Anyone concerned?

uneamie

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Let's do this the 🐀way!  🐀's love great music.😎

Dang....that looks like it was taken from a Sony Trinitron!

Love Stills' and Neil Young's "mutton chops".

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I once had a girlfriend who was scared to go on a cruise. She kept bringing up the Titanic and other unfortunate events. After the longest time of trying to convince her that they did not have icebergs in the Carribean I finally talked her into going on one. We flew to San Juan a couple days early and the morning before the cruise I turned on the TV and lo and behold there is the Costa Concordia laying on its side. And then next to me I heard this voice say "Don't you dare change that channel!!!" I remember thinking this is not good. But she did get on the ship. She hit it off with a couple lady's she met at the pool that were on the same cruise and between the three of us with some assistance from Johnnie Walker we coaxed her onboard.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

She hit it off with a couple lady's she met at the pool that were on the same cruise and between the three of us with some assistance from Johnnie Walker we coaxed her onboard.

Yes. Scotch will often help with whatever it is that ails you.  (I almost typed "ales," which could also be true but on a different level)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

The assumption that your son isn’t an experienced traveller is probably the kindest. The other assumptions could be that he actually doesn’t really want to go on this trip or that he is lacking critical thinking skills. If he genuinely thinks his cruise vacation is riskier than his life traveling and playing big music venues then he may benefit from talking with a professional about his fears. If he’s using it as an excuse to not go on vacation with you then he would also benefit from talking to a professional about it as well.

OMG! :classic_ohmy: You are kidding right? He has no problem going on this cruise with us....he is the one who asked us to go in the first place. You are creating a tremendous theory about someone you don't even know. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, Catchum said:

My parents lived with through WW11 bombings. I grew up with the fear of being killed by Irish Catholic bombers, my son grew up with the fear of Islamic extremist bombers, non of us ever allowed our fear to influence our actions. Statistically I believe most people die within 5 miles of their home so travel is the safest option. 

Great book by Lesli Richardson (can't remember the tile) has a cruise ship as a terrorist target but it all ends OK and it is fiction.

Speed 2 - Cruise Control?

50 minutes ago, uneamie said:

OMG! :classic_ohmy: You are kidding right? He has no problem going on this cruise with us....he is the one who asked us to go in the first place. You are creating a tremendous theory about someone you don't even know. :classic_rolleyes:

The point is no, no one else is seriously concerned of cruise ships being a target. If your son has this fear it’s not justified. Something else is behind this and there are lots of possibilities. Since you didn’t give people information then theories will be made. I never said your son didn’t want to go but asked if it could be one of the several options as to why he has this unfounded fear of cruise ships specifically.

He should however talk to someone about his fear and figure out the root of it.

• Like 6

On 11/17/2023 at 10:14 PM, uneamie said:

How does everyone else feel about the currant state of affairs and our safety??? 

There has never been a time in humanity's history when there has not been war, various types of unrest, natural disasters, communicable diseases, and people doing terrible things to each other and there never will be. 

Being in a band, your son likely has some knowledge of the murder of Dimebag Darrell, the Station Nightclub fire, the attack at the Bataclan and the mass shooting at the Rte 91 Harvest Festival at the Mandalay Bay, just to name a few.  Yet it sounds like he's still playing so he must realize that the vast majority of events taking place do so safely and without issue. 

Everyone has different comfort levels with risk and can live their lives accordingly.  I don't believe there is such a thing as total safety.  Even if I only stayed in my home and didn't interact with anyone I could still slip in my shower, fall down the stairs, or choke on food, to say nothing about cancer which could be spreading without my knowledge.  Or my house could suddenly fall through a sinkhole or be destroyed by a hurricane.

So I make the best of the time I have and life my life as "be aware but not beware."  Like I'm not going to sit on the railing of my stateroom's balcony because that would be dumb and I could fall off.  But I'm also not going to go out on the balcony and worry that a rogue wave will suddenly toss me overboard.   

Personally, I'm not worried about taking cruises right now.

After five pages and over 100 responses, it is clear that your son's fears, while very real to him, are what the majority of respondents would call irrational. Having said that, if he is that concerned, there is no way he should consider going on this cruise. He will be constantly on edge, fearful of what's lurking in the sea at night, jumping at every unexpected noise or bump in the ocean. And heaven forbid...a lack of hash browns. A cruise should be a time of relaxation...not trepidation.

I'm not a psychologist, and unlike Bob Newhart I don't play one on TV...but in my totally unprofessional opinion, your son is better off on dry land where apparently he feels "safe".

Edited by schmoopie17

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I'm more concerned about my robot vacuum getting stuck under the coffee table while we are on a cruise than any "Danger" we might run into

Or...it getting stuck in a place where I can't find it a week later (personal experience)!

• Like 1

OP....getting back to your original concerns (or your son's in this instance).  After all the comments, the bottom line is anyone who doesn't feel comfortable cruising, don't force them.  If they want to cancel, let them cancel.  Sailing with anyone who's uncomfortable doing so, regardless of the reason, will be unhappy.  And in turn, probably make your cruise less than fun.

Who knows?  Maybe cruise ships are targets?  I find it highly, highly unlikely.  But, anything's possible.  I think that's true whether it's today, tomorrow, next week, next year, next 5 years.  

Trying to convince someone to go on a cruise when they are scared probably will exhaust you and them.  Tell them you understand and let them cancel.

Go!  Have fun!  Don't let anyone else affect your enjoyment!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

After the longest time of trying to convince her that they did not have icebergs in the Carribean 

Climate change, bro. 

18 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I survived the Drake Passage … best jostling ever. 

Don't threaten me with a good time. 

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Who knows?  Maybe cruise ships are targets?  

Cruise ships are definitely a target. But not for people or organizations that have the means to actually do it. A couple of guys off the coast of Mogadishu? Sure. An organized paramilitary group? They're usually smarter than that. 

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Or...it getting stuck in a place where I can't find it a week later (personal experience)!

Our old one use to do that but our new one is fantastic. It vacuums, mops, cleans itself. Even has a built in camera so I can drive it around lol. Dreame L20 now 30% off   https://amzn.to/47FrdhK

Edited by Laszlo

9 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Our old one use to do that but our new one is fantastic. It vacuums, mops, cleans itself. Even has a built in camera so I can drive it around lol. Dreame L20 now 30% off   https://amzn.to/47FrdhK

Cool!  Thanks!

My old one (Eufy) would get stuck in an empty room.  I have a Roborock, which is similar….much better!

https://us.roborock.com/pages/roborock-q-revo

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I am currently on the Viva TA. The only terrorist I experienced on board was a toddler throwing Cheerios at me from his stroller. It was a drive by. Security now interviewing persons of interest. 

At least mini wheats weren’t in his arsenal. Those things are big and have sharp edges.

• Haha 5

Did everyone forget the terror attack on the MS Achille Lauro in 1985? Men from the PLO hijacked the ship for 2 days  they threw a Jewish man who was wheelchair bound overboard.  It's not like there's still a conflict between Israel and Palestine today. (Oh wait) It has happened before because of those 2 Waring states. No need to laugh at someones concern.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

Did everyone forget the terror attack on the MS Achille Lauro in 1985? Men from the PLO hijacked the ship for 2 days  they threw a Jewish man who was wheelchair bound overboard.  It's not like there's still a conflict between Israel and Palestine today. (Oh wait) It has happened before because of those 2 Waring states. No need to laugh at someones concern.  

It was already discussed within this thread.

• Like 2

Something to think about (and your son to think about)- there are many, many posts here from people when their checkin luggage was pulled to the "naughty room" for power strips, small appliances, alcohol in listerine bottles, etc. This brings me peace of mind that every piece of cargo going on the ship with us has been screened throughly.  

In the same vein of worrying - when ships stop at ports that have travel warnings from the US - having a good, safe experience is how these companies profit.  They are not going to travel to any port that they feel will put a large amount of people in danger. Back in 2012, we stopped in St. Croix- it was the first time major cruise lines stopped there after years, because the ships pulled St. Croix from their itinearies because it wasn't safe for their customers to travel at the time. 

All travel assumes risk, but cruise ships will go above and beyond for safety as any incident (especially after COVID and their tremendous loss) of bad publicity that scares away customers is bad business.

That being said, we will be on the Joy in June for our 5th time to Bermuda and our 3rd time on the Joy. It is our absolute favorite itineary - Bermuda is friendly, safe and clean. We hope to see you there!

Edited by psuboater