Yeshiva Week 2024 Cruises Check Your Dates

27 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

A lot of times, when I quote a post, I’m not necessarily responding specifically to the author, but addressing the subject of the post to assure clarity in what I’m talking about….

That's nice for you but it's seen as addressing the person you quoted.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Certainly kids behave differently and a few bad apples can ruin the barrel, but I've never personally seen most of the behaviors people attribute to "large numbers" of kids on ships.  

700 kids on Vision class during spring break.  Kids program can handle maybe 100.  Do the math.  We've seen a family get kicked off for their kids behavior, running, jumping and yelling, but hey, it IS their vacation after all.  Forget everyone else.

• Like 1

Yes, the food is Kosher.  I was not being literal, and it was a poor word choice.  I mean it's not "right" to take away an entire restaurant venue from the majority of the cruisers.  

I understand.

We are on the sailing and generally make good use of the solarium bistro both for mid day snacks and a couple of dinners during  the week.  Especially since the new menus 

I will certainly miss the convenience of having the solarium bistro right next to where I spent most of my day.   Would be nice if the cruise line had some sort of coffee/cold drink/fruit/cookie station in the solarium to keep us from having to leave the solarium to go to the  windjammer several times a day.  
m

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I understand.

We are on the sailing and generally make good use of the solarium bistro both for mid day snacks and a couple of dinners during  the week.  Especially since the new menus 

I will certainly miss the convenience of having the solarium bistro right next to where I spent most of my day.   Would be nice if the cruise line had some sort of coffee/cold drink/fruit/cookie station in the solarium to keep us from having to leave the solarium to go to the  windjammer several times a day.  
m

We spend a lot of time in the solarium on Oasis class. I don't like that they close off an entire area/restaurant for a group that's what, less than 25% of those onboard?  We booked a while ago for my DH's retirement trip and had no clue about this.   In Royal's attempt to accommodate dietary restrictions, it impacts everyone else.  It's not the same as providing gluten free, sugar free or even working around a food allergy for individuals, none of which impacts other cruisers.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

We were on Wonder in January this year.  Would never knowingly book a cruise again at this time.

And yes there were many in Sorrento's and eating at the tables there.  Have no idea if pizza was kosher but they definitely were partaking of something.  Couldn't eat at the Solarium Bistro which was very disappointing.  There were many in the Windjammer every time we went which was breakfast and lunch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

700 kids on Vision class during spring break.  Kids program can handle maybe 100.  Do the math.  We've seen a family get kicked off for their kids behavior, running, jumping and yelling, but hey, it IS their vacation after all.  Forget everyone else.

Spring Break is a totally different animal than Yeshiva Week.

1 hour ago, BND said:

We spend a lot of time in the solarium on Oasis class. I don't like that they close off an entire area/restaurant for a group that's what, less than 25% of those onboard?  We booked a while ago for my DH's retirement trip and had no clue about this.   In Royal's attempt to accommodate dietary restrictions, it impacts everyone else.  It's not the same as providing gluten free, sugar free or even working around a food allergy for individuals, none of which impacts other cruisers.  

To be certified kosher by the rabbi the entire area must adhere to to kosher restrictions. It's not the same as food allergies or gluten free for a few celiac sufferers.  And I doubt other cruisers would want to pay $70 pp just to eat there.

Yes we eat at the Bistro quite regularly on cruises. Especially breakfast.  But there are plenty of options on the Wonder to dine.

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Actually, it is Kosher. That’s the whole point of certifying and using the solarium bistro.   Passengers who select (and pay  extra) for the kosher meal program, know that they can get freshly prepared kosher meals. 

Freshly prepared meals that come out of other kitchens (MDR) would not be kosher.  What is traditionally offered is a heated pre-prepared, frozen meal for those who require kosher meals. I suspect many would prefer to pay extra for the freshly made food. Not much different than someone deciding to buy the dining package. 

M

I guess what the poster meant is it isn’t right for all the other non Kosher guests to lost a venue that they all paid for in their fare. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Like the Park Cafe just off the Solarium on Grandeur.  That was really a highlight. 

9 hours ago, Saturngrl said:

We were on the Allure in January 2020 during Yeshiva Week.  I did a lot of homework before boarding.  I know the Solarium Bistro would be closed to us.  I knew one of the elevators would be programmed to stop at every deck on Shabbat.  I knew they would not want to interact with us and their dress code.  What I didn't know is they allow their children to run around in all venues to express their energy and joy, even during worship services. 

No more Yeshiva week cruises for me....

We were on that same cruise and had the same experience. The kids were out of control! Climbing on everything, running, just acting crazy. We've been on 30+ cruises and it was like nothing we've ever experienced. We didn't know before getting on that it was Yeshiva Week. It is definitely something that we would avoid in the future.

Edited by ace1zoe2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Saturngrl said:

We were on the Allure in January 2020 during Yeshiva Week.  I did a lot of homework before boarding.  I know the Solarium Bistro would be closed to us.  I knew one of the elevators would be programmed to stop at every deck on Shabbat.  I knew they would not want to interact with us and their dress code.  What I didn't know is they allow their children to run around in all venues to express their energy and joy, even during worship services. 

No more Yeshiva week cruises for me....

I hadn’t thought of the inability to push the elevator buttons….

10 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I hadn’t thought of the inability to push the elevator buttons….

Yep. They cannot touch ANYTHING electronic once Sabbath has started. Close to where I live is a large community of Hasidic Jews and they either leave lights burning all Sabbath or hire someone to come in and turn them off.

7 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yep. They cannot touch ANYTHING electronic once Sabbath has started. Close to where I live is a large community of Hasidic Jews and they either leave lights burning all Sabbath or hire someone to come in and turn them off.

The majority of Orthodox Jews use timers for lights, and certain appliances.  No need to hire someone to do it for you.

The specific problem with an elevator is quite complex but simply put every time you push the button inside or out you are completing an electric circuit which is similar to creating a fire and hence prohibited on the Sabbath. 

By preprogramming the elevator to stop on each floor you can use it without having to push any buttons.  It increases your wait and travel time but gets you there. 

Edited by Badatz2

21 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We sailed ONCE on a holiday.  ONCE and never again.  No, the problem wasn't children; that is, the problem wasn't that we had young people.  No, the problem was an excessive number of people.  The children caused the ship to sail over capacity; if the ship sails with two people in every room, it's "full", whereas if children join their parents in a cabin, they can put the ship at "over capacity".  That meant more people in the hallways, in

If 2 people are in every cabin that is called double occupancy not full or capacity. Wonder has 5700 approx at double occupancy and nearly 7000 at capacity. 

18 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

To be certified kosher by the rabbi the entire area must adhere to to kosher restrictions. It's not the same as food allergies or gluten free for a few celiac sufferers.  And I doubt other cruisers would want to pay $70 pp just to eat there.

Yes we eat at the Bistro quite regularly on cruises. Especially breakfast.  But there are plenty of options on the Wonder to dine.

I know why they're doing it, but I don't have to like it. It's still not fair to the majority of passengers who booked expecting access to all the spaces onboard which we did pay for btw. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BND said:

I know why they're doing it, but I don't have to like it. It's still not fair to the majority of passengers who booked expecting access to all the spaces onboard which we did pay for btw. 

Access to Solarium Bistro those weeks costs only $70 ppd.  Royal will be happy to take your money.😉🤣🤣

Joking aside, I do understand your pain.  I’ve lost access to multiple venues when I discovered I was on a ship with a partial charter.  The cruiselines do not warn other passengers and it can impact their cruises.  Allowing a group to have certain venues for all or large portions of a cruise is not just Yeshiva week/Bistro/Royal thing unfortunately 

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

As a Southerner, I don't live in a hotbed of Judaism, so I ask this without any prejudice or meanness -- just looking for information:  What percentage of the Jewish community is that observant?  I mean, observant enough literally to leave the lights on?  

2 hours ago, bretts173 said:

If 2 people are in every cabin that is called double occupancy not full or capacity. Wonder has 5700 approx at double occupancy and nearly 7000 at capacity. 

No.  I learned this when I sailed a holiday ONCE (as I said before, NEVER AGAIN). 

I learned this when I went into the MDR to search out our table on Day 1 and found we'd been assigned to a little side room ... kinda like being at the kids' table at Thanksgiving.  I asked to be moved to "a real table", and I was told that couldn't happen because the ship was "over capacity".  That sounded dangerous to me, so I asked for a clarification.    

37 minutes ago, BND said:

Agree.  All restaurants -- including Solarium Bistro -- are presented to passengers as a part of the cruise.  It's dishonest to wait until you're onboard and take away that venue.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

As a Southerner, I don't live in a hotbed of Judaism, so I ask this without any prejudice or meanness -- just looking for information:  What percentage of the Jewish community is that observant?  I mean, observant enough literally to leave the lights on?  

No.  I learned this when I sailed a holiday ONCE (as I said before, NEVER AGAIN). 

I learned this when I went into the MDR to search out our table on Day 1 and found we'd been assigned to a little side room ... kinda like being at the kids' table at Thanksgiving.  I asked to be moved to "a real table", and I was told that couldn't happen because the ship was "over capacity".  That sounded dangerous to me, so I asked for a clarification.    

Agree.  All restaurants -- including Solarium Bistro -- are presented to passengers as a part of the cruise.  It's dishonest to wait until you're onboard and take away that venue.  

We also said never again after two different spring break cruises.   

Most Jews aren't even practicing much less kosher.  For many, it's a cultural thing, but there are those that do keep kosher.  In a family we've known for years out of the 4 children (all adults) only 1 keeps kosher (and their kids are about the same %) and the rest never go to services.  We've had other friends who also have about the same in their families.    We also know several converts to Christianity and we've talked about it.  We do late dining which usually means less people in the MDR and fewer children than early or MTD but we have been stuck way back in a corner on one cruise and ended up moving to a table with another couple we met.  When I say corner, I mean as far to the front of the MDR as you can get up against a wall with no room to pull the back chair out.  

1 hour ago, BND said:

Though its similar to when lounges or areas of the ship are closed for large groups. I remember one transatlantic when the VC lounge was closed every night for diamond happy hour between 4 and 8, just the time when hubby and I liked to go up there for pre dinner drinks and watch the sun set .  As we were pre Diamond then,  our favourite lounge was denied us every evening 

• Like 1

If you add the Hasidic Ultra Orthodox, Orthodox and part of the Traditional Jews together you probably get about 20-25%.  Very few of those would "hire someone".  As I mentioned previously most people including myself use timers

• Like 1