said:

Thanks so much. My head was all over the place but I'm happy I settled back with Princess. I originally booked as a solo so I was conscious of being on a familiar ship, with a familiar brand. MSC made me nervous 😬.

Good for you 😊 I'd never sail with NCL again, we must have had a dishonest steward as grog was missing from the mini bar at the end of the cruise (we never touched the mini bar) - NCL did nothing and wouldn't even say exactly what was missing. We prepaid gratuities and even though we barely saw our steward, and for a few days didn't even know who the steward was, we left him a tip. Cost was deducted from our credit card after disembarking, about $25, which we never got back, so it's the principle of the matter 🙁

48 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Good for you 😊 I'd never sail with NCL again, we must have had a dishonest steward as grog was missing from the mini bar at the end of the cruise (we never touched the mini bar) - NCL did nothing and wouldn't even say exactly what was missing. We prepaid gratuities and even though we barely saw our steward, and for a few days didn't even know who the steward was, we left him a tip. Cost was deducted from our credit card after disembarking, about $25, which we never got back, so it's the principle of the matter 🙁

That's a shame.  Not a nice feeling when you think you've been ripped off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Why would you leave the cabin steward a tip in addition to auto gratuity, if you suspect him/her of knocking off the mini bar and not making themselves known to you for some days.  On Princess your steward comes and sees you in the first few hours after boarding.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Why would you leave the cabin steward a tip in addition to auto gratuity, if you suspect him/her of knocking off the mini bar and not making themselves known to you for some days.  On Princess your steward comes and sees you in the first few hours after boarding.

Hi, hope you're feeling okay, it's hopefully a positive sign for all of us to see you posting. We didn't know until we got home that anything was missing or charged to us and, suspiciously we didn't receive a final account on our door on the last night. We had no on board spending so didn't think anything of it.  We always leave a tip for stewards and regular waiters even if it's over and above gratuities 💵 

PS, on our last Princess cruise our steward didn't make himself known to us. We were just one balcony cabin in his patch of mini suites (ship was half empty). It was only a couple of days later after I saw a steward thinking he must be ours and introduced myself, that our own steward made himself known!

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

It is not too late to write to senior management of NCL and tell them why you won't cruise with NCL ever again and how you have spread your experience on Cruise Critic. 

I have never not received a credit after I have made an official complaint about theft (alcohol from a bar fridge at a beautiful Sydney hotel and cost of one day's car hire in Skagway, Alaska, after we had left.)  It takes some work, but as you say it is the principle of the matter.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

It is not too late to write to senior management of NCL and tell them why you won't cruise with NCL ever again and how you have spread your experience on Cruise Critic. 

I have never not received a credit after I have made an official complaint about theft (alcohol from a bar fridge at a beautiful Sydney hotel and cost of one day's car hire in Skagway, Alaska, after we had left.)  It takes some work, but as you say it is the principle of the matter.  

Thanks. At the time we fought and fought, but they only allowed one on-line communication with the company, not a dialogue, all they told us was it was the mini bar.  No toll free number from NZ, and even a toll call with "wait" music failed to achieve anything. Also, suspiciously, the fridge wasn't locked on the last evening, but you live and learn, we'd never be caught out like that again. 

We found the cruise experiences very average, it was port intensive so we weren't on board much. Food in the main dining room was hit and miss, some lovely meals, but some very ordinary/rest home style and not hot enough, all with quite a wait. We've put it behind us, there are plenty of other companies to support 😊

1 minute ago, Jean C said:

Thanks. At the time we fought and fought, but they only allowed one on-line communication with the company, not a dialogue, all they told us was it was the mini bar.  No toll free number from NZ, and even a toll call with "wait" music failed to achieve anything. Also, suspiciously, the fridge wasn't locked on the last evening, but you live and learn, we'd never be caught out like that again. 

We found the cruise experiences very average, it was port intensive so we weren't on board much. Food in the main dining room was hit and miss, some lovely meals, but some very ordinary/rest home style and not hot enough, all with quite a wait. We've put it behind us, there are plenty of other companies to support 😊

I have found you have to put your complaint to management in writing.  I had to copy a page from my diary showing I left the day before on the last ferry, as I didn't have a ticket to prove I left.  (Next time I would photocopy putting key in the return box, with the date, which would make it easier to claim.  You have to wonder how many times the thief got away with using a hire car after renter left.)  

Maybe you could try Virgin's Resilient Lady.  Reviews all comment on the delicious food from 20 different places, all of which are included in the price of the cruise.  

• Like 1