Anyone concerned?

uneamie

We have a cruise booked for June on Joy out of NYC. My son and his girlfriend are booked as well. My son just told me that he and his girlfriend are considering canceling the cruise due to all the war issues and threats to the US from the terrorist. Apparently there is some warning from the FBI that an attact to the US is a real possibility. My son is afraid that a cruise ship is a huge target of thousands of people. He is very on the fence about going to any large gatherings and on the cruise ship for the time being. Personally we are up in age and not as concerned....but maybe just a wee bit. How does everyone else feel about the currant state of affairs and our safety??? 

• Haha 4

I think it's sad some people choose to live in fear. Sure there is a possibility that the terrorists target a cruise ship but there is a greater chance your plane crashes on way to catch your cruise. And an even greater chance your ride to the airport gets in a wreck on way to airport. Or you can choke on breakfast before you leave home. I could go on and on.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, uneamie said:

We have a cruise booked for June on Joy out of NYC. My son and his girlfriend are booked as well. My son just told me that he and his girlfriend are considering canceling the cruise due to all the war issues and threats to the US from the terrorist. Apparently there is some warning from the FBI that an attact to the US is a real possibility. My son is afraid that a cruise ship is a huge target of thousands of people. He is very on the fence about going to any large gatherings and on the cruise ship for the time being. Personally we are up in age and not as concerned....but maybe just a wee bit. How does everyone else feel about the currant state of affairs and our safety??? 

There should be zero concern. In reality, you should be more concerned about walking around NYC. 

• Like 24
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, uneamie said:

We have a cruise booked for June on Joy out of NYC. My son and his girlfriend are booked as well. My son just told me that he and his girlfriend are considering canceling

I personally don't have any concerns, and it sounds as though your son and his girlfriend may be overreacting to current events.

I would probably suggest to your son that June is more than half a year away and a LOT of things will change between now and then, with the likely result being a reduction in tensions in the middle east region.  Its a bit premature / hasty to be panicking about it now.   

You mentioned the Joy, which is only doing Bermuda itineraries that month.  I'd also suggest that this is about as far removed from harms way as you could ask for. Its not like you were planning on visiting the middle east.   Bermuda's location and demographics make it an unlikely target.

• Like 4

I am the most risk adverse person in the world especially after being in a passenger flight that almost crashed, a major earthquake where I thought the building was going to collapse and being near a volcano that blew up.  Being on a cruise ship that was attacked wasn’t even in my Top 100 things to be worried about.  A yacht being taken over by pirates, that I have thought about.  

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, firstimer2009 said:

I am the most risk adverse person in the world especially after being in a passenger flight that almost crashed, a major earthquake where I thought the building was going to collapse and being near a volcano that blew up.  Being on a cruise ship that was attacked wasn’t even in my Top 100 things to be worried about.  A yacht being taken over by pirates, that I have thought about.  

Firstimer, I think I would only be worried if you happened to be on the cruise, considering the horrible and scary luck you have had 😉 But back to the OP,  do you know how many cruise ships are in the ocean at a given time?  What are the odds that even if a cruise ship were targeted, it would be the one your family was on.  I would think if a ship were a target, it would more likely be a military vessal than a passenger ship that isn't even flagged in America.  Nope I will just stick with my usual cruise fears of Covid, Neuro and having to be out of bed early enough for the room steward to clean my cabin.

• Haha 7

Thanks to those who responded. I was simply trying to get another viewpoint on the subject. I don't need a lecture on how silly it seems.  I understand the "overly fearful" issue. That said, when you have had people you care about die in the towers on 9-11 it brings terror to your doorstep and you don't forget it easily. I don't think everyone who lived through all that lives in fear but I do think many see the world differently than others. Sad of course....that said, I will still be going. Not sure about my son and his girlfriend. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Thanks to those who responded. I was simply trying to get another viewpoint on the subject. I don't need a lecture on how silly it seems.  I understand the "overly fearful" issue. That said, when you have had people you care about die in the towers on 9-11 it brings terror to your doorstep and you don't forget it easily. I don't think everyone who lived through all that lives in fear but I do think many see the world differently than others. Sad of course....that said, I will still be going. Not sure about my son and his girlfriend. 

No one can live in fear. I feel that is what people are saying. I’ve lost friends and colleagues in 9/11 but that doesn’t stop me from travelling or visiting places. You’re not visiting anywhere near the war zone. Don’t let them win by staying at home or your son stay at home. They want to install fear. 

without being rude there are mass shootings all

over the US. I’d be more concerned about that than a terrorist attack on a cruise ship  

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, DominicAUS said:

No one can live in fear. I feel that is what people are saying. I’ve lost friends and colleagues in 9/11 but that doesn’t stop me from travelling or visiting places. You’re not visiting anywhere near the war zone. Don’t let them win by staying at home or your son stay at home. They want to install fear. 

without being rude there are mass shootings all

over the US. I’d be more concerned about that than a terrorist attack on a cruise ship  

That said....I did say I was still going regardless.  It is my son who is much more concerned. And yes, we are all concerned about the mass shootings that can happen anywhere. I don't think I can pick what I am more concerned about anymore because every day there's something new. If I turn off the news I can maybe live with a false sense of security but I tend to be a control freak and need to know what's going on around me. I will enjoy my cruise and simply pray I don't get sea sick. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Echoing the sentiment from others....

Sorry your son and his girlfriend feel that way.  Their fear/concern seems absurdly out of proportion to reality.

"Sorry your son and his girlfriend feel that way".....it would have been nice if you had left it at that. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

I am more concerned about being in a shopping mall ( the SOFTEST of targets) than on a cruise ship.  I can understand the fear issue, but at his age, he cannot live a bubble ( he will never get out of the house).  One just has to be aware of the surrounding at all times just incase something should happen, .Where is the exit in order for a quick getaway?.......Is anyone acting strange around me ( like agitated, talking to themselves)?  Hopefully, things will be a bit calmer by your cruise.  If he still has reservations, tell them they can cancel before final payment is made, but just let all ride out until then.  I hope they get to go on the cruise.  

• Like 2

In case of any possible attack cruise ships are the safest places on the planet.

It is practically impossible to get on them with any kind of weapon, no matter whether in port or at sea.

And we all know that terrorists(any any other kind of criminals) always look for the easiest targets.

It is more likely to be shot during shopping at a grocery store than being attacked on a cruise ship.

I’m a doomsday downer, always pointing out how things could go wrong with zero logic (except Covid, I predicted the outcome before it even got to the US, my kids even admitted “omg mom was actually right this time”), I wouldn’t be concerned about an attack on a cruise ship (rogue wave, that’s another story…).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uneamie said:

I taught at Stuyvesant H.S. on 9/11 so I can understand the fear that NYers have.  But the difference here is that the WTC was a very well known potential target prior to 9/11.  The head of Morgan Stanley's security made every employee run drills twice a year in which they practiced evacuating their WTC offices by walking down the stairs.  Only 13 of their employees didn't make it out that day, including him.  He had the opportunity to leave but refused, wanting to go back up to make sure all the other employees had safely evacuated.

If your cruise were scheduled to visit Egypt or Turkey I could understand their concern and would say that you'd need to wait until closer to June to see how the situation unfolds and then make a decision about how they feel about whether or not they need to cancel.  But honestly I felt safer in Bermuda than I do in parts of NYC, so  I'm not sure there's much to evaluate here.  But if they aren't going to feel safe enough to relax and enjoy themselves, then they should cancel. 

• Like 3