Can introverts survive cruises?

esmex

We've just booked our first cruise (Celebrity Greece and Turkey). Excited because I love the itinerary. I love train and ferry travel and dislike flying - I've been on 24 hour ferries but never a cruise. We're pretty quiet people and of course we have a cabin to retreat to. But I hope there willl be some quiet, intimate public  spaces when the crowds get to be too much. Am I delusional for having booked this?

4 hours ago, esmex said:

We've just booked our first cruise (Celebrity Greece and Turkey). Excited because I love the itinerary. I love train and ferry travel and dislike flying - I've been on 24 hour ferries but never a cruise. We're pretty quiet people and of course we have a cabin to retreat to. But I hope there willl be some quiet, intimate public  spaces when the crowds get to be too much. Am I delusional for having booked this?

I would post on the Celebrity forum here on Cruise Critic and ask for advice on where the quiet spots are for whatever ship you booked.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, esmex said:

We've just booked our first cruise (Celebrity Greece and Turkey).

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising! I see you've found your Roll Call, that is one place to ask your question. Here is the other:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

Mention your particular ship and repost the question!

I'm also an introvert and I love cruising in Europe. I don't love Caribbean cruises as much, where there tends to be more focus on partying by the pool. I also didn't love cruises before most stopped having set dining times and being seated with strangers. We cruise Princess and always get a table for two. We have a great time seeing sites without the hassle of packing up and arranging travel between sites. There are always plenty of quiet spaces on the ship. Traveling in Europe can be sensory overload and the cruise ship is the perfect place to unwind in the evening. I think you will have such a great time!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

its what you decide to do on board that will determine if you enjoy your cruise.  There are many many places to sit quietly and read.  Many places to sit and people watch.  Many places to strike  up small conversations ( like...Hi how are you?  have you been on many cruises?  what's your best cruise?).  You dont need to become friends with anyone, but just polite conversations will help make your cruise experience enjoyable.  And who knows, maybe someone is not as introverted as they think.  These days there are many solo cruisers on board who are not looking for life long friends ( unless that's what you want), but just want to chat with folks while cruising.  

• Thanks 1

On my last cruise there was one evening I was trying to fit a quiet spot and couldn’t. Usually there’s always a spot you can find that isn’t people focused but I wasn’t feeling well and needed actual quiet. So I ended up back in my cabin that evening for a while. Celebrity is a good choice. That last cruise was with my mom who is very social but that’s why she went to social areas.

• Thanks 1

I don't see why not--I'm a major introvert and I've survived all 4 of my cruises 😆

We almost never go to the buffet, preferring to get a table for 2 in the MDR for breakfasts and dinners.

We've only used the pools when there were very few other people in them--one time we got back early on a port day and had the pool to ourselves.

We can usually find loungers in less populated areas and just lay there reading or sunbathing in peace (except one time there was a loud family group that kind of ruined it)

We mostly do our own thing and participate in activities that sound fun, but mostly just as observers.

The cabin is great for de-peopling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool introvert, and I love cruising (admittedly, I cruise solo, which likely helps.) I take my ereader, my knitting, my headphones and podcasts/ebooks, and do my own thing. It's the perfect introvert's vacation, if you want it to be. (I will note that I've only cruised with HAL and Cunard, which tend to a slightly older clientele, so I can't speak to how other lines fare when it comes to providing quiet spots to de-people.)  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I are both introverts and we love to go on cruises, and usually cruise on Celebrity. He is more of an introvert that I am and he spends a lot of time reading in the Relaxation Room or Library, on the Lawn, or even in our cabin.

There are always quiet places - Celebrity isn't known for attracting a party crowd. On several ships there's a library and card room, and even the Solarium pool is a nice place to sit during the day or evening. The Sky Lounge is often quiet during until around cocktail hour. Even if there are other people around, most people don't strike up a conversation with strangers and if they do and you don't want to visit, just wish them well and excuse yourself. 

• Thanks 1

I would say that my husband and I are introverts for the most part.  We will engage if you engage us, but we rarely start conversations.  We are comfortable and good just doing our thing, with meals at tables for two and finding spots alone when we move about the ship. 

My experience in general is that very few people actually approach us.

If we do engage with anyone it is because we have been with them several times on an excursion and that familiarity has prompted a hello from their side.

I think that it will be the vibe that you throw off that will lead the way - or not.  

Don't think that if you go on a cruise, you are suddenly "on stage" and have to talk to everyone.  I have gone days on a cruise ship not actually speaking to anyone but crew and my husband.  

The big question here is if you don't want to engage, and you find yourself on a ship that does not have tables for two at lunch or dinner, then you may be challenged.  On our last River Cruise, there were not tables for two, and even though we had a couple that we tended to sit with, there were often others that would sit at the table and other than nod a hello when sitting down, would not engage during the meal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, esmex said:

As others have said what you choose to do or not to do on a cruise will dictate your enjoyment.  Crowds are not everywhere and there are no activities you are required to do on board that would force you into crowded situations. Do you have a veranda stateroom?  If so, your deck is your own private space as well. (If you don't, I would consider changing to one).

Celebrity ships unusually have a library on board that is quiet and uncrowded as well as a number of smaller venues that you can enjoy. The Sky Observation Lounge is a large space that usually has small, individual seating space available. Try the promenade deck outside for less crowded outdoor spaces. 

Certain bars will be crowded and there will typically be lines waiting to enter the dining venues. But other than that, ships are not sardine cans and there will always be somewhere on board that will be quiet and away from crowds.  You are not delusional for booking this cruise and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, esmex said:

I'm an introvert, though not an extreme introvert; and I love cruising!  

You won't find me in the center of things in a bar every evening, but I find plenty to enjoy.  I'm comfortable going to the shows, the buffet, and more.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 9:06 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

As others have said what you choose to do or not to do on a cruise will dictate your enjoyment.  Crowds are not everywhere and there are no activities you are required to do on board that would force you into crowded situations. Do you have a veranda stateroom?  If so, your deck is your own private space as well. (If you don't, I would consider changing to one).

Celebrity ships unusually have a library on board that is quiet and uncrowded as well as a number of smaller venues that you can enjoy. The Sky Observation Lounge is a large space that usually has small, individual seating space available. Try the promenade deck outside for less crowded outdoor spaces. 

Certain bars will be crowded and there will typically be lines waiting to enter the dining venues. But other than that, ships are not sardine cans and there will always be somewhere on board that will be quiet and away from crowds.  You are not delusional for booking this cruise and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Thanks. Good to know rhete are some small.spaces. YouTube walkthroughs make it look like a series of huge open spaces.

I am as introverted as they come and I love cruising. And I really mean that - I work remotely, rarely go anywhere, and spend time with very few people besides my husband and my pets.

Cruising is so great because can do whatever you want, 24 hours a day. You can sit alone in your room, or hang out anywhere on the ship alone.  A few people might try to strike up a conversation, but you can always keep it brief and polite if you don't want to talk. Or, bring a book or headphones to show you don't want to be disturbed. Personally, I found myself being less introverted on cruises because I know that I'll probably never see any of these people again, so I feel more free to be myself and have fun. I don't mind the occasional friendly conversation with a stranger, or doing things I would never normally do like participating in games or going to karaoke. I find cruising very freeing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry, you're going to love it! Worry more about packing the right things, including motion sickness medicine in case you need it. Maybe a book if you like reading and want to do that.

Cheers and enjoy your first sailing!!

• Like 1

My husband had a hard time on our Thanksgiving cruise. It was full, it was the Caribbean and we didn’t fully understand the big ships as it was our first one. 

All in all, he enjoyed it but if it were just the two of us, we would do a different time of year. 

• Like 1

I've just left the first time cruiser category. Took a cruise on Grand Princess in November - just a short break, to "dip our toes in the water" and see if we liked it.

We did.

The ship had a lovely library, where I could see several introverts introverting together. (In other words, relaxed in their own chairs with their own choices of book.)

I chose to sit in the atrium sometimes. It was noisier than I like it, but there was live music, a lovely coffee shop (hot chocolate was divine) and a place that served snacks like sandwiches and tiny quiches and cakes. The combination of live music and good food called to me like a siren's song. 

I just wish they hadn't put a bar in the atrium area.

I rarely saw anyone in the art gallery, but when I did they were quiet. And (of course) there was art.

I found the lido deck and higher were too cold and windy for me: because November is in Australia's late autumn, and we were sailing in the coldest waters.

I missed out on most of the events: we didn't really go looking for them. I would have liked to see the show, but we probably were eating at the time. We chose to go to dining places outside of the busy times, which is an introversion paradise.

(BTW, the food we had was great, but don't try to go to food places on the top deck if you didn't bring your winter wear and you're on a cold-weather cruise. Take it from me, not worth it!)

I guess the thing to say is: enjoy your cruise. Do go explore the ship, you'll probably find nooks where there's a quiet lounge close to a source of tasty sandwiches and great hot chocolate.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 12:07 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm an introvert, though not an extreme introvert; and I love cruising!  

You won't find me in the center of things in a bar every evening, but I find plenty to enjoy.  I'm comfortable going to the shows, the buffet, and more.  

I think the cruise ships provide plenty of comfortable places where forced engagement with the folks around you is not required.  Most places in fact.    

On 12/8/2023 at 6:23 AM, JVes said:

I've just left the first time cruiser category. Took a cruise on Grand Princess in November - just a short break, to "dip our toes in the water" and see if we liked it.

We did.

The ship had a lovely library, where I could see several introverts introverting together. (In other words, relaxed in their own chairs with their own choices of book.)

I chose to sit in the atrium sometimes. It was noisier than I like it, but there was live music, a lovely coffee shop (hot chocolate was divine) and a place that served snacks like sandwiches and tiny quiches and cakes. The combination of live music and good food called to me like a siren's song. 

I just wish they hadn't put a bar in the atrium area.

I rarely saw anyone in the art gallery, but when I did they were quiet. And (of course) there was art.

I found the lido deck and higher were too cold and windy for me: because November is in Australia's late autumn, and we were sailing in the coldest waters.

I missed out on most of the events: we didn't really go looking for them. I would have liked to see the show, but we probably were eating at the time. We chose to go to dining places outside of the busy times, which is an introversion paradise.

(BTW, the food we had was great, but don't try to go to food places on the top deck if you didn't bring your winter wear and you're on a cold-weather cruise. Take it from me, not worth it!)

I guess the thing to say is: enjoy your cruise. Do go explore the ship, you'll probably find nooks where there's a quiet lounge close to a source of tasty sandwiches and great hot chocolate.

Those few quiet spots are what I'll hope for.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:02 AM, esmex said:

I am in the same "boat" as you, and yes you will be fine.

On the first day if we are on a ship we don't know, we check out places that look like good options for us to hang out and read. You can also look at the deck plans of the ship you will be on and find which decks you want to check out in advance.

We always find some place where I can watch the ocean, in addition to our balcony.

Give me a ship out to sea, an iPad mini full of books, and I am happy. We've been everywhere we wanted to go, so we don't even need to get off the ship. 

I hope you enjoy your first cruise, it is a wonderful way to travel. 

On 12/18/2023 at 11:57 PM, melusina said:

Those few quiet spots are what I'll hope for.

They'll be there. They might take a bit of searching, because the main areas are specifically designed to be exciting and enticing. But go off the beaten path and you'll find introversion zones.

• 1 month later...

Other than the pool area on sea days and the MDR and buffet during meal times, there are a ton of places on the ship where you can get away.

On my last cruise on the HAL Eurodam, I would generally disappear to the library, during the day, the walking track early in the morning and the observation lounge after 8 pm and never encountered a crowd.  During the day, I would head to a lounge area around a closed bar and just relax.

You can almost always request a table for one or two.  Personally, we generally eat dinner with the same two or three couples every night and have been very fortunate to find people with similar interests.

As one other thread says, "You do you."

As a night owl, I almost always close the buffet or the last food option that is open at night.  I have some great discussions with the various crew members, especially those practicing their English skills and the ship's entertainers.

• Like 1