Formal Night Attire

DAS_UK

Not being an English snob or anything like I do find it amazing that a cruiseline have formal nights and then just let people dress as they wish. My first cruise was back in 2002 aboard a ship called Victoria, an old ship that P&O purchased because it was originally used for Atlantic crossings prior to the introduction of the Jumbo Jet when those that sailed switched to flying therefore making the need for the ship as purely a passenger liner. The ship was lauched in 1966 as the Kungsholm, bought by P&O and renamed Sea Princess. Once the Princess line named their ship Sea Princess the P&O version changed it's name to Victoria and 2002 which was our first cruise was Victoria's last season. Formal nights were formal. But since then most cruiselines have eased their dress codes. But for myself and wife formal is something we look forward to. Admittedly I don't want too many formals as on my last cruise which was onboard Ventura to the Caribbean when on sail days formals were every 4 days and as we missed Burmuda it was 10 days between La Coruna and Bermuda and on the return journey 6 days from Port Canaveral to Punta Del Garda and another 3 from there to Southampton. So on that occasion in my mind too many formals. Our next cruise is next year on Sky Princess and only 5 formals in 31 nights so fine by me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Not being an English snob or anything like I do find it amazing that a cruiseline have formal nights and then just let people dress as they wish. My first cruise was back in 2002 aboard a ship called Victoria, an old ship that P&O purchased because it was originally used for Atlantic crossings prior to the introduction of the Jumbo Jet when those that sailed switched to flying therefore making the need for the ship as purely a passenger liner. The ship was lauched in 1966 as the Kungsholm, bought by P&O and renamed Sea Princess. Once the Princess line named their ship Sea Princess the P&O version changed it's name to Victoria and 2002 which was our first cruise was Victoria's last season. Formal nights were formal. But since then most cruiselines have eased their dress codes. But for myself and wife formal is something we look forward to. Admittedly I don't want too many formals as on my last cruise which was onboard Ventura to the Caribbean when on sail days formals were every 4 days and as we missed Burmuda it was 10 days between La Coruna and Bermuda and on the return journey 6 days from Port Canaveral to Punta Del Garda and another 3 from there to Southampton. So on that occasion in my mind too many formals. Our next cruise is next year on Sky Princess and only 5 formals in 31 nights so fine by me.

Indeed, things have changed in the cruise industry over the years.  We find cruising in Europe to be very different than in the Caribbean.  We just go with the flow now, do our own thing and just ignore the rest.  We enjoy looking nice, but that seems to not be the norm any longer and that’s okay.  I hope you enjoy your cruise on Sky.  She is lovely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Agree.  Some people are just trying to scare others into dressing a certain way ...

Absolutely!

If your holiday happiness is contingent on what someone is wearing then it could well be quite the rollercoaster!

It's similar to when I hold my DB's hand walking around the ship.  Particularly the boomers give some good glares - two men holding hands, shock!!!

If I flip it the other way, should I stop doing something that has no physical impact on others but makes me happy in order to help a complete stranger feel more secure about their prejudices?  Absolutely not!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Not sure if Reserve Class follows same dress code suggestion as the rest of the MDR's.

All diners wore, either coat w/tie, or suits, dresses or gowns on ladies. From what I witnessed last evening. I will say that it was one of best dressed and well attended night's I've witnessed. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, c-boy said:

All diners wore, either coat w/tie, or suits, dresses or gowns on ladies. From what I witnessed last evening. I will say that it was oneof best dressed and well attended night's I witnessed 

Since we are reserve diners and I don’t even own a tie I hope I don’t bring down your expectations. We have sailed at least 9 times since restart and long sleeve shirt is really my only change from what I wear on casual nights

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2023 at 10:36 AM, Dreamscaper said:

Definitely no need to get formal (though I admit it was super fun to see some of those people dressed to the 10s (nines doesn't describe the gentleman in a white tux with red accents!)).

He was on the previous leg from Southampton to FLL. We were in the elevator with him and my wife complimented him on his tux. We did the 10days British Isles, with the 15day TA to FLL. 2 "formal" nights in 25days and I can't remember exactly but more White and Gold and Dress to Impress nights. Think Princess wants to appease those that like to dress up and those that don't. I'm a shorts, tank top, slippas guy ( I only own 3 pairs of shoes ) but still wear acceptable wear to dinner,even a coat, then change right afterwards. 

18 minutes ago, memoak said:

Since we are reserve diners and I don’t even own a tie I hope I don’t bring down your expectations. We have sailed at least 9 times since restart and long sleeve shirt is really my only change from what I wear on casual nights

I'll be straight on mate. As long as you brush your teeth and comb your hair.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Agree.  Some people are just trying to scare others into dressing a certain way and we really do not care what people wear on the cruise or MDR because the reality is most people dress within the norms and, as noted by many,  Princess RARELY intervenes.

We always cruise in Reserve Class now and we have never seen anyone confronted for the clothes they are wearing and we have seen the shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, baseball caps etc. (even on formal nights) and those passengers are always greeted graciously by staff.  Not sure if Reserve Class follows same dress code suggestion as the rest of the MDR's.

When we last cruised in Club Class shorts were NOT allowed at night.During Breakfast & lunch it was pretty much anything goes. Most seemed to show a little more class at night.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Citizenxnz said:

Absolutely!

If your holiday happiness is contingent on what someone is wearing then it could well be quite the rollercoaster!

It's similar to when I hold my DB's hand walking around the ship.  Particularly the boomers give some good glares - two men holding hands, shock!!!

If I flip it the other way, should I stop doing something that has no physical impact on others but makes me happy in order to help a complete stranger feel more secure about their prejudices?  Absolutely not!

We remember this time when at breakfast a group of us shared a table & this guy showed up in in a really sleazy tank top & skanky shorts. This woman told him to go up & change as she had no desire to be looking at a pair bird nest armpits.(Her words, my spouse agreed with her) The guy got up & left. We're both a gay couple as well & sorry, but that guy ruined the "ambience".until he left. The stale smell of too much booze & smoke didn't help, either

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Agree.  Some people are just trying to scare others into dressing a certain way and we really do not care what people wear on the cruise or MDR because the reality is most people dress within the norms and, as noted by many,  Princess RARELY intervenes.

We always cruise in Reserve Class now and we have never seen anyone confronted for the clothes they are wearing and we have seen the shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, baseball caps etc. (even on formal nights) and those passengers are always greeted graciously by staff.  Not sure if Reserve Class follows same dress code suggestion as the rest of the MDR's.

You are mistaken. Very few people have an interest in scaring others or even in what they wear. I am simply reporting what I’ve seen so that no one is stuck having to eat in the buffet every night if they end up on a ship where the dining room manager chooses to enforce the no shorts rule. No one can predict with certainty that it won’t happen. Just pack pants.

• Like 2

We just got off the Emerald Princess and I saw shorts and tshirt every non-formal night in the MDR.  I did not see shorts/tshirt on formal nights but did see jeans and a collar shirt on several.  It appears there was no enforcing any rules in the MDR.  Unfortunately from where I sat I could not see the entrance and only saw pax who entered our area of the MDR.  At our 6 top was 3 couples.  One male had on a suit and tie, one had jeans and a collared shirt and me with my guayabera short sleeved shirt and pants.  So much for the "rules" or mere suggestions.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am not talking about the ship that was ask about, but I understand (we are doing the Regal in February) that there are two formal nights for a 7 day cruise. I believe one of the formal (call it what you want) nights is where they have the champagne tower, and the captain greets the new guest on ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Not for shorts any longer on formal nights. 

I’ve watched people turned away for wearing shorts on a couple of cruises in the past year. It was a big issue on the Sky Princess last November 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I’ve watched people turned away for wearing shorts on a couple of cruises in the past year. It was a big issue on the Sky Princess last November 

I suppose those ships are a little different but on thr Enchanted and currently on the Ruby, anything goes.