Is paying $10 shipping for a medallion worth it?

Deep68

I am departing from Ft Lauderdale on 17th December on a Christimas cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

I do not have a package so would need to pay $10 to have the medallions shipped ahead of departure and be able to embark via green lane.

Does anyone have any recent experience embarking that could advise if there are any significant delays if you have to collect the medallion in Fort Lauderdale?

Just trying to determine if it is worth having the medallions shipped

Thanks

Edited by Deep68
Error

• Deep68 changed the title to Is paying $10 shipping for a medallion worth it?

I concur, the delay is a few minutes at the counter. 

I like to collect the cruise cards, so I asked the agent if I could still have one  (as well as the medallion). The process to get the cruise card (5 minutes in the back) took longer than waiting in line to get the medallion.

• Like 1

We were on a cruise departing Ft Lauderdale on October 24th.  This ship just came from Europe so there were extra port inspections required of Princess.  We paid the $10.00 and had no wait to check in.  There had to be hundreds of people who did not have their medallion.  Is it worth $10.00 for the possibility of a delay you might have?  Yes it is.  I would always pay the money.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It *might* slow you down by 2 minutes if not shipped beforehand. 

Or maybe 30 minutes.  Line in Galveston last week for medallions was 200+ deep when I walked past.  It was the first embarkation out of Galveston for Princess in quite some time, so it might have been teething pains and out of the ordinary.  Personal observation was there were more people without medallions than with when at the intersection to visit or bypass the medallion station.

I wouldn't pay a separate $10 just to have it shipped in any case.

Edited by Stosh68
  • Like 2

I recently made the same deliberation for our upcoming cruise out of San Pedro.  I decided to pay the $10.  I enjoy the excitement of getting them in the mail,  and in case there is a blue lane back up, I would rather have them in hand.

• Like 5

Can't say Recent but picked ours up in Fort Lauderdale last January instead of getting them mailed. We were directly behind a group that had them mailed entering the terminal and 2 people behind them boarding the ship. So YES it made a HUGE difference.  BTW also didn't even have the app on my phone since it was so glitchy for me just gave up on it. 

I don't think I would pay the $10.... I think we will just pick ours up at the pier. I think in the US that's probably easy, but I worry that international trips could have a long line for pick up. I just don't want more stuff to possibly forget at home. 

On 11/13/2023 at 2:47 PM, MLBFan24 said:

I concur, the delay is a few minutes at the counter. 

I like to collect the cruise cards, so I asked the agent if I could still have one  (as well as the medallion). The process to get the cruise card (5 minutes in the back) took longer than waiting in line to get the medallion.

Thank you.  I did not know that having the cruise card was an option.  I like the cruise card.  It seems I only need the medallion if I want to order items to be brought to my location.  Also, to automatically open my cabin door.  Am I missing any other reason I would want the medallion?  Does it come with a lanyard or some way to secure it?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coldweather said:

Thank you.  I did not know that having the cruise card was an option.  I like the cruise card.  It seems I only need the medallion if I want to order items to be brought to my location.  Also, to automatically open my cabin door.  Am I missing any other reason I would want the medallion?  Does it come with a lanyard or some way to secure it?  

The medallion comes with a lanyard, but you can buy all sorts of holders for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 3:05 PM, 10cruise said:

We were on a cruise departing Ft Lauderdale on October 24th.  This ship just came from Europe so there were extra port inspections required of Princess.  We paid the $10.00 and had no wait to check in.  There had to be hundreds of people who did not have their medallion.  Is it worth $10.00 for the possibility of a delay you might have?  Yes it is.  I would always pay the money.

I agree. We were in line for over 2 hours. I know this was unusual, but I wished I had spent the $10. My wife was not happy. We're on the Sky in January and I have paid the $10. 

• Like 2

We sailed out of Galveston this past Sunday.  There were almost no people with medallions when we were checking in and hundreds in line to pick up their medallions.  I’m not a fan of paying the $10.00, but I’ll pay it if I sail out of Galveston again.

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I am not paying for something that was previously free.  But it sounds like priority check in for Elite is gone if you don't pay for it.  Another benefit removed.

You are right about being Elite it’s not much anymore. I remember getting my black card it was a pretty good benefit not anymore 😢 I’m not sure about paying to get the medallion in the mail. Ok probably not.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 2

So I would LIKE to have our medallions mailed to me in advance. Went on the app, picked out wrist bands for both of us, and when I tried to finalize the order, it stated that home delivery would be $10, but then stated “deliver to home” was not available. Below, it had a disclaimer that those with a Plus or Premiere package receive free shipping. Well, we purchased the Premiere pkg and it has shown up on the app ever since we purchased it. But now on the app, under ‘payment method and packages’, it says, “You currently do not have any packages.” 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 My travel summary shows it, but it has disappeared from the app so no free shipping. In fact it won’t allow me to ship it at all! What the heck? Is anyone else having this problem??

I have talked to a couple of people departing out of Sydney, that said the line to pick up at port was at least 30 minutes wait due to glitches in the system and hundreds of passengers had the same idea of picking their medallions up when they arrived in port at the same time.

Edited by c-boy
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dixiejen said:

So I would LIKE to have our medallions mailed to me in advance. Went on the app, picked out wrist bands for both of us, and when I tried to finalize the order, it stated that home delivery would be $10, but then stated “deliver to home” was not available. Below, it had a disclaimer that those with a Plus or Premiere package receive free shipping. Well, we purchased the Premiere pkg and it has shown up on the app ever since we purchased it. But now on the app, under ‘payment method and packages’, it says, “You currently do not have any packages.” 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 My travel summary shows it, but it has disappeared from the app so no free shipping. In fact it won’t allow me to ship it at all! What the heck? Is anyone else having this problem??

It is a glitch which eventually will get resolved. Just keep checking app from time to time. On our first Princess sailing few month back, our package would not show up until probably a month before sailing. Only then I was able to cancel my medallions port pick up order (since I did not want to pay which was supposed to be free with Plus) and re-order home shipping for free. Medallions are not ship until about 3 weeks prior to sailing anyway. Our second sailing is in January and package has appeared now automatically and no problem to order without 10 dollars charge. 

On 11/13/2023 at 4:46 PM, DCThunder said:

Picked mine up in Southampton this summer and as said up thread, the "delay" was 2 minutes or less.  Am picking up in Civitavecchia next week, and I expect the same.

FWIW, we picked up our medallions in Civitavecchia last summer when we boarded for our Mediterranean cruise.  The wait was 2 minutes or less.  Prior to that we had a similar easy experience picking up our medallions at
Port Everglades for a Caribbean cruise.  Thus far although we book packages we have seen no reason to have our medallions mailed to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1