Possible Port change in Europe in 2024.

ISABELLA

3 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

We are booked on Sun Princess, sailing next May. With all unrest in Europe, I am wondering if Princess will make changes in itineraries. I am assuming Istanbul will be taken out... Celebrity already made changes. 

Maybe. Possibly.. probably.

Who knows what the world will look like next May, 7 months from now. 7 months ago, would you have correctly guessed what it looks like right now?

It remains to be seen.. no doubt Princess has a backup plan but won't change till closer to date as things can actually resolve instead if escalate...

It's entirely wait and see 

• Like 1

We have friends that are currently on Seabourn Encore and they overnighted in Istanbul Friday and Saturday, so some ships are still visiting.  Who knows what will happen down the road.  You can rest assured that ports will change if there is any risk.  You may be notified prior to your cruise, but it could happen while you’re onboard.  When you cruise flexibility is crucial.

I was in Kusadasi less than a week ago and the locals could not have been more friendly and welcoming. Unless Türkiye becomes directly involved in either the Ukrainian or the Israeli conflicts I see no reason to pull stops from there any more than in Greece

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

We are booked on Sun Princess, sailing next May. With all unrest in Europe, I am wondering if Princess will make changes in itineraries. I am assuming Istanbul will be taken out... Celebrity already made changes. 

which unrest in Europe? Israel is part of the Middle East and no cruise line will stop there as long as the current state continues 

Paranoia!  Princess may or may not cancel Turkey.  As long as the current conflict says within the confines of Israel/Palestine and Ukraine/Russia, there should be no reason for the cruise lines to cancel Turkey for the 2024 season.  The world doesn't need WWIII.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I was in Kusadasi less than a week ago and the locals could not have been more friendly and welcoming. Unless Türkiye becomes directly involved in either the Ukrainian or the Israeli conflicts I see no reason to pull stops from there any more than in Greece

Over on the Oceania boards there are some ticked off folks as Oceania pulled the plug on Turkey visits this month.  So there are some lines who seem to be overly cautious.

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

They have huge signs stating JEWS not welcome and they welcome Hamas. I wish they would pull Turkey from my itinerary later this month. Big Kudos to Oceania for pulling the port, better safe then sorry.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

They have huge signs stating JEWS not welcome and they welcome Hamas.

I think you will be surprised when you reach Kusadasi.  Was just there a week ago and no such thing.

There are protests in the U.S. lots of pro/against both sides in the USA.  Do you not leave your house because of this?  Also, why does one need to make their religion known while on vacation?  I would understand if one were on a religious pilgrimage, but a Princess cruise is not this.

• Like 2

Hopefully they will offer a refund if they cancel Turkey ports. I have a cruise scheduled on the Star Princess in September 2025 and the main reason for taking this voyage is the stop at Kusadasi. If it will not stop there I would rather switch to a Baltic or Japan cruise.

But, this is still a long way off so the situation will be different once we get into 2025 hopefully.

16 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I think you will be surprised when you reach Kusadasi.  Was just there a week ago and no such thing.

There are protests in the U.S. lots of pro/against both sides in the USA.  Do you not leave your house because of this?  Also, why does one need to make their religion known while on vacation?  I would understand if one were on a religious pilgrimage, but a Princess cruise is not this.

I don't make my MOT noticeable on trips but I have been advised to hide my star before. (I only take it off if I'm having surgery. That would make it 2× in my lifetime) So I won't wear a VNeck top in Rome but will attend Shabbat Services there. I'm ready!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I don't make my MOT noticeable on trips but I have been advised to hide my star before. (I only take it off if I'm having surgery. That would make it 2× in my lifetime) So I won't wear a VNeck top in Rome but will attend Shabbat Services there. I'm ready!!

Rome has a large and thriving Jewish community. No need to hide anything there. The locals, especially in the tourist areas, are very friendly and welcoming of all. 

Edit to add: as a proud, openly Jewish, Queer American I felt perfectly comfortable & welcomed everywhere I visited on this trip - Rome, Santorini, Athens, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Mykonos, Katakolon (Olympia), Corsica, Toulon and Barcelona. With the exception of Corsica I would like to spend more time in all the ports we visited. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

Just now, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I
Rome has a large and thriving Jewish community. No need to hide anything there. The locals, especially in the tourist areas, are very friendly and welcoming of all. 

I'm staying a few meters from their synagogue!! But I've been warned about the train from FCO -> Trastevere -> bus to hotel. No issue walking around the area

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

I'm staying a few meters from their synagogue!! But I've been warned about the train from FCO -> Trastevere -> bus to hotel. No issue walking around the area

Like any major city you have to use precautions against pickpockets and scammers when in high density areas. Otherwise folks tend to mind their own business on public transit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

If you have never been to the synagogue it is a "must see".  Beautiful.  They have tours.  Also, there is a museum attached to it.  We really enjoyed it. 

Just now, dickinson said:
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

If you have never been to the synagogue it is a "must see".  Beautiful.  They have tours.  Also, there is a museum attached to it.  We really enjoyed it. 

Hope to make services. Assume it's Modern Orthodox so I have my letter, verification from my shul, and will carry original passport. Each shul tends to be a little different .... turned away in Sydney with all that, accepting in at Melbourne, Paris, London, St Petersburg with virtually nothing except communicated with all offices beforehand 

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Hope to make services. Assume it's Modern Orthodox so I have my letter, verification from my shul, and will carry original passport. Each shul tends to be a little different .... turned away in Sydney with all that, accepting in at Melbourne, Paris, London, St Petersburg with virtually nothing except communicated with all offices beforehand 

Just went to their website.  It just says it is orthodox.  For services you will need to fill our a form in advance.  It is on the website.  The tours for the synagogue are through the museum.  All this is for the Great Synagogue of Rome.

IMG_1315.jpeg

• Like 1