Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is an example of how dynamic air rates can be.   I started tracking the first day the airlines opened for booking about 11 months out.   Yeah another adventure to follow. My DH has our computer to run everyday to check airfaire for us to for our upcoming trips and has already save three time on our airfare to Honolulu and then from Vancouver for our next cruise.  Can’t wait to see how your new phone works haven’t upgrade my phone yet.  Safe travels on your long flight.  Looking forward to your reading list this trip.  

Lisa 

image.thumb.png.6262dbb5ebecd1269594044ba8d94a10.png

7 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

And since we had to cancel our TA from Rome due to illness..

I am very sorry you did not get to go on your TA because of illness. That is very disappointing, for sure. Like you said, though, following @Jim_Iain’s journey virtually is going to be fun! We have some GREAT “Live” reviewers on these boards, and it is such a pleasure to get to tag along!

Edited by DingoMom
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CTSandy said:

Excited to read you’re off on another trip.  I really enjoy your live reports - hope you have a great cruise, while I follow along!

Welcome along --- You will hear me say many times.   Feel conformable in jumping in.  As you also get to know me I love to learn more about those that will be around for a month. 

19 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

Looking forward to continuing this adventure. I’ve really enjoyed Norwaylady’s trip.

Long story short -   I checked out Singapore Airline web site and found they had a nice price of 150,000 miles each.    Went back to Chase Sapphire and moved the 300,000 miles Singapore Airline and was able to book using miles about 5 minutes later.  

Alanandra and Jarle have been doing such a good job on there long.   I really wise we get to cruise together.   The CC community is really small and I always get to know some we hae spoken to while ashore.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Daneenm said:

Have a wonderful cruise Jim and Iain!  Looking forward to following your adventures again and you are tiding me over until our Med cruise in September 2024.

Singapore is one of my favorite places to visit!  It was the first place I traveled when I started working at Apple, and my first international trip ever in the early 90s.  Enjoy!

@Daneenm  Just noticed you live close by.   Which facility do you work in? -  My father use to live on Parlett which was just over his wall to the Old Headquarters.   I think my Step Sister just retired as an HR Guru.

I hope that you are really not just sitting in a cubicle somewhere posting this entire adventure, but even if you are, more power to you...I just do not trust anyone nowadays, so appreciate an honest and fair review from someone who is actually going to all these places...Okay, I believe it is you, Jim! 🤩  Oh how I love New Zealand!  Safe Travels to both of you...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Safe travels and a wonderful cruise!  I love your live posts and pictures and learn a lot!  

Congrats on your many happy years together!

Bonnie

Thanks much.    It is hard to believe so my years have gone by.    We are like the Odd have say that he is first my Best Friend in the world.   Of course I am Oscar  (Jack Klugman).  

I never really came out .    I had fraught my inner self because I didn't want to be Gay.  Of course everything including ---- Oh NO Conversion Therapy.   Trust me it is the worst quack "medical/physocologic torture that could ever be done to and Individual.  

I finally figured out at 32 that with  3 kids I love dearly that I had to finally let my Wive of 12 years that I couldn't live a lie for the rest of my life.    The response was almost a mirror of the 1982 Movie "Making Love" with Michael Ontkean and Kate Jackson.

My wife was so angry she outed me to the world including my boss, parent and friends.   It was tough because  because I didn't yet know what it meant to be a Gay Man and also got fired from my job.  

I probably shouldn't be sharing all of this.   I met a wonderful hulk of a Guy that was 6'9"  he was my everything -  He Died of Aids 37 years ago today.   In those day there were no drugs or treatment and when diagnosed was a death sentence.   My next try at a relationship was also a failure -  He committed Suicide. 

I swore off relationships.    Eventually I met Iain after deciding to get my head back together and saw a Counselor for just 4 visits.   He was a very results only counselor and describing all my terrible relationships he gave me my assignment -  

Make a list of everything  of importance of Values, Character, Qualities and Things I enjoy   in your perfect mate.  Took me a full week to compile and I came back with the list.   He took the list and sealed it.    Now let's talk where you will meet that perfect person.  

I met Iain on what they called a Bulletin Chat Board.    I'm was not looking for one night stands nor was Iain.   We chatted and chatted for over 6 months and then finally met for a cup of coffee.   What can I say -   I already knew him and he was exactly as I dreamed and had everything on that list.   

OK i'm stubborn - I said I really like him and love our dating but for me I need to live alone for 6 months before committing to a relationship.    He was certain of what he wanted so he hopped in his car (and he can barely drive) and rented an apartment 3 blocks from my home.   

We almost made the 6 months but the Big Loma Prierta Earthquake hit the day his Concert Grand Piano was delivered to my house.    October 17, 1989 5:04PM. 

I spent 12 hours of terror -  He works in the city and was walking from the Federal Reserve to the Train Station at that exact time.    I started hearing of buildings collapsing on his route then on the highway collapses.     This was before cellphones and the few payphones had lines miles long to make a call .    I sat at the trains stations with no news and no trains until I saw a single engin coming down the tracks at 15 miles an hours checking the tracks and bridges.

It wasn't until early morning that the first train arrived.   We were in tears by the time we finally knew each other were ok.    

That became the day we moved in together.  

• Like 88
  • Thanks 4

49 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I hope that you are really not just sitting in a cubicle somewhere posting this entire adventure, but even if you are, more power to you...I just do not trust anyone nowadays, so appreciate an honest and fair review from someone who is actually going to all these places...Okay, I believe it is you, Jim! 🤩  Oh how I love New Zealand!  Safe Travels to both of you...

I am -   I got carried away on that last post.   It still hits me hard on the anniversary of JR's death.   

I'm eventually going to get up and start posting the update.   I definitely should have started this a couple days ago. 

Progress report -   We are somewhere out over the Pacific - Due to some storms we are rally taking a southerly route but will be getting in an hour early. 

IMG_0336.thumb.png.8f426128b6d3a570af40f914883c30d1.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 9

Hotels- 

Booking a hotel was quick and easy.   Last time we cruised out of Singapore, we stated at Pan Pacific Executive Suites – Beach Road.   We loved it so much that I just waited until their booking window opened and then booked.

All of their units are like an Apartment, including a kitchen, washer and dryer etc, but they also have a free breakfast each morning.   Beach Road is on the outskirts of Singapore and out of the hustle and bustle of Orchard District.    There is a MRT Station about 750 feet away.    Beach Road is also right on the edge of the Arab and Indian Districts. 

I’m sure that many love being at the big Hotel Chains in the middle of the shopping district but we prefer something more relaxed.   We found that the MRT is one of the best transit systems in the world and getting around is rally easy, inexpensive and safe.

image.png.5d1f60c72f69b21b32424bcee80ef172.png

• Like 20

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

@Daneenm  Just noticed you live close by.   Which facility do you work in? -  My father use to live on Parlett which was just over his wall to the Old Headquarters.   I think my Step Sister just retired as an HR Guru.

@Jim_Iain I believe we connected on this before.  I work near you at the Central and Mary campus.  I look for you when I arrive, hoping one day I will see you walking by on your daily walk 😀.  I hit my 34th Apple Anniversary this summer.  Congratulations to your step sister!

• Like 1

IMG_6164.thumb.jpeg.d093d002f332b6550e3802473c73bea7.jpeg

I'f I missed anyone, I apologize, but If I don't get started on 11/20 I may never get there.   I really do read every comment and really feel a need to acknowledge each.  

So here we go  -

Our flight today is a 9:40 AM.    We set our Alarms for 6:00am.    All the packing was done and siting by the front door.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 10

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks much.    It is hard to believe so my years have gone by.    We are like the Odd have say that he is first my Best Friend in the world.   Of course I am Oscar  (Jack Klugman).  

I never really came out .    I had fraught my inner self because I didn't want to be Gay.  Of course everything including ---- Oh NO Conversion Therapy.   Trust me it is the worst quack "medical/physocologic torture that could ever be done to and Individual.  

I finally figured out at 32 that with  3 kids I love dearly that I had to finally let my Wive of 12 years that I couldn't live a lie for the rest of my life.    The response was almost a mirror of the 1982 Movie "Making Love" with Michael Ontkean and Kate Jackson.

My wife was so angry she outed me to the world including my boss, parent and friends.   It was tough because  because I didn't yet know what it meant to be a Gay Man and also got fired from my job.  

I probably shouldn't be sharing all of this.   I met a wonderful hulk of a Guy that was 6'9"  he was my everything -  He Died of Aids 37 years ago today.   In those day there were no drugs or treatment and when diagnosed was a death sentence.   My next try at a relationship was also a failure -  He committed Suicide. 

I swore off relationships.    Eventually I met Iain after deciding to get my head back together and saw a Counselor for just 4 visits.   He was a very results only counselor and describing all my terrible relationships he gave me my assignment -  

Make a list of everything  of importance of Values, Character, Qualities and Things I enjoy   in your perfect mate.  Took me a full week to compile and I came back with the list.   He took the list and sealed it.    Now let's talk where you will meet that perfect person.  

I met Iain on what they called a Bulletin Chat Board.    I'm was not looking for one night stands nor was Iain.   We chatted and chatted for over 6 months and then finally met for a cup of coffee.   What can I say -   I already knew him and he was exactly as I dreamed and had everything on that list.   

OK i'm stubborn - I said I really like him and love our dating but for me I need to live alone for 6 months before committing to a relationship.    He was certain of what he wanted so he hopped in his car (and he can barely drive) and rented an apartment 3 blocks from my home.   

We almost made the 6 months but the Big Loma Prierta Earthquake hit the day his Concert Grand Piano was delivered to my house.    October 17, 1989 5:04PM. 

I spent 12 hours of terror -  He works in the city and was walking from the Federal Reserve to the Train Station at that exact time.    I started hearing of buildings collapsing on his route then on the highway collapses.     This was before cellphones and the few payphones had lines miles long to make a call .    I sat at the trains stations with no news and no trains until I saw a single engin coming down the tracks at 15 miles an hours checking the tracks and bridges.

It wasn't until early morning that the first train arrived.   We were in tears by the time we finally knew each other were ok.    

That became the day we moved in together.  

what an honest story!  

sorry for the loss of past partners but happy you found  your  true life partner.

It's called "fate" !

• Like 12

We usually have a light breakfast of toast and tea or coffee 

At 8:00 it was time to head out.   We were a little concerned as the news was warning of delays at SFO due to Thanksgiving travelers. 

I did my regular comparison of Uber and Lyft. Lyft won out.  

I chose the 4:00 minute option and the car was there in 2 minutes.  You can see by the cluster that plenty of cars were available.   I prefer to give Lyft and up the tip that goes directly to the driver. 

IMG_0271.thumb.png.503b0364c1d59b9e0300e74e35ce82b2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Next stop the Lounge.   Singapore doesn't have a dedicated lounge so use United Polaris Lounge.    Really been enhanced since last time we were there.  

IMG_0282.thumb.jpeg.0c01df4e30eb6b850b937e1e42fe1723.jpeg

IMG_0283.thumb.jpeg.70ff9cddd5570a17bf6d46faf7523e9a.jpeg

IMG_0284.thumb.jpeg.d310a1c378be68fd2b74124316a90661.jpeg

IMG_0340.thumb.jpeg.960ea8dc7e35a37c52da1001cd756114.jpeg

IMG_0293.thumb.jpeg.b68242614126a6db80ea773562367b7d.jpeg

IMG_0292.thumb.jpeg.1d4d6dfa8f5a76ad1fc37ef58fba6330.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11