Can you disembark at an earlier port stop?

mum and son

Hi all,

I'm booked on a Panama Canal cruise that travels from Fort Lauderdale to LA. I have a friend who would like to come along but has another commitment a couple of days before the end of the cruise. Would Princess allow my friend to disembark in Puerto Vallarta or Huatulco?

I would call but I'm on the other side of the world and seem to be sleeping or working when the call centre is open!

Thanks. 

Edited by mum and son

You have to apply for and receive written permission from Princess to disembark mid cruise. Only Princess can answer. Princess would have to arrange for Immigration & Customs at the Mexican port of disembarkation. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 3

I believe it's called a Route Deviation Request. It has to be approved.

Judging from recent posts, the Customer Service Center has some training issues so good luck with them knowing what it is.

Puerto Vallarta would have the bigger airport, seventh busiest airport in Mexico, Huatulco is 23rd.

• Like 4

Agree with Post #4.  Call in and ask for Route Deviation.  If booked with a TA, have them make the request on your behalf.

In terms of the route and port, it should be allowed since there will be customs in PV and it doesn't violate the US PVSA.  Guest gets no refund or rebate for unused portion of the voyage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mum and son said:

Hi all,

I'm booked on a Panama Canal cruise that travels from Fort Lauderdale to LA. I have a friend who would like to come along but has another commitment a couple of days before the end of the cruise. Would Princess allow my friend to disembark in Puerto Vallarta or Huatulco?

I would call but I'm on the other side of the world and seem to be sleeping or working when the call centre is open!

Thanks. 

if your friend needs to be let off early, your friend is the one who should be doing all the leg work to get the correct answers.  Have your friend call, it's their problem, not yours.  I may sound cold, but I have done very exhaustive work in trying to get folks information, then they later tell me, " Oh, I'm sorry...I forgot to tell you I don't need that information any longer".

• Like 3

We wanted to do that once.

We live by San Francisco so we wanted to get off there. The cruise continued up to Vancouver.

We were told NO because there were no customs scheduled there for that day.

They were not about to do that for only 2 guests to get off.

As others have said, route deviation is the way to go. 

Puerto Vallarta is your best bet. Many crew join the ship and leave at that port, so you have proper authorities there.  Huatulco is very small, and not a place for crew or guest entertainment to come or go. Puntarenas would be your second choice, where crew joins or leaves. 

8 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

if your friend needs to be let off early, your friend is the one who should be doing all the leg work to get the correct answers.  Have your friend call, it's their problem, not yours.  I may sound cold, but I have done very exhaustive work in trying to get folks information, then they later tell me, " Oh, I'm sorry...I forgot to tell you I don't need that information any longer".

Appreciate your advice but it's my cabin they'll be adding to and I'm managing that booking, so I'm happy to make one call/post about it. I would like my friend to come so I'm happy to waste 10 minutes of my time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Appreciate your advice but it's my cabin they'll be adding to and I'm managing that booking, so I'm happy to make one call/post about it. I would like my friend to come so I'm happy to waste 10 minutes of my time.

Are you before final payment? Can they make the booking with a refundable deposit, and then cancel prior to penalties if a RD isnt doable? 

Otherwise, you need to get a solid Princess Vacation Planner or a Travel Agent to get the correct answers for you prior to commiting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reedprincess said:

Are you before final payment? Can they make the booking with a refundable deposit, and then cancel prior to penalties if a RD isnt doable? 

Otherwise, you need to get a solid Princess Vacation Planner or a Travel Agent to get the correct answers for you prior to commiting 

The cruise was a last minute booking so it's well within final payment. So far I haven't been able to get any further than "apply after you're booked the person". At least if it was a "no" that would be helpful but I haven't got anywhere.

Just now, mum and son said:

The cruise was a last minute booking so it's well within final payment. So far I haven't been able to get any further than "apply after you're booked the person". At least if it was a "no" that would be helpful but I haven't got anywhere.

As you're after final payment, can someone even be added to your cabin? You're muster station may have reached its capacity, or other sold out statuses.  

Do you have a PVP? Or a really good travel agent who can go to bat for you? 

Otherwise, you're at the "roll the dice and take your chances" stage. Good luck. 

Just now, reedprincess said:

As you're after final payment, can someone even be added to your cabin? You're muster station may have reached its capacity, or other sold out statuses.  

Do you have a PVP? Or a really good travel agent who can go to bat for you? 

Otherwise, you're at the "roll the dice and take your chances" stage. Good luck. 

Thanks, yes, Princess have confirmed that I can add the extra person. I think there's quite a lot of availability on the cruise. Thanks for your well wishes. This weekend we'll decide whether to roll those dice!

Can your friend literally miss the ship (on purpose) at one of these ports?

They could call the Port Agent to tell them they are delayed and will not make the departure so the ship does not wait needlessly. If they carry their passport off the ship, they are ready for international travel.

All their belongings would have to be left on the ship and you would have to deal with that at disembarkation. 

Don't know if this would work, but just a thought.

Edited by MarKay525

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

In terms of the route and port, it should be allowed since there will be customs in PV and it doesn't violate the US PVSA.  Guest gets no refund or rebate for unused portion of the voyage.

Steeler, I've never noticed Customs or Immigration at the port in Puerto Vallarta.  Maybe that is the guy in uniform who wants to see the Medallion as we approach the screening area?  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MarKay525 said:

Can your friend literally miss the ship (on purpose) at one of these ports?

They could call the Port Agent to tell them they are delayed and will not make the departure so the ship does not wait needlessly. If they carry their passport off the ship, they are ready for international travel.

All their belongings would have to be left on the ship and you would have to deal with that at disembarkation. 

Don't know if this would work, but just a thought.

I actually asked this exact question. People miss the ship all the time! I was told we would be questioned if someone carried a suitcase off the ship, but otherwise it could be "left" with me, as I'll head straight to the airport from the ship when we arrive in LA it wouldn't be too much bother.

6 hours ago, mum and son said:

Thank you for all of these useful suggestions. The issue is Princess won't discuss until the person is booked and paid, but my friend can't commit without knowing they can disembark. So its stuck at a crossroads!

Then ask if YOU can depart in PV if you so desire.  Obviously if it is okay for one guest, it will be okay for others.

IDK how the question is being asked and your discussion, but it seems Princess rep you speak with either doesn't know or is being somewhat obtuse.  It should be pretty easy IMO for the right person at PCL to indicate whether PV is a possible allowed deviation port or not.  Some ports are straight out not going to happen, but many can be viable.  Who at PCL won't discuss?  It's rather ridiculous IMO for them to do this if it is outlined that the potential guest cannot and will not book unless they know PV is a port they can disembark at.

As pointed out above, if a deviation port is missed for some reason, the guest is out of luck even if it was pre-arranged.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Steeler, I've never noticed Customs or Immigration at the port in Puerto Vallarta.  Maybe that is the guy in uniform who wants to see the Medallion as we approach the screening area?  

I presumed as a fairly major west coast Mexico vacation locale that gets international flights, they would have some customs personnel at the port.  Another poster has mentioned crew arrive/depart there as well, so customs/immigration must be around.  It seems a viable location to apply for.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Then ask if YOU can depart in PV if you so desire.  Obviously if it is okay for one guest, it will be okay for others.

That did occur to me, and is an excellent suggestion. I was scared if I asked if I could do it that they would then make ME do it.

I'm in Australia but I booked through an agent in the US so I'm doing all of my communication in the middle of the night (the agency opens at 11pm my time) so I'm probably not at peak persuasiveness. Need to get my act together!

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I presumed as a fairly major west coast Mexico vacation locale that gets international flights, they would have some customs personnel at the port.  Another poster has mentioned crew arrive/depart there as well, so customs/immigration must be around.  It seems a viable location to apply for.

My very first cruise (Caribbean), I had a brand new passport and wanted to collect stamps on it.  I tracked down an official at the first port, who told me he didn't have a stamp.  My success rate at getting passport stamps at the various ports was well under 50%! 

• Like 1