Grand Princess Gastro And Covid Outbreak

Zanny

1 minute ago, yarramar said:

I'd be more surprised to read that there are NO outbreaks of one thing or another. Any ship with a contained population of 2500 or more passengers is bound to have something going on.

Having some people getting sick on any given cruise is a given, an outbreak is something else as it describes that certain numbers have exceeded the allowable quota before health authorities at the next ports need to be informed.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Having some people getting sick on any given cruise is a given, an outbreak is something else as it describes that certain numbers have exceeded the allowable quota before health authorities at the next ports need to be informed.

I am concerned as my friends are getting on Princess on Wednesday in Melbourne.    At what stage will they cancel the next part of the cruise?

Eileen

Just got off Pacific Encounter yesterday.  At the Pantry/Buffet area I was the only one washing my hands.  Amazing no one bothered at all, Hand sanitizers were placed near entrance, just pump bottles, no one interested in them.  
For 90% of passengers there would be no problem, their alcohol intake would probably negate any issues. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Contrary to it being everywhere, Majestic was the cleanest cruise we have been on in several years. Not a cough or a sneeze to be heard. We used the sanitiser, but didn't watch what others were doing - nothing obviously bad though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

I am concerned as my friends are getting on Princess on Wednesday in Melbourne.    At what stage will they cancel the next part of the cruise?

Eileen

Very unlikely there will be any cancellation, just elevated health responses, which include no self service in the buffet, extra cleaning etc. 

They managed to get through 6 months of elevated covid cruises without any cancellations.

I am not sure where it currently stands. Most of the covid & noro cases surely disembarked Grand Princess yesterday, and I would be surprised if there are significant numbers of either a day into the next journey. The news cycle is just a day late.

• Like 2

Oh dear, it even made radio news in NZ. SIL heard snippet, asked what ship we're going on, I said Coral, he said yes, that's it (he was wrong). Anyway, we couldn't find any info for Coral but I said these things can happen on longer cruises and that all those passengers would disembark before we embark anyway. The ship would get a deep clean and at worse, and selfishly for us, there could be a delayed boarding time ( we're raring to go). All par for the course for cruiselines 🛳

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Eileen

You will need to ask your friends about cancelling, but Princess won't cancel.

The cruise be delayed longer for a deeper clean, but do not be surprised if health checks are also enforced.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Contrary to it being everywhere, Majestic was the cleanest cruise we have been on in several years. Not a cough or a sneeze to be heard. We used the sanitiser, but didn't watch what others were doing - nothing obviously bad though.

Not so on the current Majestic cruise. Plenty of coughing around and I have tested positive today after voluntarily isolating in my cabin yesterday due to feeling unwell.

It is a very wet day in Suva today, so not too disappointed to be missing it. Now to see if the tropical depression out here develops into a cyclone as expected.  The joys of cruising!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Not so on the current Majestic cruise. Plenty of coughing around and I have tested positive today after voluntarily isolating in my cabin yesterday due to feeling unwell.

It is a very wet day in Suva today, so not too disappointed to be missing it. Now to see if the tropical depression out here develops into a cyclone as expected.  The joys of cruising!

Sorry to hear. Take care, look after yourself.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Just got off Pacific Encounter yesterday.  At the Pantry/Buffet area I was the only one washing my hands.  Amazing no one bothered at all, Hand sanitizers were placed near entrance, just pump bottles, no one interested in them.  
For 90% of passengers there would be no problem, their alcohol intake would probably negate any issues. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jen 123 said:

The implications of these "news" stories, and comments from some people, is that its the ship lines problem. When its the people who board who bring it on board with them, or spread it because of their lax hygiene, no news story ever tries to educate people about what they should be doing, or the importance of self isolation if your unwell.

Not that I expect them to...  But would be nice if they could once in a while.🙄

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

The implications of these "news" stories, and comments from some people, is that its the ship lines problem. When its the people who board who bring it on board with them, or spread it because of their lax hygiene, no news story ever tries to educate people about what they should be doing, or the importance of self isolation if your unwell.

Not that I expect them to...  But would be nice if they could once in a while.🙄

True. And you can avoid those people or mask-up around them.

Covid has a knack that a number of those infected are asymptomatic, and that is why it has been such a challenge on cruise ships. 

The crew can also unknowingly circulate these bugs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

True. And you can avoid those people or mask-up around them.

Covid has a knack that a number of those infected are asymptomatic, and that is why it has been such a challenge on cruise ships. 

The crew can also unknowingly circulate these bugs.

Yes I have noticed crew unwell before they were absent.  Do they get paid when they can't serve people?