Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

I totally agree about the staff in Luminae, our waiter for most of the 40 nights was Dev but he was occasionally taken to serve the top suites if they ate in Luminae. They were all good and friendly that served us in his absence. 

Curious - how was your food experience?    We eat late and maybe the chef is not as attentive to details.  

One night our dinner was really slow.   Our waiter apologized that they had a problem in the kitchen.  

when pressed he said 2 of the chefs were getting things in the refrigerator and got locked in.   They had to get security to get them out.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Redking said:

Just glorious Jim. I saw on FB that the weather was good. Mother nature most definitely came to the party today. They say that the sun shines on the righteous 😉

You rolled out the “Red” Carpet for us. 

It was incredible weather.   A little cool in the morning but shirtsleeve weather in the afternoon. 

We are now headed out to Sea on a straight line for Sydney.     Supposed to be a nice crossing. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I hope things improve on your sailing.    I have to say our experience in Luminae may only be a 7.   The waiters and assistant waiters a 10+   Somellier -- 7    Food --- 6-7.  

My ratings are based on a number of factors.    Food quality mixed.   

I think the main thing I'm noticing on Edge is that they have dropped the ball on what was always sold.  Meals individually prepared to order.    It is very apparent that meals are being made in advance like in the MDR on other ships.    Many dishes come out in piping hot dishes but the food itself is warm at best and on a couple occasions was cold inside as thought it was refrigerated and then reheated. 

Last night I had the Carbonara which I had previously had.    There was too much past and it was on the dry side.    We specifically asked to cut the amount of Pasta by 50%.     It came out so dry and the noodles were obviously pre-cooked and were a glob of starchy pasta in a big lump.    Our waiter tried to rescue by getting something else and finally brought out two bowls of extra sauce.     I ate about 1/4 and gave up.  

I'm convinced the problem is the management and kitchen staff.   The wait staff is really trying hard and getting us dishes from Blu and MDR.     Actually some of the food from MDR is much better that what has been coming out of Luminae Kitchen.

Do you think your ship is just a bit ‘off standard’ or a reflection that there are so many suite guests to serve? A general E class issue or ship based?

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious - how was your food experience?    We eat late and maybe the chef is not as attentive to details.  

One night our dinner was really slow.   Our waiter apologized that they had a problem in the kitchen.  

when pressed he said 2 of the chefs were getting things in the refrigerator and got locked in.   They had to get security to get them out.  

We ate earlier but service could be slow 30 minutes between courses, we tended to eat around 7 to 7.30 so you could say it was peak time.Sometimes it was as if a sauce was missed on pasta and the plate was hot but food lukewarm to cold. We would mention it to the waiter and he would rectify it, but it should not happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this is indeed an E class problem. We have had excellent food in Luminae on Eclipse. Hot food hot, cold food cold, plates to match. However, there are no berries to be had. And I’m allergic to melons, so no fruit for me.

55 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

I wonder if this is indeed an E class problem. We have had excellent food in Luminae on Eclipse. Hot food hot, cold food cold, plates to match. However, there are no berries to be had. And I’m allergic to melons, so no fruit for me.

Jim, I am really enjoying your prose and photos. I studied the online iPhone course you recommended a while back yet do not have the ability to capture the essence and emotion of the experience like you do. You certainly have the photographer's eye and thank you for sharing.

As far as the food in Luminae, it is more of an E class problem in my opinion, and may apply to other ships, but is amplified on E class. Too many tables to individually cook the food in a timely manner, so more banquet style preparation. Ever work in a restaurant kitchen? Ever wonder how large chains, like The Cheesecake Factory, serve masses of customers in a timely manner with such an extensive menu? Not by cooking it fresh for each person. Prime rib is fine as is pot roast, pulled pork and brisket - since they are always cooked ahead of time. Lasagna is fine but carbonara not so much. A baked potato is fine but those fries need to be cooked in real time. Really need to choose wisely and then hope they use good quality ingredients.

The noise level in the dining areas on E class is a huge problem for me too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You rolled out the “Red” Carpet for us. 

It was incredible weather.   A little cool in the morning but shirtsleeve weather in the afternoon. 

We are now headed out to Sea on a straight line for Sydney.     Supposed to be a nice crossing. 

So lucky you’ve not in the Cairns region.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Any idea why there is a lifeboat in Milford sound?

Might be tendering? They sometimes offer an overland overnight excursion between Milford and Dunedin (our vice versa) so that you can see Queenstown and parts of Otago. Jim?

• Like 2

Jim, this post was just posted on FB by a Retreat passenger on the Summit, have you heard anything about this on the Edge?

"Onboard Summit. Was told just now in the Retreat lounge by the bar server, confirmed by the Suite Manager and the F&B that they will upcharge for wines priced above the premium package. This is a big issue since ALL of the wines we used to drink are now above the premium package. Apparently has always been Celebrity policy but previously not an issue because the popular wines used to be within the premium package".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Jim, this post was just posted on FB by a Retreat passenger on the Summit, have you heard anything about this on the Edge?

"Onboard Summit. Was told just now in the Retreat lounge by the bar server, confirmed by the Suite Manager and the F&B that they will upcharge for wines priced above the premium package. This is a big issue since ALL of the wines we used to drink are now above the premium package. Apparently has always been Celebrity policy but previously not an issue because the popular wines used to be within the premium package".

Another bait and switch. Prefer a la carte versus being forced to buy a premium package when in suites, which mostly we are…  Do have two CC sailing’s upcoming and have no packages.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bnurick said:

Another bait and switch. Prefer a la carte versus being forced to buy a premium package when in suites, which mostly we are…  Do have two CC sailing’s upcoming and have no packages.

The only way to book in the Retreat is with the PDP and Wi-Fi, no choice but to take the AI, unless you make a move up bid from a verandah with no AI.

Just now, terrydtx said:

The only way to book in the Retreat is with the PDP and Wi-Fi, no choice but to take the AI, unless you make a move up bid from a verandah with no AI.

Agree. One reason we are moving to CC class it seems for certain future sailings. Just pay as we go…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bnurick said:

Agree. One reason we are moving to CC class it seems for certain future sailings. Just pay as we go…

Instead of down sizing from Retreat, we are just moving on to other cruise lines, including HAL and Oceania.

• Like 9